Scientists Form Group to Support Science-Friendly Candidates
Posted: 28 September 2006 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Just noticed this today from the NYTimes. (May require login).

Here’s the beginning of the article:

[quote:25bac25add=“New York Times”][b:25bac25add]Scientists Form Group to Support Science-Friendly Candidates[/b:25bac25add]

By CORNELIA DEAN
Several prominent scientists said yesterday that they had formed an organization dedicated to electing politicians ¤who respect evidence and understand the importance of using scientific and engineering advice in making public policy.Ë

Organizers of the group, Scientists and Engineers for America, said it would be nonpartisan, but in interviews several said Bush administration science policies had led them to act. The issues they cited included the administration╠s position on climate change, its restrictions on stem cell research and delays in authorizing the over-the-counter sale of emergency contraception.[/quote:25bac25add]

I note that on the group’s website they have a mission statement. This is what it says:

[quote:25bac25add=“SEFORA”]Today a group of scientists and concerned citizens launch a new organization, Scientists and Engineers for America, dedicated to electing public officials who respect evidence and understand the importance of using scientific and engineering advice in making public policy.

The principal role of the science and technology community is to advance human understanding.  But there are times when this is not enough.  Scientists and engineers have a right, indeed an obligation, to enter the political debate when the nation╠s leaders systematically ignore scientific evidence and analysis, put ideological interests ahead of scientific truths, suppress valid scientific evidence and harass and threaten scientists for speaking honestly about their research.

We ask every American who values scientific integrity in decision-making to join us in endorsing a basic Bill of Rights for Scientists and Engineers.  Together we will elect new leadership beginning in 2006, and we will continue to work to elect reasonable leadership in federal, state and local elections for years to come.[/quote:25bac25add]

Now, this is the first I’ve heard of this group, so I don’t have any specific info about how credible or dedicated they are; but it sure sounds like a good cause!

Check out their "Bill of Rights for Scientists and Engineers" and see if you don’t agree with me.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sue├▒o de la raz├│n produce monstruos

Posted: 28 September 2006 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

CFI should definately contact and support this group.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 16 October 2006 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-09-21

I have visited the SEforA website and signed up for their email alerts but don’t know much about this group. The information on the web page seems very good but somewhat vague. I’m wondering if any one has any more detailed information about this group. I hope it is something we can get behind.

DBH

Posted: 16 October 2006 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Dunno much of anything about it except what’s on their website ... at least that looks quite good.

My guess is that they’re just getting started; something to pay attention to and see where it goes.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 20 October 2006 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-09-21

I recieved an email this morning about two appearances by SEA members.

On-Air with the Colbert Report
Thursday, October 19th
Tonight Dr. Peter Agre, 2003’s Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, will be talking about SEA with “Mega American” Steven Colbert on Comedy Central.

Talk on Talk of the Nation
Friday, October 20th
Tomorrow, Dr. Susan Wood is Talk of the Nation’s guest for the entire hour on NPR.  Dr. Wood resigned from the Food and Drug Administration on principle over the continued delay of approval of Plan B by the FDA.
Please call Talk of the Nation tomorrow at (800) 989-8255 with questions and comments for Dr. Wood.

Posted: 05 November 2006 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Just noticed that SEForA has a very good blog up at their site . Deals with issues of science and politics, mostly. (I.e. science being thwarted by politics).

One may quibble with individual statements on the site (for example, the assertion that “science is not anti-God. It is neutral.” ), but there is no doubt that they are doing excellent work there so far.

NB: the blog entries are written by different members of SEForA, rather than a single blogger.

Signature 

Doug