9 of 12
Red Meat Is Good For You!
Posted: 30 March 2011 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

(If you couldn’t tell, I’m more than a bit obsessed with grilling/smoking. )

Noooooooo…say it ain’t so! wink

For veggies at least, I prefer to steam them. It can be a bit of a trick since there are some such as brussels sprouts which are both easy to overcook and pretty nasty when you do. I had to relearn the timing when we replaced our old and dying electric range with a gas range.

Spinaich doesn’t really work out well on a grill, but I can do some nice things with it using a microwave then topping it with bacon bits and sharp chedder cheese. I don’t like boiling it since it’s too easy to turn it into mush that way.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 30 March 2011 05:18 PM

(If you couldn’t tell, I’m more than a bit obsessed with grilling/smoking. )

Noooooooo…say it ain’t so! wink

LOL

Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 30 March 2011 05:18 PM

For veggies at least, I prefer to steam them. It can be a bit of a trick since there are some such as brussels sprouts which are both easy to overcook and pretty nasty when you do. I had to relearn the timing when we replaced our old and dying electric range with a gas range.

Spinaich doesn’t really work out well on a grill, but I can do some nice things with it using a microwave then topping it with bacon bits and sharp chedder cheese. I don’t like boiling it since it’s too easy to turn it into mush that way.

I have a couple of different types of grill pans that I use for veggies or delicate items like some types of fish. Although I’ve never tried cooking spinach on the grill in any fashion. I’ll have to check in my cookbooks…

Spinach just barely cooked is wonderful, overcooked and it has a nasty bitter taste. At least to me. Except for paneer, my favorite spinach dish of all time.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Try to saute’ the spinach in a little bit of the oil of your choice, along with some garlic (as much as you want), it is delicious that way.
I like Brussel sprouts cooked with a little red wine vinegar and olive oil in the water, or grilled, or roasted.
As for steaming your veggies, try a pressure cooker. Start a little salted water boiling, put the veggies in a steaming basket, cover and pressurize the cooker for two min and voila, steamed veggies!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

HC: You must mean palak paneer. Is your recipe similar to THIS ONE?? (SCROLL down on the page).

It does look good.  tongue rolleye

[ Edited: 31 March 2011 01:18 PM by traveler ]
 Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 31 March 2011 01:09 PM

Try to saute’ the spinach in a little bit of the oil of your choice, along with some garlic (as much as you want), it is delicious that way.
I like Brussel sprouts cooked with a little red wine vinegar and olive oil in the water, or grilled, or roasted.
As for steaming your veggies, try a pressure cooker. Start a little salted water boiling, put the veggies in a steaming basket, cover and pressurize the cooker for two min and voila, steamed veggies!

Sounds great! What time should my wife and I come over.  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

My guess is that after you stopped eating meat you lost weight, either because you were eating less calorie dense food (i.e. less fat), and/or exercising more. Either of these will bring your insulin resistance and glucose levels down.

[ Edited: 31 March 2011 03:15 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
traveler - 31 March 2011 01:13 PM
asanta - 31 March 2011 01:09 PM

Sounds great! What time should my wife and I come over.  cheese

LOL! Any time, just let me know! Corn on the cob is delicious if you melt oil and load it with kosher salt and fresh ground coarse pepper, slather the corn cob with the mixture and grill until just hot!

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Hmm, I don’t eat meat and I weigh more than my brother and my father.

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17
traveler - 31 March 2011 01:11 PM

HC: You must mean palak paneer. Is your recipe similar to THIS ONE?? (SCROLL down on the page).

It does look good.  tongue rolleye

Funny thing is, I don’t make it. smile But always get it when we go out for Indian food.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Thanks HC. As I said my wife and I are vegan, but sometimes when we go out we have to cheat a bit so I’m always looking for good things that are “almost” vegan.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 31 March 2011 01:21 PM

I feel your pain, George. I have to exercise and keep away from sugar to stay somewhat fit.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 31 March 2011 01:31 PM

I feel your pain, George. I have to exercise and keep away from sugar to stay somewhat fit.

I don’t really have a problem with weight, I am 6’ tall and I weigh 180 lbs. It is my brother and my father (they both eat meat) who are underweight. I don’t think it is necessarily what one eats that dictates our weight as much as the quantity of food. I know I do eat larger portions than my brother and my father.

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 31 March 2011 01:43 PM

I don’t really have a problem with weight, I am 6” tall and I weigh 180 lbs. It is my brother and my father (they both eat meat) who are underweight. I don’t think it is necessarily what one eats that dictates our weight as much as the quantity of food. I know I do eat larger portions than my brother and my father.

Good genes! I’m 6’ (not 6”  tongue laugh ) but I have to work to stay around 185.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 31 March 2011 01:46 PM

Good genes! I’m 6’ (not 6”  tongue laugh ) but I have to work to stay around 185.

Well, they say that being overweight is an adaptation to famine. If our world one day ends up in a total chaos and we’ll go through periods of famines, then you can say that your genes are “good genes.”  wink

The motto of this post is that if you’re skinny marry a chubby spouse, and vice-versa, because, “In evolution if you want to win in the long run you don’t want all your eggs in one basket, even if that’s the choicest basket. Sh*t happens, and you better have some back up strategies.”

[ Edited: 31 March 2011 01:56 PM by George ]

Posted: 31 March 2011 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Thus, your lowered blood sugar level!!

Signature 

9 of 12