4 of 5
Any Free Masons Here?
Posted: 04 March 2011 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2011-02-05
The Truth is Out There - 03 March 2011 12:09 PM

I started this thread just to see if any Free Masons were here, If you are not a Free Mason why even respond? The only reason to respond in looking at the majority of posts were to attack what I said as well as do the typical “Gang up” on the person who does not agree with you 100%. For those of you that did respond with non attacking comments I thank you for your input . And if the people who claim that they have all the answers and know all the “facts” of the universe… Congratulations! You need to be on CNN and explain everything to the world.

Quit yer bellyachin’.

One of the foundational qualities of this forum is as a venue for discussion. If your post sparks discussion that happens to be tangential to your initial purpose, then either gently redirect or don’t bother participating in internet forums, because the same thing happens everywhere.

No one is ganging up on you. As a matter of fact, questing for fellow freemasons on a forum of agnostics, atheists, and humanists is portent to trolling.

Finally, no one here claims to have all the answers. You’re getting us mixed up with conservative Baptists.

Signature 

“Ah! How cheerfully we consign ourselves to Perdition!”
-Melville-

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”
-Pynchon-

Posted: 04 March 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
ciceronianus - 04 March 2011 08:45 AM

Is this necessarily an atheist forum?  I confess I didn’t know.  I thought those who suspect there might be a kind of deity would be tolerated, provided they kept a low profile.

We have some theists and agnostics here. It is a forum for inquiry. Which is why I don’t understand his objection to questions!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 March 2011 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

I’ve talked with Freemasons fairly often, like I mentioned earlier. The Grand Architect is fairly vague, and it’s meant to be that way. I’ve even known a few Buddhists and Wiccans who were members.
And most of them were really well mannered and polite people, very pleasant to have a discussion about religion with.

Posted: 04 March 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

It probably depends on the lodge. I don’t think the lodge my grandfather and other relatives belonged to would accept a wiccan..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 March 2011 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26
asanta - 04 March 2011 03:04 PM

It probably depends on the lodge. I don’t think the lodge my grandfather and other relatives belonged to would accept a wiccan..

That’s probably just because Wiccans don’t fully appreciate the subtle majesty of the Fuzzy Wonder Goat, Champion of His Species.

demoulin_the_fuzzy_wonder_goat.jpg

Check, check it.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 04 March 2011 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  346
Joined  2008-09-10
asanta - 04 March 2011 01:40 PM
ciceronianus - 04 March 2011 08:45 AM

Is this necessarily an atheist forum?  I confess I didn’t know.  I thought those who suspect there might be a kind of deity would be tolerated, provided they kept a low profile.

We have some theists and agnostics here. It is a forum for inquiry. Which is why I don’t understand his objection to questions!

The Free Masons are apparently rather touchy.  They made for a good Monty Python skit, though.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 March 2011 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02
Dead Monky - 04 March 2011 03:25 PM
asanta - 04 March 2011 03:04 PM

That’s probably just because Wiccans don’t fully appreciate the subtle majesty of the Fuzzy Wonder Goat, Champion of His Species.

demoulin_the_fuzzy_wonder_goat.jpg

Check, check it.

I lived in Greenville IL for a few years as a kid.  Don’t remember seeing any of that or at least not that company that is.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 March 2011 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-12-25

I find it ironic that you call yourself a free mason when your name is “The Truth is Out There” ?

did you get it ? anyone ?

Posted: 05 March 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Geez, I hate to admit it, but I still don’t get it.  What’s the connection?  Could you explain it, Phi-?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 March 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-12-25
Occam. - 05 March 2011 02:14 PM

Geez, I hate to admit it, but I still don’t get it.  What’s the connection?  Could you explain it, Phi-?

Occam

well , you know the conspiracy theorists and their movies who frequently use this slogan “The Truth is out there” ,the irony is these people make movies and documentaries about the free masons and their hidden agendas and this guy is using one of their famous words .

as if he knows the truth or part of it ,yet he calls himself The Truth is Out There

got it wink

Posted: 06 March 2011 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Thanks.  That’s what comes of being an old fud who doesn’t pay attention to conspiracy theories or go to movies about them.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 March 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-10

Ah… I thought it was because Freemasons are a secret society and so…

^^;

Posted: 07 March 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I love conspiracy theories!  (I know, you’re all shocked.)  Some of them are freaking hilarious.  A personal favorite is that fluoridating water is a form of government mind control. LOL Also, chemtrails.  Just thinking about some of the websites I’ve surfed through makes me giggle.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 07 March 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-10
Dead Monky - 07 March 2011 02:37 PM

I love conspiracy theories!  (I know, you’re all shocked.)  Some of them are freaking hilarious.  A personal favorite is that fluoridating water is a form of government mind control. LOL Also, chemtrails.  Just thinking about some of the websites I’ve surfed through makes me giggle.

I’m currently considering on jumping into a fluoride debate on a chat forum I’m a member of. I’m trying to find the original paper that was published.

I’m always hesitant to get into these as I don’t have a lot of backgroudn with this, just pulling up and reading it.

Posted: 28 November 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2008-11-10
Mriana - 03 March 2011 10:42 AM
The Truth is Out There - 03 March 2011 05:55 AM

You must be hung up on the word God, I don’t believe in a invisible superman or a guy with a long white beard. God means different things to different people, I use the word as it is the most common English word to describe a higher power/intelligence/creator etc..  As I said before I do not believe in the bible. Koran etc etc. however if people choose to follow those ideas it is there right to do so. The biggest problem is with people who Force there believes on others and if they do not agree there next action is to attack them. Which is the same thing all extremist religions like to do, be it christian, Muslim, etc.
I question everything and follow only what I choose to follow, not what someone wants to force me to follow.

Glad you question things, but that still was not what asanta was talking about.  Even so, I realize, you, as a Free Mason, do not worship any man in the sky.  It is hardly a man, but a bunch of symbolism.  Masonry is all symbolic and is probably one of the guiding forces behind keeping the masses under a delusion, not allowing them to know the truth about religion.

The symbolism of freemasonry is quite simplistic, unlike Rosicrucian symbolism.  Take the freemason emblem of the compass and square with God in the middle for example.  This symbol means learning how to debate so as to be able to challenge immorality in the world.  It is a reference to the principle of non-contradiction.  With this emblem, you have the compass (representing the circle) and the carpenter’s square (representing the square), separated by God.  God prevents making the “square circle,” prevents contradiction.  Philosophy has always been interpreted in terms of religion, but this didn’t fundamentally mean faith in God.  It just meant the philosopher submitted himself to the rules of thought the same way a religious person submitted to the rules of God.  For Hegel and Schelling for instance, the principle of non-contradiction, like the principle of reason, represented God, the root word of which is “theos” or “ground of things” or principle.  The principle is like an innate idea, which for philosophers of those times indicated God.  The principle of non contradiction is an absolute rule of thought.  It also allows us to debate.  If we are debating, and you say something that disagrees with something you said earlier or something else I know, I can call you on a contradiction (contradiction in the Latin sense of the word: you are speaking against something else that is true.)

4 of 5