About the Center For Inquiry/Chicago
We are a not-for-profit organization that nurtures and interconnects Chicagoland's growing community of secular humanists and free inquirers. We are dedicated to inquiring into and striving to improve all aspects of the human condition.
CFI/Chicago provides an ethical alternative to religious and paranormal worldviews. We work with you AND the CFI home office in New York to help protect civil liberties, defend reason, and work toward increasing scientific literacy. The CFI/Chicago is uniquely positioned to help you live a secular, inquiring, joyful life in Chicago. Join us, won't you? Just click HERE to become a Friend - today!
. . . in service to ourselves . . .
As always, your Center is dedicated to helping you embrace your life as a secular and humanistic person.
Meetings . This is our core activity, and we've been doing it for well over 10 years (the first eight as the Secular Humanist Society of Chicago)! We offer terrific discussions on various Sunday mornings and Sunday afternoons. Our roundtables are almost as stimulating as our coffee!
Social . We also offer monthly in-town social activities. So, for secular, sometimes casual/sometimes serious discussions with like-minded friends over dinner and brews, "suds up" every 4th Monday evening at a downtown restaurant. Or, check out our occasional Friday movie and popcorn nights, usually held once a month - they are NOT your usual Hollywood fare! Or, we're now starting a series of monthly, midweek Ethnic Dinners for relaxed conversation at interesting local ethnic restaurants. Check our Events Calendar regularly for details ....
Skeptical? So are we, about a lot of things. If you're interested in debunking paranormalist claims, you have come to the right place. Our new S-Team, under the leadership of a professional investigator, is starting to check into some outlandish Chicago-area lore - come join the "team" and have some serious fun.
Plus - we're now on Facebook !
Whether you are new to us or an old friend, we hope to see you soon!
. . . and to others
Maybe you have skills you're willing to share with others. The Center can help connect you..... just call our office at 312-226-0420 and leave a message. Or, for more organized charitable work........
Volunteer at the Food Depository . This is now a regular activity for those who are interested: volunteering one Saturday morning every other month at the Greater Chicago Food Depository. It's good work in a well-organized environment, and quite enjoyable!
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among those seeking fulfillment in a humanistic and secular life
- To defend the use of reason, science and the scientific method in medicine and other
- To develop through open discussion the ethical basis of a secular society, and to actively encourage ethical and humanistic practices within our own membership and the community at large
- To help investigate reports of paranormal events and to help prevent persons from being victimized by self-styled "psychics" and "seers"
- To inform the public regarding secular alternatives to supernatural interpretations of the human condition
- To support and defend the principles of democracy, free speech, and the separation of state and church as expressed in the Constitution of the United States, including the Bill of Rights
We welcome your attendance at our next meeting or other event. Attendance is free for Members and is only $6 per meeting for non-members.
Questions? Comments? Other matters? Leave a message for local leader Adam Walker at our part-time office at 312-226-0420.
Or, by mail: The Center For Inquiry/Chicago P.O. Box 7951, Chicago, IL 60680-7951
Or, by email, please click here: email@example.com