Fundamentalist boy refuses to wrestle girl for high-school title; she wins by forfeit
Posted: 19 February 2011 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

Boy refuses to wrestle girl for US title

Feb 18 2011
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8213000/boy-refuses-to-wrestle-girl-for-us-title
wrestlex-large.jpg

A standout high school wrestler in the United States has refused to compete against a girl at a major tournament because he says grappling with girls conflicts with his religious beliefs.

Year 10 student Joel Northrup, the son of a church minister, [said] “As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner.”

[Cassie] Herkelman and another female competitor Megan Black made history by being the first females to compete in the competition in its 85-year history.

Northrup had also defaulted three years earlier when he was scheduled to wrestle Black.

“If it’s his religion and he’s strong in his religion, then I just respect that,” Black said. . . .

Posted: 19 February 2011 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
josh_karpf - 19 February 2011 07:51 AM

Boy refuses to wrestle girl for US title

Feb 18 2011
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8213000/boy-refuses-to-wrestle-girl-for-us-title
wrestlex-large.jpg

A standout high school wrestler in the United States has refused to compete against a girl at a major tournament because he says grappling with girls conflicts with his religious beliefs.

Year 10 student Joel Northrup, the son of a church minister, [said] “As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner.”

[Cassie] Herkelman and another female competitor Megan Black made history by being the first females to compete in the competition in its 85-year history.

Northrup had also defaulted three years earlier when he was scheduled to wrestle Black.

“If it’s his religion and he’s strong in his religion, then I just respect that,” Black said. . . .

IMO, organized, competitve wrestling involving 7-10 year old kids is outrageous to start with.  The kids will develop better if they are left on their own to organize their own activities, like sandlot base ball,etc.  Also will have far less chance of permanent injury if they are not pushed to compete by their parents and other adults geting their rocks off pushing this crap.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 19 February 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

I don’t agree that it’s outrageous. Kids do variations on grappling all the time anyway. It’s great exercise, and it teaches them some good stuff about basic self-defense.

It’s true that some adults can cause problems “getting their rocks off” but this is not specific to competitive Greco-Roman wrestling. Like, for example, adults who tell their kids that wrestling with girls is sinful. I suspect that the “against my religion” excuse is just that - an excuse to avoid embarassment.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 19 February 2011 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

TromboneAndrew

I don’t agree that it’s outrageous. Kids do variations on grappling all the time anyway. It’s great exercise, and it teaches them some good stuff about basic self-defense.

It’s true that some adults can cause problems “getting their rocks off” but this is not specific to competitive Greco-Roman wrestling. Like, for example, adults who tell their kids that wrestling with girls is sinful. I suspect that the “against my religion” excuse is just that - an excuse to avoid embarassment.

To bad we will never know. It does seem mighty convenient though.

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 19 February 2011 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4621
Joined  2007-10-05

Yeah, he would have suffered no end of ridicule if a girl had whipped his ass in public. LOL

But using religion as an excuse is lame. He should have just admitted he would have embarrassed himself by, um, wetting his shorts if he wrestled the girl.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 19 February 2011 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

How strange co-ed wrestling?
Jeezus am I out of the loop.

On the one hand I loved high school wrestling myself, having participated three out of my four high school years.  And I credit it with saving my ass on a couple occasions, so I can appreciate a girl wanting to get some experience.  But,  Boy, o’boy I’m going to have to run this one by my own daughter.

Now that I’m thinking about it my 14 month younger sister and I used to wrestle up a storm.  I think the last time we were in our twenties and it was pure fun, no hostility.  But, competition high school wrestling with girls.  Jeez that makes me feel old and square.

[ Edited: 19 February 2011 09:29 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 20 February 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24
garythehuman - 19 February 2011 08:14 AM

IMO, organized, competitve wrestling involving 7-10 year old kids is outrageous to start with.

Erm…year 10 as in the 10th year of grade school. They’re sophomores in high school.

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

When he grows up, he’ll refuse to sell her contraception.

Posted: 21 February 2011 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
cmbf117 - 20 February 2011 10:36 AM
garythehuman - 19 February 2011 08:14 AM

IMO, organized, competitve wrestling involving 7-10 year old kids is outrageous to start with.

Erm…year 10 as in the 10th year of grade school. They’re sophomores in high school.

Sorry I read it wrong then.

When I was in 10th grade I would have enjoyed “wrestling with women,” but I couldn’t find any “who were willing to participate.” Damn.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 21 February 2011 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
DarronS - 19 February 2011 07:57 PM

Yeah, he would have suffered no end of ridicule if a girl had whipped his ass in public. LOL

But using religion as an excuse is lame. He should have just admitted he would have embarrassed himself by, um, wetting his shorts if he wrestled the girl.

For an immature high-schooler, this may be a problem. But it’s also possoble that a loss was also a possibility. Look at the girl’s shoulders. I bet she’s unusually strong, even as thin as she is.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 21 February 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2011-02-20

Andy Kaufman would’ve gone for it.

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
garythehuman - 21 February 2011 11:02 AM

When I was in 10th grade I would have enjoyed “wrestling with women,” but I couldn’t find any “who were willing to participate.” Damn.

Yea, but not in front of everyone, down behind the bleachers.    cool smirk

TromboneAndrew - 21 February 2011 12:57 PM

But it’s also possible that a loss was also a possibility. Look at the girl’s shoulders. I bet she’s unusually strong, even as thin as she is.

She got shoulders.  No doubt she would have been tough, paired off by weight class.  And there’s the attitude thing, from the picture I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if she could be a no-nonsense terror on the mat.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2011 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5181
Joined  2010-06-16

However, she lost in the quarter finals.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 February 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 21 February 2011 05:56 PM

However, she lost in the quarter finals.
Occam

Just goes to show you, there is always a meaner terror waiting around the corner.

That’s why I rarely got past those quarter finals either, I’m a nice guy and I was doing it for fun… but I did learn how to wrestle.

[ Edited: 22 February 2011 12:15 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2011 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 22 February 2011 12:09 PM

Just goes to show you, there is always a meaner terror waiting around the corner.

And a shoggoth down every tunnel.

Sorry, I couldn’t help it.  I’ve had Lovecraft on the brain lately.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron