5 of 12
Red Meat Is Good For You!
Posted: 07 March 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

On Guam and in the Philippines, they are called caribou. Difficult to believe they are the same species.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 March 2011 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
mckenzievmd - 07 March 2011 06:26 PM

I was recently in Laos, and the water buffalo there are astoundingly placid. Kids clamber all over them like playground equipment. I’ve spent some time onmy relatives dairy farms, and the old Holstein is a pretty dim bulb, but even they wouldn’t put up with that!

And their mainly domesticated, pulling the plow?  Or are there populations of ‘wild’ buffaloes?

Than there are those sacred cows in India.  Wonder how they’re doing these days?

{this isn’t that far off topic, red meat on the hoof wink . . . is good for you}

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 07 March 2011 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge.pm - 07 March 2011 11:21 PM
mckenzievmd - 07 March 2011 06:26 PM

I was recently in Laos, and the water buffalo there are astoundingly placid. Kids clamber all over them like playground equipment. I’ve spent some time onmy relatives dairy farms, and the old Holstein is a pretty dim bulb, but even they wouldn’t put up with that!

And their mainly domesticated, pulling the plow?  Or are there populations of ‘wild’ buffaloes?

Than there are those sacred cows in India.  Wonder how they’re doing these days?

{this isn’t that far off topic, red meat on the hoof wink . . . is good for you}

There are herds of wild water buffalo in Africa, they are considered the most dangerous of the ‘big game’ animals (although I believe these hunters deserve what they get—killing for no good reason—).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 March 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

And I believe they will often kill a lion that attacks them.  I like that attitude - very gentle until pissed.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 March 2011 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

Check it out.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 08 March 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

You could see the personalities of the buffaloes.  Most of them wanted to be part of the pack, strength in numbers.  But a few of them were more bold and ventured out by themselves to attack the lions.  It was funny, one buffalo was at the front of the heard and was being pushed into the lions and decided “No, I don’t want any part of this” and went to the back of the pack.  That buffalo ruined its chances of ever getting laid.

[ Edited: 09 March 2011 09:24 AM by brightfut ]

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

The video was fascinating.  I loved it when the herd returned for the calf, and then one water buffalo charged a lion flinging it into the air, the king of the jungle takes a hit, down king go down!  smile

Meat, good healthy complete protein, good vitamins, good meat.  Water buffalo wins the day, bad for the meat eaters who picked on the young.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 09 March 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I think it’s interesting that the buffalo don’t try harder to injure the lions.  At some points it looks like the buffalo could disable or even kill the lions, but they don’t.  In a large herbivore is defense instinctual, but not aggression?.  Perhaps for the system to work, the buffalo need the lions taking the weak and defective keeping the genetics strong.  I suspect that a predator at the mercy of a group of humans would be destroyed not just driven off.  I know I found myself wanting the buffalo to really kick some butt.

I also am amazed that 4ft tall Australopithecus could survive long in that environment.  It’s clear they must have, but wouldn’t it be fascinating to have a video of early man dealing with a tribe of lions.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 09 March 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Hippos are better than buffalo.  They don’t screw around.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 09 March 2011 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I agree Jeciron, I don’t know how the calf survived clutches of a pack of lions and the jaws of two crocodiles?  It seemed like the calf walked away at the end, but that was hard to see and the video ended at that climax.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Im a vegan in training - I discovered that being a full vegan was a lot more complex than I had originally thought - and I don’t eat enough to just cut out all meat and dairy from my diet all at once. I need to learn about combining proteins, and need to find a way to make sure I get enough iron - as I can become anemic if I neglect my iron intake.

It’s crazy - because I never realized how many food items at the grocery store contained animal products, eggs, or dairy.

Right now I just focus on eating whole organic foods, with the main component of my diet consisting of fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

I stopped drinking milk -and drink soy and almond milk, but still like to put feta cheese on my salads.

I allow myself to have salmon or fish once or twice a month. hehe I call that day “fishmas” MERRY FISHMAS!

Just to be clear, I didnt stop eating meat because I didnt like it - I miss BBQ steak, and lamb chops with int sauce. I just cant bring myself to contribute to an industry which has turned a living creature in to a “product or food unit” and in most cases neglects to kill the animal in a respectful way - to cause the least amount of pain. They have forced livestock to eat grain - which it naturally doesnt eat - which in turn causes the animals to develop bacterial infections such as e.coli - which then causes them to pump the animals full of antibiotics and hormones ( even the healthy animals are administered the drugs) So this has produced contaminated meat which has a resistance to not just 1 antibiotic but several. SUPERBUGS. There are some people who are being given the strongest available antibiotics (the kind usually reserved for pregnant women) for minor infections such as tonsillitis - by eating meat that has been feed antibiotics you are transferring that antibiotic resistance to your body - and weakening your bodies ability to fight off infection.

All of those who want to laugh, go ahead.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQVll-MP3I

and this: http://freedocumentaries.org/teatro.php?filmID=281&lan=en&size=big

might blow your mind

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 13 March 2011 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Being part of a species which clawed it’s way to the top of the food chain and survived by being willing to eat anything which is edible, I’m not about to take up grazing on soybeans and alfalfa sprouts.

That much aside, I’m very careful about where I get my meat and animal products from. Fresh Market or Whole Foods for me, if only because these chains take quality control as well as sanitation very seriously.

To quote the old punch line; “Red meat isn’t bad for you. Blue-green meat, THAT’S bad for you!” sick

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 13 March 2011 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
jump_in_the_pit - 09 March 2011 05:57 PM

I agree Jeciron, I don’t know how the calf survived clutches of a pack of lions and the jaws of two crocodiles?  It seemed like the calf walked away at the end, but that was hard to see and the video ended at that climax.

yeah, Even Super Dave Osbourne wouldn’t have walked away from that.

Posted: 13 March 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 13 March 2011 09:41 AM

Being part of a species which clawed it’s way to the top of the food chain and survived by being willing to eat anything which is edible, I’m not about to take up grazing on soybeans and alfalfa sprouts.

Yeah, well, our species also has the history of making love to anything which is lovablegrin It seems to be becoming very popular lately, to derive ethics and some kind of guide for the present and the future in general from evolution. I have already said it many times elsewhere but evolution tells us nothing about how we should behave.

Posted: 13 March 2011 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>I have already said it many times elsewhere but evolution tells us nothing about how we should behave. <<

Can’t think of any reason why it should. The only thing evolution cares about is whether or not something survives long enough to produce offspring. So long as we’re being fruitful AND multiplying, it could care less about the details.

Ethics and morality, as far as I’ve been able to determine, are an artifact, albit an essential one, which allows us to live together and co-operate without cutting each others throats.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

5 of 12