Red Meat Is Good For You!
Posted: 31 March 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 31 March 2011 03:14 PM
traveler - 31 March 2011 01:31 PM
George - 31 March 2011 01:21 PM

Hmm, I don’t eat meat and I weigh more than my brother and my father.

I feel your pain, George. I have to exercise and keep away from sugar to stay somewhat fit.

Thus, your lowered blood sugar level!!

Now that IS something that the vegan diet has really helped. Before, 130/90. After, 120/80. (multiple readings over time).

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 31 March 2011 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  5178
Joined  2010-06-16

As I logged onto this thread, I noticed the title.  I can’t make a definitive statement about that, but I DO know that green meat is bad for you.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 March 2011 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 31 March 2011 04:13 PM

As I logged onto this thread, I noticed the title.  I can’t make a definitive statement about that, but I DO know that green meat is bad for you.  LOL

Unless you’re a Dr. Seuss character… wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 31 March 2011 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I have a couple of different types of grill pans that I use for veggies or delicate items like some types of fish. Although I’ve never tried cooking spinach on the grill in any fashion.

Nor have I. I prefer to steam it or gradually microwave it. Top it with sharp chedder and crist bacon bits.

Mum likes a touch of apple cider vinagar on it as well.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 10 April 2011 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14

`
Ok kiddies (veggies/vegans and meat-eaters alike!), here’s a recipe that will satisfy all and really surprise some!

Vegan Tofu Cheesecake

8 to 10 pieces of baking chocolate (one package is about right)
1 1/2 cups sugar
16 oz silken tofu
2 tsp vanilla extract
9” pie crust

Put the tofu, sugar, and flavoring in a blender and puree. Put the chocolate in a microwaveable bowl and heat until melted; you may have to stir it half-way through to make sure it heats evenly. Add the melted chocolate to the other ingredients and blend until they’re completely mixed. Empty the blender into the pie crust. Smooth out the surface of the filling and chill it until it sets.

To be honest, I tried it because I wanted to make something for my vegan friend’s birthday and every other recipe I found involved a LOT more work:)  Boy, am I glad I did :)  I’ve made this for people who start to gag at the mere mention of the word ‘vegan’ and/or ‘tofu’, and I’ve given it to children (who came back for more, even after they found out what it’s made of!)

It doesn’t hurt that it’s also easy-kapeezy to make:)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 10 April 2011 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Sounds good axegrrl. I try to avoid too much tofu. Don’t want man-boobs.  tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2011 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
traveler - 10 April 2011 06:14 AM

Sounds good axegrrl. I try to avoid too much tofu. Don’t want man-boobs.  ;-P

`
*teehee*

then you can take comfort in the fact that the above recipe is probably more chocolate than tofu!

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 10 April 2011 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

You could try some stinky tofu.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 April 2011 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 10 April 2011 06:18 AM

You could try some stinky tofu.

but that’s not vegan…

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2011 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Good point.  Though it is freaking disgusting.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 April 2011 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Axegrrl - 10 April 2011 02:35 AM

`
Ok kiddies (veggies/vegans and meat-eaters alike!), here’s a recipe that will satisfy all and really surprise some!

Vegan Tofu Cheesecake

8 to 10 pieces of baking chocolate (one package is about right)
1 1/2 cups sugar
16 oz silken tofu
2 tsp vanilla extract
9” pie crust

Put the tofu, sugar, and flavoring in a blender and puree. Put the chocolate in a microwaveable bowl and heat until melted; you may have to stir it half-way through to make sure it heats evenly. Add the melted chocolate to the other ingredients and blend until they’re completely mixed. Empty the blender into the pie crust. Smooth out the surface of the filling and chill it until it sets.

To be honest, I tried it because I wanted to make something for my vegan friend’s birthday and every other recipe I found involved a LOT more work:)  Boy, am I glad I did smile  I’ve made this for people who start to gag at the mere mention of the word ‘vegan’ and/or ‘tofu’, and I’ve given it to children (who came back for more, even after they found out what it’s made of!)

It doesn’t hurt that it’s also easy-kapeezy to make:)

`

Sounds delicious.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 10 April 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

I’ve made this for people who start to gag at the mere mention of the word ‘vegan’ and/or ‘tofu’, and I’ve given it to children (who came back for more, even after they found out what it’s made of!)

Sounds like something I might go for. Satisfies the sweet tooth and high in protein. The fat content would still be a bomb, but you pretty much run into that with any sort of custard based pie.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 10 April 2011 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Total Posts:  5178
Joined  2010-06-16

Sounds interesting. My only comment is avoid using a ready made pie crust since they usually contain saturated fat or occasionally even animal lard.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 April 2011 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
Occam. - 10 April 2011 02:09 PM

Sounds interesting. My only comment is avoid using a ready made pie crust since they usually contain saturated fat or occasionally even animal lard.

`
Yep, great point.  The friend I made it for was so surprised/smitten with it, that she did her own version and made a crust out of crushed nuts and dates…...and oh my god, it was simply divine!  :)

`

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2011 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

I can’t say as I’m all that terribly concerned about what sort of fats go into a pie crust. If I’m making something which needs it, I’m not counting calories. Perhaps I should, but I’m not.

That said, I tend to prefer homemade if only because I know what’s going into it and can make it to suit my tastes.

Signature 

10 of 12