Via the Raif Badawi Foundation for Freedom, and as reported on CNN, we learn of some disturbing breaking news concerning one of the cases featured on the Campaign for Free Expression website:
A Saudi blogger convicted of “insulting Islam” is expected to receive the second 50 lashes of a 1,000-lash sentence soon, his wife says. …
The lashings are to be carried out 50 lashes at a time, 20 weeks in a row. Badawi received the first flogging in January 2015, but since then, the punishment has been pushed back several times. …
In a statement published on the Raif Badawi Foundation website Tuesday, [Badawi’s wife Ensaf] Haidar said that an “informed source” told her that Saudi authorities had approved resuming the floggings.
“The informed source also said that the flogging will resume soon but will be administered inside the prison,” Haidar said. The sentence originally called for the floggings to be carried out in public.
“It is worth mentioning that the same source had warned me of Raif’s pending flogging at the beginning of January 2015 and his warning was confirmed, as Raif was flogged on 9th January,” she said.
We will continue to track this situation and keep you informed if we learn of anything.