Suggestions Forum
Posted: 03 March 2011 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2011-01-11

I would like to spearhead a suggestions forum here on CFI.

This can be a place for any ideas you might have to improve the website.

As per the forum rules, please do not post links to any advertising material as it may be treated as spam.

Signature 

I’m atheist, not agnostic. To say that god is unknowable is to say that god is.

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2011-01-11

What a great idea for a forum!

May I suggest an iGoogle widget that can give a feed of the latest topic threads?

Signature 

I’m atheist, not agnostic. To say that god is unknowable is to say that god is.

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

As resident nitpicker (sorry smile ), since a suggestion is in response to something one sees as a lack in the forum, you could call it feedback.  As such, a suggestion forum would sort of duplicate this one. 

One of the problems is that CFI, as a non-profit organization, receives this program at no cost.  This means the owners of the program don’t have much motivation toward customizing it for us.

Our rules state that advertising. i.e. spam, is not allowed, and we do have a spam blocker, but it doesn’t work too well, however, the Administrator and the Moderators delete the dozen or two spam posts each day so fast that most members never even realize they were here.

I’m unfamliar with iGoogle widgets, but I do know that most of the spammers show up because of publicity of some of our threads.  I’d be afraid that this might encourage more of them.  Could you explain what an iGoogle widget is?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

The problem is that any customization would have to be done by our technical team, and they basically don’t have time to deal with customizing the Forum. Also, customization is borderline impossible for the Forum because the software is part of a larger package that basically comes pre-written.

Frankly, I’m just hoping that they get it updated properly ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos