1 of 12
Red Meat Is Good For You!
Posted: 19 February 2011 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

A new report by the British Nutrition Foundation says that, “Modern farming methods have cut fat levels, which can be even lower than chicken, while red meat provides high levels of vital nutrients, including iron.

A vegetarian having a Cheddar cheese salad will eat seven times more fat, pound for pound, than lean red meat contains.

The review says there is ‘no conclusive link’ between cardiovascular disease and red meat, which actually contains some fatty acids that may protect the heart.”

Suck it, vegans!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 February 2011 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

snake

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 20 February 2011 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2011-02-20

Even if eating meat were the healthiest choice - and I believe there’s far more evidence that it’s not - I am still ethically opposed to taking an animal’s life and consuming its flesh, or even keeping it alive to drink its milk.

Posted: 21 February 2011 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

Ah, we have a vegan in our midst!

After reading through the article, I conclude that it isn’t as conclusive as what you think, Dead Monkey. It still says that too much can be bad for us, and goes through the trouble of listing healthy amounts per day in grams. And technically, vegans would not be eating a Cheddar cheese salad.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 21 February 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Primates are omnivores, however, it’s difficult to catch much meat, so most of their diet was fruit, vegetables, roots, nuts, etc.  We don’t deal with saturated (animal) fats and cholesterol nearly as well as do the carnivore species.  I try to avoid or at least limit meats eggs and dairy fats, and I can recognize BFH’s ethical concerns and evein agree with them to a great extent.  As adults we need very little protein in our diet so most of it is stripped and converted to carbohydrates by our bodies.  We can get more than enough protein from beans, nuts, grains, and vegetables.  BTW, tofu comes from soy beans.  The main problems with a vegan diet is that omega-3 oil, vitamin B-12 and probably folic acid are usually missing.  For women, iron deficiency can also be a problem.  So, if one is a strict vegan the person should probably take those as supplements.

Occam

I try to avoid or at least limit the amount of meat

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 February 2011 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I like eating tasty, tasty animals.  They’re delicious!

And I know what you’re saying, Andrew.  I just thought it was funnier to take a jab at vegetarians and especially vegans.

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

I just thought it was funnier to take a jab at vegetarians and especially vegans.

Why?

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 22 February 2011 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
Occam. - 21 February 2011 11:45 AM

We can get more than enough protein from beans, nuts, grains, and vegetables.

This is the part I’m not sure about.  Protein is not a single homogeneous thing.  A person needs to do quite a bit of combining to get all the different kind of proteins the body needs from vegetables and beans.  Eat a chicken breast and it has all the different kinds of protein in it.  I know that men need a lot more protein than women do.  I have a fast metabolism and carbs don’t stay with me long enough.  Even with meat, I have to eat regularly.

Posted: 22 February 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

A fallacy I am sick of hearing people making is that they will talk about how bad animal fat is for you and they will say how bad meat is for you without distinguishing between the two.  People love the taste of animal fat.  Without the fat, some meats can taste pretty bland.  Here again they don’t distinguish between the two.  Stop saying meat is unhealthful when what you really mean is that animal fat is unhealthful.  Don’t buy a hamburger because you think you love the taste of meat when really it is the fat that you like.  Probably lots of evidence that animal fat is unhealthful (Occam: notice how I keep spelling this word? That’s for you, bud.)  If lean meat is unhealthful, then I’d like to see the evidence.

Posted: 23 February 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
mckenzievmd - 22 February 2011 06:08 PM

Why?

Because it’s funnier?  Maybe it’s because I thought it would ruffle some feathers.  Maybe it’s because I like to more specifically target various groups on occasion.  Maybe it’s because veggies, and vegans in particular, amuse me.  Maybe I don’t have a reason and I just found it more amusing.  Do I really need a reason?

wink

EDIT
Fixed BBCode error and typo.

[ Edited: 23 February 2011 12:35 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2011 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-02-20

DM, I know you’re kidding around, but with all due respect, comedy should aim upward. The fractional minority of people who are vegans and vegetarians (1% of Americans are vegetarian - 1% of vegetarians are vegan) in no way represent a position of privilege or power in the status quo. They don’t really need to be taken down a peg or two. Granted, I found some of them preachy back when I was an omnivore, and it took a number of other influences to convince me to give up meat, not so much anything my veggie friends said to me. But let’s just say we don’t like anyone who is overbearing, and not pick on vegetarians and vegans specifically.

And now, to be overbearing and preachy…

I think it’s time we recognize that meat is a vice. It’s not necessarily going to kill you. Neither is smoking. But sometimes, it will, and both vices are destructive. At least with smoking, you’re making the choice to harm only yourself (if you at least are responsible not to smoke around people who don’t appreciate secondhand smoke). With eating meat, you’re an accomplice both to the destruction of the environment and the slaughter of animal lives. Of course it’s your “right,” as recognized by society, because the majority of human animals haven’t shifted their paradigm yet to appreciate the life of non-human animals (at least, not all non-human animals - check out the book “Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat”). But that doesn’t erase the fact that environment is impacted and animals are killed.

Posted: 23 February 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

BFH, comedy should aim at whatever it wants.  Let’s say I’m a student of the No Sacred Cows/No Safe Targets school of comedy.  I don’t believe anybody is inherently more or less deserving of mockery, satire, and derision than any other group.  Sure, they may deserve more at times, when they do something especially stupid or hypocritical, but in the end it all balances out.  Why should I ignore the hypocrisy, failings, and self-righteousness of one group simply because they’re “on my side” or think they’re right or more sympathetic or the minority?

Also, I do appreciate the lives of “nonhuman animals”, I just don’t give them same accord I give humans.  For instance, I love my cat.  A lot.  I consider her part of my family.  I take good care of her, get her medical aid, protect her from harm, and generally treat her like my child.  But I have no qualms about eating her.  It’s a cat.  She runs away from shadows and eats carpet lint.  I care even less about cows.  Why should I?  If we weren’t raising them for meat and whatnot they’d just wander about aimlessly until they died of starvation or disease or got torn apart by a bear or run down by a truck.

Besides, it’s a bit hypocritical to talk about how we treat animals when you heartlessly slaughter helpless plants.  You ruin the environment for your fields, raising them like chattel, only to coldly cut them down and devour their flesh.  It’s sick.

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Wow, is there no end to the evil of DM?  He just admitted that he devours both animals and plants.  How can he live with himself?  Think of the millions of young carrots which will never be born because he ate their parent before it had a chance to go to seed.  I suppose he’d try to justify himself by saying that he eats fruit that has already dropped to the ground, but here he’s depriving whole colonies of fungus and bacteria of their rightful food.  Terrible, terrible. Shame, shame.  red face

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 February 2011 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-02-20

Sorry, I don’t think the slaughter of animal lives is a laughing matter, and I don’t think the choice of people to not contribute to a destructive industry is something to be mocked.

Posted: 24 February 2011 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
BFH - 24 February 2011 08:57 AM

Sorry, I don’t think the slaughter of animal lives is a laughing matter, and I don’t think the choice of people to not contribute to a destructive industry is something to be mocked.

BFH, due to having pneumonia this past week, I’m just now getting to this conversation and as a vegetarian, I agree with most of what you have said and I do not believe you should be mocked for your views.  I’m sorry others think you should be just because they have their own opinions and food choices.  You’re not alone on this forum though.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 February 2011 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
BFH - 24 February 2011 08:57 AM

I had high blood pressure and marginal diabetes. The Doctor was threatening to put me on medication for both. I became a vegetarian three years ago, well for a lot of reasons. Partly like you I don’t like the idea of killing animals. Also, I never liked the flavor of meat.

However since I’ve stopped eating meat my blood pressure and insulin levels have normalized along with several parameters in my blood. I don’t know if there is any actual scientific correlation but you’d think we are affected by what we eat. So anyway I choose to stick to what seems to be working.

I don’t smoke. I never liked the idea of spending extra money on cigarettes. Also I find smokers stinky and obnoxious. The Doctor says it is very easy to see the how easy it is for me to absorb oxygen into my blood compared to a smoker. However even it it was healthy, you’d never catch me smoking.

It’d be easy to justify these things due to health reason’s or as you justify non-contribution to a destructive industry.

Truth is, I don’t smoke nor eat meat because of health or ethical reasons. I am motivated by numerous other circumstances some of which I have no control over. I tend to think people act according to circumstances mostly they have little control over and later justify the decisions they make according to non-causal reasons that sound logical and plausible.

I am, for whatever reasons, uncomfortable eating meat. I’ve talked to others who would be uncomfortable/unsatisfied not including meant in their diet. I could choose to eat meat but I’d never enjoy it.

So kind of hard for me to judge the ethics/morality of others for acting in ways that seems right and comfortable to them as this is really all I am doing myself.

You can judge others according to a set of ethics which seems “good” according to you. However I wonder how much causality concepts of ethics and morality actually have and how much we act according to circumstances we have little choice in which we later either create or adopt those morals and ethics to justify.

[ Edited: 24 February 2011 10:27 AM by Gnostikosis ]

1 of 12