Administrative Assistant for CFI–Portland
Summary of Role:
Are you self-motivated and reliable? Do your colleagues describe you as inventive and creative? Are you passionate about skepticism? If so, you will be a valuable member of our staff.
CFI–Portland created this position to find someone to assist a team of experienced, volunteer board members with administrative duties. The advisory board will provide direction but, for the most part, the administrator will work without close supervision. The administrator will maintain good communication with the board so that there is a clear understanding that projects are getting done.
The administrator will act as the central source of information for the branch’s members and the public and will have extensive communication experience. The job requires handling confidential information and responding thoughtfully and promptly to inquiries and problems from all levels of the organization.
Fundraising is a big part of this job, including the solicitation of donations from local members. To be successful in this role, the administrator will need to cultivate donor relationships.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working independently
- Confirmed project management skills, which ideally include many different types of projects such as educational events and social activities
- Proficiency with a computer, including ability to craft high-quality documents and reports from a variety of sources by collecting and distilling information
- Background with handling confidential information
- Ability to work an evening or on a weekend when CFI–Portland is hosting a special event
- Need to be comfortable calling members to ask for donations and to ask about volunteering, as well as be comfortable introducing themselves to members at events
- Acting as a liaison with CFI’s headquarters, sending in weekly report
- Taking notes and writing down action items at monthly board meetings
- Sending emails to new members and hand-written thank yous for donations
- Organizing fundraising efforts and membership drives
- Planning events with duties such as securing venues, scheduling speakers and organizing volunteers
- Attending events and directing volunteers while being available for members
- Promoting events on social media
- Keeping the website and Meetup calendars up-to-date
- Crafting communications and emailing them via CRM
- Possibly maintaining ongoing reports or databases
- Other tasks asked by the board
- Bonus if you are familiar with Trello, HTML, and Luminate or other CRM.
Hours and Compensation: This position is 20 hours a week and offers $13.50 an hour.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2016
In order to be considered for this position, please submit your resume to email@example.com. Please include a cover letter with your resume addressing why you are interested in working for the Center for Inquiry in Portland and how your experience aligns with the position.
The Center for Inquiry is an educational nonprofit organization. The mission of the Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.
CFI–Portland is a group of rationalists, skeptics, and humanists which sponsors local events, activism, lectures and educational programs. The group draws upon volunteers and donors who are passionate about our agenda and wish to take part in our movement.
CFI provides an ethical alternative to religious and paranormal worldviews. In this time of rising religiosity, anti-intellectualism and political turmoil on ethical issues, it is critical that rationalists and freethinkers join together to protect civil liberties, defend reason, and work toward growing scientific literacy.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact CFI for assistance.