Job Title: Administrator
Reports to: CFI Vice President for Outreach (with day-to-day oversight by CFI–Portland Advisory Board Chair)
Location: Portland metro area, Oregon
Summary of Role
The Center for Inquiry (CFI) is hiring a part-time, paid administrator to be an integral member of the CFI–Portland branch. The administrator will support an experienced advisory board by:
- Taking notes and action items at monthly board meetings
- Keeping the website and Meetup calendars up-to-date
- Promoting events on social media
- Planning events with duties such as securing venues, scheduling speakers and organizing volunteers
- Organizing fundraising efforts and membership drives
- Sending out communications to the email listserve
- Acting as liaison to CFI Headquarters
To be successful in this role, you'll have proven project management skills, ideally across a variety of types of projects. You should be very comfortable with a computer, able to create high-quality documents and special reports from a variety of sources using your ability to collect and distill information. We may also need you to maintain ongoing reports or databases.
Proven communication experience is a major plus as you'll be the central source of information for the organization’s members and the public. You have to be able to handle confidential information and respond tactfully and promptly to inquiries and problems from all levels of the organization.
- You have 2 years experience as an administrator or other support role. Experience in a nonprofit environment is a plus.
- You have proficiency with basic office applications such as Word and Excel.
- You can write clearly and informatively in a variety of styles (formal business communications, friendly internal communications) and can edit work for spelling and grammar. You can present numerical data effectively. You're able to read and interpret written information.
- You have a proven ability to work independently and can work remotely.
- You have strong organization skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- You can take initiative, follow through on requests until completion, and pay keen attention to detail.
- You can use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- You can engage in regular contact with others (face-to-face, by telephone, virtual meetings, or otherwise), and are able to work and interact in a group or team.
- You have a high school diploma or GED.
- Experience with Blackbaud software is a plus.
In order to be considered for this position, please submit your application to email@example.com. Please include a cover letter with your application addressing why you are interested in working for the Center for Inquiry in Portland and how your experience aligns with the position.
The mission of the Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.
CFI–Portland is a group of rationalists, skeptics, and humanists which sponsors local events, activism, lectures and educational programs. The community draws upon volunteers and CFI members and supporters who are enthusiastic about our agenda and wish to take part in our movement.
CFI–Portland offers an opportunity to put your principles into practice by joining other rationalists to work for positive change in society. In addition, CFI–Portland sponsors social events for freethinkers as well as intellectual programming, and assists with campus outreach.
CFI provides an ethical alternative to religious and paranormal worldviews. In this time of rising religiosity, anti-intellectualism and political turmoil on ethical issues, it is critical that rationalists and freethinkers join together to protect civil liberties, defend reason, and work toward increasing scientific literacy.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may email CFI outreach director Debbie Goddard at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Application Deadline: September 24, 2015