Joined  2011-03-02

I am a Free Mason .....anyone else?

Signature 

The Truth is Out There

Posted: 02 March 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Although he never said it, I believe my father was a bit disappointed that I didn’t follow in his footsteps sixty years ago.  As an atheist even then, I felt I couldn’t in good conscience, apply for membership.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-03-02

Only a belief in “God” is required, and God is a creator or higher power. I do not believe in any of the religions that have caused more pain and death than all other reasons combined. I however do believe there is a higher power, be it from here or elsewhere. The time will come when those who are ready will have the knowledge.

Signature 

The Truth is Out There

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
The Truth is Out There - 03 March 2011 04:12 AM

Only a belief in “God” is required, and God is a creator or higher power. I do not believe in any of the religions that have caused more pain and death than all other reasons combined. I however do believe there is a higher power, be it from here or elsewhere. The time will come when those who are ready will have the knowledge.

Those are the kinds of statements that will make skin crawl here. CFI is committed to basing belief on fact and reason. We can all believe whatever we want. To most of us here, that is not a responsible or sound basis for belief.

I’ll take it a step further. I presume that you’re a good person who is committed to helping others, being kind, etc. The problem that I have with what you’re saying is that it sounds like an excuse to believe whatever you want. You may not ever let that turn ugly but people do, all the time. Encouraging a culture that says it’s OK to believe whatever you want just because that’s what you want to believe facilitates arbitrary thinking and action. Eventually, in fact quite rapidly, you’re going to get people who are going to turn it ugly. Consider, for example, slavery in the United States, supposedly a country founded on a principle of freedom and universal inalienable rights. The only way that can happen is that people think they can believe whatever they want.

That’s why I have major problems with the intellectual content of your post. You’re new here and I don’t mean to attack you but at its core, the belief system you promote is irresponsible.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I did not realize Masonry required a belief in a ‘god’. I wonder how they would feel, if that ‘god’ were the FSM or a ‘teapot circling Mars’?  Requiring only a belief in a ‘god’ besides openly accepting unprovable nonsense, leaves you open to the truly crazy. confused

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-02

So just like the extreme Muslims, if someone does not follow “your” believes they are less human and should be eliminated? I say You don’t know, nobody knows for sure. The only sure thing is those people like yourself who “Think” they know and everyone else is wrong are closed minded fools.

Signature 

The Truth is Out There

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Nope, that is not what I said. What I said is that and organization willing to accept the the vagaries of any notion of an invisible superman, leaves it open to all sorts of crazy.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4379
Joined  2007-08-31
PLaClair - 03 March 2011 04:42 AM

Encouraging a culture that says it’s OK to believe whatever you want just because that’s what you want to believe facilitates arbitrary thinking and action. Eventually, in fact quite rapidly, you’re going to get people who are going to turn it ugly. Consider, for example, slavery in the United States, supposedly a country founded on a principle of freedom and universal inalienable rights.

Agree very much with this. Everybody can run away with some metaphysical beliefs and make anything from it.

TTiOT, why should we make a detour via some kind of god or higher power, or whatever you want? Why is it not enough to believe that the world is a better place when we subscribe to some simple to a few principles, like freedom and universal inalienable rights. Using the idea of a higher power for this is childish, is a way to manipulate people to a certain behaviour, and once when the ‘mechanism of manipulation’ is build up, people will misuse it.

Maybe the truth in this respect is not out there, but only in us. Or how should I understand your nickname?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-02

You must be hung up on the word God, I don’t believe in a invisible superman or a guy with a long white beard. God means different things to different people, I use the word as it is the most common English word to describe a higher power/intelligence/creator etc..  As I said before I do not believe in the bible. Koran etc etc. however if people choose to follow those ideas it is there right to do so. The biggest problem is with people who Force there believes on others and if they do not agree there next action is to attack them. Which is the same thing all extremist religions like to do, be it christian, Muslim, etc.
I question everything and follow only what I choose to follow, not what someone wants to force me to follow.

Signature 

The Truth is Out There

Posted: 03 March 2011 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
The Truth is Out There - 03 March 2011 05:55 AM

God means different things to different people, I use the word as it is the most common English word to describe a higher power/intelligence/creator etc..

Yes, it means different things depending on when and where you live. Zeus had muscles and was a male because in those times physical strength was valued very highly. Today it’s the god of higher power and intelligence. In other words, the immortal version of Bill Gates.  grin Tell me what is the fashion of the day, I’ll tell you what your god looks like.

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
The Truth is Out There - 03 March 2011 05:55 AM

You must be hung up on the word God, I don’t believe in a invisible superman or a guy with a long white beard. God means different things to different people, I use the word as it is the most common English word to describe a higher power/intelligence/creator etc..  As I said before I do not believe in the bible. Koran etc etc. however if people choose to follow those ideas it is there right to do so. The biggest problem is with people who Force there believes on others and if they do not agree there next action is to attack them. Which is the same thing all extremist religions like to do, be it christian, Muslim, etc.
I question everything and follow only what I choose to follow, not what someone wants to force me to follow.

I’m glad you are willing to question what people try to force upon you. However, I’ve never thought of such a quality as valuable as the willingness to question/challenge yourself, and your current beliefs. Have you scrutinized your own “choice to follow” the particular path you’ve chosen to follow? What were your findings? How sure are you of what you believe?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
George - 03 March 2011 07:32 AM

Today it’s the god of higher power and intelligence. In other words, the immortal version of Bill Gates.  Steven Jobs!  grin
Tell me what is the fashion of the day, I’ll tell you what your god looks like.

grin

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10
The Truth is Out There - 02 March 2011 04:19 PM

No.  Stoic.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 March 2011 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
asanta - 03 March 2011 04:55 AM

I did not realize Masonry required a belief in a ‘god’. I wonder how they would feel, if that ‘god’ were the FSM or a ‘teapot circling Mars’?  Requiring only a belief in a ‘god’ besides openly accepting unprovable nonsense, leaves you open to the truly crazy. confused

So does the VFW, and the Boy Scouts used to require a belief in a god, but I was just told that they no longer do, that they now even have a badge for “Humanism”

BTW, I am not sure this is still the case, but a friend of mine was interested in joining the Masons about thirty years ago, but he was a RC and the Church had a rule against it.  Don’t know if it is still the case.  I do know that many of my black friends and co-workers belonged to the organization.

[ Edited: 03 March 2011 09:32 AM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 March 2011 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

I used to be interested in Freemasonry, to the point i got a copy of Morals and Dogma to read through it due to the controversy on it.

Known several good Masons, but never joined myself, partially due to me being an atheist.

Posted: 03 March 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
The Truth is Out There - 02 March 2011 04:19 PM

I had a great uncle who was both a mason and a Mason.  My grandmother thought that was a great hoot and was bragging about it to everyone- mason by trade and Mason by religion (or whatever it’s called).

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

1 of 5