Who profits from selling the bible?
Posted: 02 March 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

I guess just about anyone can sell it… A quick search on Amazon for the text “holy bible” yielded 18,521 hits. Weird.

I wonder if any of those folks actually make money selling them? I have this funny image of a combination of the collector mentality and bibles. “Did you get the Archeron special edition bible with the stainless steel covers?”  tongue laugh

Or even the bible buyers guide listing prices for each edition and make. (I’m making a reference to the Overstreet price guide for comic books for those who don’t know about the comic book world.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 16 March 2011 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-03-16

if you wanted someone to follow a religion you wouldnt really sell it to them ha ha funny how people will pay for things that they think will give there life meaning

Signature 

for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction- sir isaac newton

Posted: 16 March 2011 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I wonder if any of those folks actually make money selling them?

If they didn’t, I don’t think anybody would bother printing them.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 16 March 2011 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 16 March 2011 09:48 AM

I wonder if any of those folks actually make money selling them?

If they didn’t, I don’t think anybody would bother printing them.

Well, there you go being all reasonable! smile Yes, that makes sense.

I wonder how folks decide which version to buy? I also wonder how different they are? Not that I plan (or expect anyone else) to put any effort into investigating such questions. tongue laugh

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 16 March 2011 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

HarryC, no need to research. In my case, I just asked someone who read the bible every day. That was about 27 years ago when I was working at IBM. Life was shitting on me and I wanted to react effectively (e.g., no drug dependence). Gave religion a sincere effort. I just couldn’t believe. Still, it was a growth experience that led me to humanism, reason, and peace.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 March 2011 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-07-17

Sorry, I was talking more about the differences between the various versions of the bible published by so many different folks.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I was too. The various versions confused me so I asked a bible-thumper at work which one to buy. You wonder how folks decide which version to buy. That’s how I did it.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 March 2011 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
traveler - 16 March 2011 02:55 PM

I was too. The various versions confused me so I asked a bible-thumper at work which one to buy. You wonder how folks decide which version to buy. That’s how I did it.

Ah… I see now. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2011 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I wonder how folks decide which version to buy?

For a lot of people here where I live, it’s the King James Version or nothing. Don’t waste your time trying to point out any known errors in translation. As far as these types are concerned, there is none.

Since I have an interest in technical Biblical scholarship from the perspective of historical studies, but I am not able to read ancient Hebrew, Aramiac, or Koine Greek, I try to find the most accurate translation that I possibly can. At the moment, that would be the New Revised Standard Version and/or the annotated edition of The New Jerusalem Bible.

If somebody knows of a better translation, I would love to hear of it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 16 March 2011 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Either this Bible or that, they are all 98% the same.  The words have varied since the oral start, the parables have varied, the books have varied, the language has varied, the combination of all that has varied, so with all that variety whether one copy or another, what does it matter?  It doesn’t.  And if people knew that the Bible wouldn’t sell, but they don’t and so it does sell.  Frankenstein’s book it is, why choose the color red over the color green, the choice is as arbitrary as choosing one Bible or another.

To raise your spirit to the heavens, set your soul on fire with Elvis, take a walk on the Wild Side with Lou Reed, taking a trip to a club in North Soho with Ray Davies, that Brimstone And Fire gospel of Cyndi Lauper teaching, ... who wouldn’t rather listen to some modern fiction about the irresistible attraction to the wild side, rather than those nasty old stories of ancient unknowns?

Weeeeeee smile

1980’s Megamix of Cyndi Lauper (She BOPS, He BOPS, We BOPS)

Paris loves Cyndi

[ Edited: 16 March 2011 10:05 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 16 March 2011 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 16 March 2011 09:59 PM

Either this Bible or that, they are all 98R the same.  The words have varied since the oral start, the parables have varied, the books have varied, the language has varied, the combination of all that has varied, so with all that variety whether one copy or another, what does it matter?  It doesn’t.

and yet ..each is inerrant, the inspired WORD of ‘god’.  tongue laugh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 March 2011 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 16 March 2011 10:02 PM
jump_in_the_pit - 16 March 2011 09:59 PM

Either this Bible or that, they are all 98R the same.  The words have varied since the oral start, the parables have varied, the books have varied, the language has varied, the combination of all that has varied, so with all that variety whether one copy or another, what does it matter?  It doesn’t.

and yet ..each is inerrant, the inspired WORD of ‘god’.  tongue laugh

Where’s the like button when you need it? LOL

People keep saying the ‘word’ of gawd. Wouldn’t it be grammatically correct to say the ‘words’ of gawd?

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 23 March 2011 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Other spelling errors:  God is good… no no no that’s too many oh’s, God is god.  The Devil is evil… no no no that’s missing a dee and an ay, the Devil is a devil.  The circular statements are appropriate for Bible.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.