Chimp Meat On Sale In Britain.  Mmm….Chimp Meat.
Posted: 01 March 2011 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Apparently, there’s a pretty big black market for African bush meat, and other smuggled meats, in Europe.  (“Smuggled meats” is hilarious sounding.)  Chimp goes for around 40 pounds a kilo.

I wonder where I can get some panda meat.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 March 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Dead Monky - 01 March 2011 08:39 AM

(“Smuggled meats” is hilarious sounding.)

No, what’s hilarious is your screen name in regards to this story!  grin

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 01 March 2011 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

And yes, I know that chimpanzees are not monkeys.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 01 March 2011 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Hah!  That’s true.  I hadn’t even thought of that.  Mmmm….dead monkey.

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Mmmm, chilled monkey brains!

chilledmonkeybrains.jpg

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

That at least looked more appetizing than the eyeball soup and the live snakes.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2011 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

If you want the exotic adventure of eating strange meats, then try a hot dog or a hamburger.  They throw every scrap in their that they can’t sell as a steak or a chop!  smile  Dead Monkey, is it a Freudian slip that you slipped that story onto this forum?

Chimps are so like humans, this is supporting bad poachers’ behaviors, for what?  Why would you want to eat our great ape cousins when eating us is disgusting cannibalism?  If killing us is murder, than killing great apes for sport or food is what?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 05 March 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5500
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with JITP’s comment, but it does bring us back to the posts by our new vegan member, BFH.  Where do we draw the line between us and them?  If it bothers us to eat primates, why not be upset at eating mammals?  Next, should we eat warm blooded animals, or verrtebrates? 

Or what about the guy who used to give his neighbors deer meat from his hunting trips, then was finally arrested as a serial killer and said he had never killed a deer in his life?

Occam

[ Edited: 05 March 2011 02:34 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 March 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Cannibalism is just sound economics.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Well Johnathan Swift put that economic idea well in regards to the British attitude towards the Irish.  Oh those Brits, now their eating chimps huh?

About drawing lines and cherry-picking species… I pick humans, of course.  And I’m willing to expand that out to the Great Apes.  Occam proposes expanding it further, as I alluded to in the Red Meat thread, yeah people can cherry-pick this or that species, some in the USA like to cherry pick dogs while Koreans don’t, some in the USA cherry-pick horses while others don’t, I’m willing to cherry-pick the great apes and others.  Because I am cherry-picking I have little hope of convincing others. 

I won’t eat Slimehead (Orange roughy) because it is so long-lived, I think it is disgusting to eat a species like that, they live longer than we do!  I don’t want to eat the long-lived ones.  But in my eating plan the small sort lived ones, lower on the food chain get the short end of the stick.

In the end though, about the Great Apes, if you people are willing to favor (cherry-pick) humans, and the Great Apes are proving to be so very much like us in brain and body, then can’t you take the small step of also favoring them to be excluded from our food chain?  It is easy to do since in the USA we do not include them in the food chain anyway.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 07 March 2011 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

A Modest Proposal was brilliant.  Sure, what Swift proposed is at first glance, horrid.  But economically it only makes sense.  I was rather surprised no one caught on to the idea before him.

Personally, I cherry pick sea cucumbers, sea urchins, hagfish, pangolins, and secretary birds.  I refuse to devour such intelligent and noble beats.

Signature