How BFH got to CFI
Posted: 20 February 2011 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2011-02-20

Hello CFI Forum People,

When I was a kid growing up in Phoenix, I loved to check out Martin Gardner’s Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle and Delight from my library.

I grew up in a religious family, but I came up in the punk rock scene, so they canceled each other out and I became the laziest of Christians. That is, I believed enough not to embrace the atheism that my friends had, but not enough to keep going to church. The more I have studied about history, ethics, and biology, the less comfortable I feel identifying myself as any religion. While I am still figuring out where I stand on a god or an afterlife, I am certain that I am against how religion has affected politics and science in the U.S.

I live in L.A. now. I host a podcast called “Shakeytown Radio,” and when actress and playwright Lauren Weedman appeared on our show, I followed her visit up by attending her one-woman play at the Steve Allen Theatre. The venue is located at the Center for Inquiry in Hollywood, and there is a lot of information in the lobby about this secular humanist worldview that I had never looked at depth into.

After hearing about Gardner’s death, I started to read more of his books and articles about him online, and I found out about his association with the CFI. In fact, most of the reading I have been doing lately has been related to fringe science, and arguments over evolution and climate change (two non-Gardner books I’ve enjoyed lately: Anarchy Evolution by Greg Graffin; How It Ends by Chris Impey). I recently checked out more Gardner books at the library, and recalled my visit to the Steve Allen Theatre. This morning, I was listening to the CFI “Point of Inquiry” podcast, and looked more into their work.

I’m excited to participate in these forums and attend events at the CFI here in L.A.

Thanks for reading.

Posted: 20 February 2011 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15358
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Brodie. Gardner’s one of the best places to start. He and Sagan were two of the real fathers of contemporary scientific skeptical thought, and I think the first skeptical book I ever read was his Fads and Fallacies, still an amazingly prescient book.

I was going to tell you to feel free to join in the discussions, but I see you already have!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 March 2011 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

We’ve talked already, but I wanted to welcome you here none the less.

Posted: 12 March 2011 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Welcome smile

I’ve found joining CFI has been really insightful, and has allowed me to engage in really great discussions with people (both like-minded and not) But I enjoy having the opportunity to hear so many different opinions and beliefs - I helps me develop my own feelings towards life and the universe.

I hope you find CFI as helpful as I have.

-Kaleigh

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

‹‹ hello from kentucky, USA      Summerdream ››