Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 October 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2432 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3176
Joined  2011-11-04
StephenLawrence - 30 September 2012 01:34 AM
TimB - 30 September 2012 01:08 AM

I think that the compatibilist would say that even in the chess game, in which a player has one and only one move, to avoid checkmate, that move would be an act of free will, (if the player took the one available move) because the player wanted to make that move rather than concede.

In your example the player has other possible moves, it’s just they don’t avoid check mate.

A little later in the game in the book, this is the situation black finds himself in and the author naturally calls this move a forced move, the author writes “forced because…” and then points out the mating combination that would follow otherwise.

Stephen

In my example, we don’t know the outcome of the game.  We only know, at that point, there is one and only one move to avoid checkmate, whether it is on the next move or a combination of moves.  Hence, the move is “forced”, but is still a choice re: continuing to play.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 October 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2433 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2006-12-20
TimB - 01 October 2012 03:39 PM
StephenLawrence - 30 September 2012 01:34 AM
TimB - 30 September 2012 01:08 AM

I think that the compatibilist would say that even in the chess game, in which a player has one and only one move, to avoid checkmate, that move would be an act of free will, (if the player took the one available move) because the player wanted to make that move rather than concede.

In your example the player has other possible moves, it’s just they don’t avoid check mate.

A little later in the game in the book, this is the situation black finds himself in and the author naturally calls this move a forced move, the author writes “forced because…” and then points out the mating combination that would follow otherwise.

Stephen

In my example, we don’t know the outcome of the game.  We only know, at that point, there is one and only one move to avoid checkmate, whether it is on the next move or a combination of moves.  Hence, the move is “forced”, but is still a choice re: continuing to play.

Yes fair enough. It was just worth pointing out that the author was using free will in contrast to just such a move.

Stephen

Posted: 02 October 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2434 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2012-06-18

Proof that there is no FREE WILL.

Here is a link to hundreds of posts showing the translations of names and events where exact dates (of happening, birth, death) were pre-coded into the name by GOD.  Indicating that everything is predetermined.

http://ufoetblog.com/?p=7203

Posted: 03 October 2012 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2435 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
etcorngods - 02 October 2012 06:55 AM

Proof that there is no FREE WILL.

Here is a link to hundreds of posts showing the translations of names and events where exact dates (of happening, birth, death) were pre-coded into the name by GOD.  Indicating that everything is predetermined.

http://ufoetblog.com/?p=7203

Please show a single predictive instance of those completely insane formulations, rather than just retrospective gobbledygook.  For example take a living celebrity’s name and show something definitive that they will do or something definitive that will happen to them (that has not yet happened).  (Something that could not easily be predicted.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 October 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2436 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-18

Please show a single predictive instance of those completely insane formulations, rather than just retrospective gobbledygook.  For example take a living celebrity’s name and show something definitive that they will do or something definitive that will happen to them (that has not yet happened).  (Something that could not easily be predicted.)

You should find another translator—the miracles shown in the referenced post are astounding—maybe you aren’t man enough to be able to see it.

Posted: 03 October 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2437 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
etcorngods - 03 October 2012 11:39 AM

maybe you aren’t man enough to be able to see it.

Was that a typo? Did you mean mad enough?  LOL

Stephen

Posted: 03 October 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2438 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-18

Was that a typo? Did you mean mad enough?

You wouldn’t know it, but the word “Mad” does translate to “Man”.
D is 4, book Nu.
U is 21, N+g, ng-66-66 = “o”, drop it.
21 i 2+19, “Bs”.
Therefore:
Mad = “Man”.
Mad = “Man BS”
You should have gotten a technical education, then you would know how to play geek games, do something other than bullshit.

Posted: 03 October 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2439 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

etc = and other things
or = conjunction used to connect alternative things
n = unknown variable
go = move
ds = dead space

translation: ectocorngods means to move things alternatively such that an unknown variable is dead space.  IOW, you can move letters around to make them seem to mean what you want them to mean (as if you know the unknown) but it is all meaningless drivel.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2440 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
etcorngods - 03 October 2012 11:39 AM

You should find another translator—the miracles shown in the referenced post are astounding—maybe you aren’t man enough to be able to see it.

I am man enough to see that all of the examples that I looked at, were predictive of nothing. And that they were not miraculous.  They were astoundingly a waste of someone’s time in moving letters and numbers around in such a way as to appear to some few ignorant observers as if they could have predicted some news event.  But they, in fact, predicted nothing.

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2012 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2441 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-18

I am man enough to see that all of the examples that I looked at, were predictive of nothing. And that they were not miraculous.  They were astoundingly a waste of someone’s time in moving letters and numbers around in such a way as to appear to some few ignorant observers as if they could have predicted some news event.  But they, in fact, predicted nothing.

You can’t really be that NUMB to not see the fact that the language is pre-coded.  Thousands of examples—and you think it is some “do what you want to make it what you want” game

Posted: 04 October 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2442 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
etcorngods - 04 October 2012 04:20 AM

You can’t really be that NUMB to not see the fact that the language is pre-coded.  Thousands of examples—and you think it is some “do what you want to make it what you want” game

One thousand or one million examples of a goofy manipulation, is still a goofy manipulation.  If so much is “pre-coded” why can there not be a single convincing prediction?  All you have seem to have is retrospective silliness.  (e,g,, Kate Middleton, little tits pics)

Your post does raise the question, for me, however: If pre-destination is in fact, the case, does this rule out compatibilist free will?  I’m guessing it does not.

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2443 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-18

Your post does raise the question, for me, however: If pre-destination is in fact, the case, does this rule out compatibilist free will?  I’m guessing it does not.

That’s my guess (it does not)—but it is like which came first, GOD or the Universe, and many other like questions.

Posted: 04 October 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2444 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
TimB - 04 October 2012 04:05 PM

It depends what you mean by pre-destined. If you just mean pre-determined then that is what compatibilist free will is compatible with. One physically possible future given the initial conditions. So by definition it doesn’t rule out compatibilist free will.

Stephen

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2445 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-18

It depends what you mean by pre-destined. If you just mean pre-determined then that is what compatibilist free will is compatible with. One physically possible future given the initial conditions. So by definition it doesn’t rule out compatibilist free will.

I think you are right.  Strange stuff.  Such conclusions, once they start to be understood. and the word spreads, will cause lots of change, wars.

[ Edited: 05 October 2012 02:03 AM by etcorngods ]

163 of 168