11 of 12
Red Meat Is Good For You!
Posted: 13 April 2011 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2011-02-05

What about deforestation issues caused by soy farming (such as in Brazil or SE Asia)? What about the level of processing/chemical enrichment processes that foods and/or vitamins have to go through in order to become fortified? What about the transportation of goods (floral or faunal) across long distances in climate-controlled reefers? If we apply words like “slaughter” and “murder” to the harvesting of animal flesh, then must we call all omnivorous or carnivorous species murderous?

I shifted away from vegetarianism toward consumption of local, seasonal foods (including meat, mostly that I have taken myself) in accordance with what I understand to be a more environmentally responsible set of consumption practices*. I tend to get slightly annoyed at the assumption that not eating meat is inherently more environmentally conscious than omnivory.

*Obviously this isn’t entirely true, as I still buy some products that have a national or global distribution, and sometimes I eat out, but I have made an overwhelming change in the sense that I stock my fridge with meat either that I have killed or from Butcher Frank’s, and my pantry almost exclusively with foods that have been produced on the Front Range.

Signature 

“Ah! How cheerfully we consign ourselves to Perdition!”
-Melville-

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”
-Pynchon-

Posted: 13 April 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
The_Au_Mean - 13 April 2011 08:49 AM

What about deforestation issues caused by soy farming (such as in Brazil or SE Asia)? What about the level of processing/chemical enrichment processes that foods and/or vitamins have to go through in order to become fortified? What about the transportation of goods (floral or faunal) across long distances in climate-controlled reefers? If we apply words like “slaughter” and “murder” to the harvesting of animal flesh, then must we call all omnivorous or carnivorous species murderous?

I shifted away from vegetarianism toward consumption of local, seasonal foods (including meat, mostly that I have taken myself) in accordance with what I understand to be a more environmentally responsible set of consumption practices*. I tend to get slightly annoyed at the assumption that not eating meat is inherently more environmentally conscious than omnivory.

*Obviously this isn’t entirely true, as I still buy some products that have a national or global distribution, and sometimes I eat out, but I have made an overwhelming change in the sense that I stock my fridge with meat either that I have killed or from Butcher Frank’s, and my pantry almost exclusively with foods that have been produced on the Front Range.

You’re right on all the environmental points. Eating local “stuff” is always a good idea. If you eat meat, then free range local is the ONLY way to go.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 April 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26
traveler - 13 April 2011 10:24 AM

You’re right on all the environmental points. Eating local “stuff” is always a good idea. If you eat meat, then free range local is the ONLY way to go.

Even if it costs twice as much?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 April 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 13 April 2011 01:19 PM

Environmentally. Cost is personal decision - NB, I’m vegan.  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 April 2011 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
traveler - 13 April 2011 01:40 PM

Environmentally. Cost is personal decision - NB, I’m vegan.  smile

Well, I was looking at things from an economic and realistic viewpoint.  You know, the point of view of the vast majority of poor people. wink

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-05

DM, it’s kind of a tradeoff. If you choose to buy locally-sourced food from high end grocery stores it will definitely cost you. As far as vegetables and fruits go, I split buying at the farmer’s market (which is pretty cheap if you go to the real ones and not the one in Boulder), buying from those marked-up grocery stores, and growing my own (I provide probably about 30% of my fruits and veggies via a makeshift garage greenhouse). That 30% is quite a bit of work…eating 100% garden-grown would be probably a full-time endeavor. Meatwise I generally kill two or three megafaunal species a season, which provides about 60% of my meat at drastically less than the cost would be to buy that same volume of meat, even beef. The rest I buy from Butcher Frank’s, near my house, which stocks meat from front range farms (and usually a visit to the store delivers an opportunity to actually meet the farmers), and all the beef is grass-fed (from what I understand, it is pretty uncommon to find grain-fed livestock in Colorado). My income level has dropped about 40% over the past three years as I have shifted away from being a working biologist to being a working mountaineering guide, but my food costs haven’t really changed. I don’t know that I post savings, necessarily, but I think I have managed to keep the costs probably similar to what I would be spending buying it all.

Of course, if I ate out a lot less than I do then I would probably really save some dough. wink

Signature 

-Melville-

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”
-Pynchon-

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I can’t really grow my own veggies and whatnot.  My landlord would probably call the cops the second she saw me setting up hydroponics in my apartment. LOL  The only place I know of where I can get local meat costs 50% more than a grocery store.  And that’s counting my gf’s employee discount.  I can get some from my brother and my dad, but it’s kind of hit or miss on whether they’ll get anything hunting.  I don’t hunt myself.  It’s horribly boring.  I know of a couple places where I can buy a side of beef, but I have nowhere to store it.  I don’t think my mom would be too happy if I showed up at her house with half a cow and asked, “Can I keep this in your freezer?” LOL

I hear you on the eating out, man.  But when I haven’t ate anything in 6 hours and need to be to work in 10 minutes, it’s all I’ve got.  And it beats Ramen.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-05
Dead Monky - 13 April 2011 03:03 PM

And it beats Ramen.

Hell yeah.

My point, though I diverted a bit, was not to proselytize about my own lifestyle choices. It was to counter what I see (saw?) as a sanctimonious yet unsupported assumption that the movement away from consuming meat is a more environmentally sound choice. I can’t speak to peoples’ feelings regarding killing animals; I don’t have a problem with it (obviously) as a concept and haven’t ever seen a sound argument for why it is wrong, while on the other hand have been part of a good deal of research demonstrating the need to increase hunting quotas in certain populations in order to maintain or restore ecological stability. You can’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I just felt that this whole thread needed an alternate voice, and for someone to point out the environmental problems presented by increased soy and processed food consumption. FWIW.

I’m on thig guy’s wavelength:
img_2782.JPG

Signature 

-Melville-

-Pynchon-

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I hear ya.  I probably could have argued more for we meat eaters, but I didn’t really feel like it.  I kind of stopped reading it for a while and by then I’d lost any interest in it.

And that lion sure looks tasty. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2011 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

If you truly want the environment to work, then a sustainable product that costs more is not more expensive, because the unsustainable product is simply not an option, it is simply not worth ruining the environment.  Most people aren’t that committed to sustainability, and so they judge how committed they are verses how much they want that cool new electronic device.

However in a capitalist system then the people who the capitalists choose to keep poor must choose for today and cannot afford to choose for tomorrow, they can only afford what money they have today, living hand to mouth.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 13 April 2011 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-05

Those damn capitalists.

Signature 

-Melville-

-Pynchon-

Posted: 16 April 2011 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Here’s an amusing little story.  Apparently, VegNews, the nation’s leading vegan magazine, has been using stock pictures of food with meat in them for years.  Now granted, it’s been without their knowledge, but still, ironic and funny.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Total Posts:  6020
Joined  2009-02-26
BFH - 20 February 2011 07:04 PM

Even if eating meat were the healthiest choice - and I believe there’s far more evidence that it’s not - I am still ethically opposed to taking an animal’s life and consuming its flesh, or even keeping it alive to drink its milk.

While I agree in principle with your argument, I see humane animal husbandry as a symbiotic function.
A well tended flock of sheep lives a life of luxury free from predation. In return the wool and milk provides us with clothing and sustenance.
A well kept beehive in a clover field provides an ideal environment for the bees, while providing this environment with assured pollination and rewards us with honey and royal jelly.
A temperature regulated spacious chicken coop provides a safe and luxurious environment for the chickens, while providing us with eggs.

The key is the application of a mutually beneficial environment, which all too often has turned into pure animal exploitation.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 09 July 2011 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Total Posts:  6020
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 13 April 2011 01:19 PM

Especially if it costs a little more. Everyone should benefit from their conscientious labors. Cheap goods always means lower quality.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 09 July 2011 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Total Posts:  4121
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 13 April 2011 03:33 PM

I hear ya.  I probably could have argued more for we meat eaters, but I didn’t really feel like it.  I kind of stopped reading it for a while and by then I’d lost any interest in it.

And that lion sure looks tasty. LOL

240px
Now that would make a hell of a picture, you pouncing on a lion like that, of course with dagger in hand and a spare clutched between your teeth.

As for hunting being boring, though I’ve only gone a few times, I’m totally fascinated by the perceptual difference between walking though the woods hippy-dippy style, grooving and taking in what comes my way… to the total focus hunting triggers.
In fact, last year I wrote a long post about it, but alas was out of internet range so long, it sort of faded into oblivion.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

11 of 12