Extreme Storms, Floods linked to Climate Change in study
Posted: 18 February 2011 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

from National Geographic News

If you were following headlines when Pakistan was underwater last year, you’ve heard that there may be a connection between climate change and increased flooding. Now new studies of severe storms and catastrophic floods add more evidence to the theory that rising greenhouse gas levels actually do increase the odds of such extreme weather events—and perhaps make them stronger.

The recent research is among the earliest that claim to present observable scientific evidence for a human role in altering these natural phenomena, though climate models and observations have long suggested such a link exists in a warming world.

Francis Zwiers and colleagues studied half a century’s worth of rainfall data (1951 to 1999) from a large swath of the Northern Hemisphere, including the United States, Europe, and Asia. In about two-thirds of the weather stations represented, greenhouse gases—which have risen over the same period—correlate with intensification of heavy precipitation events. ... The study appears this week in the journal Nature.

http://ow.ly/3YZy6

Posted: 18 February 2011 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

Note that it still applies that no single storm says anything about climate change. They’re looking at long-term averages.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 19 February 2011 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4405
Joined  2010-08-15

Yea right. But, considering weather is a product of its climate, the documented atmospheric composition and circulation changes really should get our attention rather than just more shrugs (like the froggie never noticing the water getting hotter.)

Specially considering the dramatic uptick in storm intensities and other extreme weather events being witnessed.

The denial community is like the drunken kid who want’s to see the wreck, rather than avoid it, before he’ll believe in it.  very weird

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 19 February 2011 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge.pm - 19 February 2011 01:50 PM

Yea right. But, considering weather is a product of its climate, the documented atmospheric composition and circulation changes really should get our attention rather than just more shrugs (like the froggie never noticing the water getting hotter.)

Someone did an experiment, and discovered that the froggie does indeed notice the water is getting hotter, and will hop out before getting injured. I can’t be sure of the same with the fundies who will insist, even as we turn into a true twin to Venus, that gawd will save them or it is gawds will be done….

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 February 2011 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 19 February 2011 02:39 PM

Someone did an experiment, and discovered that the froggie does indeed notice the water is getting hotter, and will hop out before getting injured.

That’s good to know.
Froggies are smarter than my metaphorical drunken teenagers.

I’ll bet Jeremiah will drink a toast to that with me.  tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2011 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge.pm - 19 February 2011 08:25 PM
asanta - 19 February 2011 02:39 PM

Someone did an experiment, and discovered that the froggie does indeed notice the water is getting hotter, and will hop out before getting injured.

That’s good to know.
Froggies are smarter than my metaphorical drunken teenagers.

I’ll bet Jeremiah will drink a toast to that with me.  tongue wink

tongue wink ..and we all know that froggies are smarter than fundies too!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 February 2011 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

[... thumbs up smilie ...]

Signature