1 of 9
Hell as a Threat
Posted: 05 March 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-03-05

I’m a 20something college student, and everywhere i look, I seem to be drowning in Jesus.

I think I’ve found the most offensive thing someone has said to me—mocking that I’d be tortured in hell for eternity. I really can’t tolerate anything like this ever again, I’ve had people talk at me before about their religious views, but putting a threat against me of eternal torture is the most ballsy and offensive thing I’ve heard.

Gods are proxy for most believers, they can shift blame to them for life happenings like a child blaming the cat for knocking over the flowerpot. Just like an agitated parent, I’m not going to accept this proxy anymore. I’ve decided to take this no less than a personal threat, as if someone we’re mugging me or threatening me with a knife. I don’t believe in your gods, that means that when your outspoken beliefs threaten my personal safety and comfort, I’m pointing at you for the blame.

Just because you believe in gods doesn’t give you a free pass to be an ass.

I’m going to start choking up on the bat too. People who use their religion as an excuse for something that affects other people (You know, like people I’ve found on this forum)—I’m going to treat them like I’d treat any other religious extremist—Like a Psychopath with a bomb.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Posted: 05 March 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2010-08-01
Scndthe2nd - 05 March 2011 11:21 AM

I’m a 20something college student, and everywhere i look, I seem to be drowning in Jesus.

I think I’ve found the most offensive thing someone has said to me—mocking that I’d be tortured in hell for eternity. I really can’t tolerate anything like this ever again, I’ve had people talk at me before about their religious views, but putting a threat against me of eternal torture is the most ballsy and offensive thing I’ve heard.

Gods are proxy for most believers, they can shift blame to them for life happenings like a child blaming the cat for knocking over the flowerpot. Just like an agitated parent, I’m not going to accept this proxy anymore. I’ve decided to take this no less than a personal threat, as if someone we’re mugging me or threatening me with a knife. I don’t believe in your gods, that means that when your outspoken beliefs threaten my personal safety and comfort, I’m pointing at you for the blame.

Just because you believe in gods doesn’t give you a free pass to be an ass.

I’m going to start choking up on the bat too. People who use their religion as an excuse for something that affects other people (You know, like people I’ve found on this forum)—I’m going to treat them like I’d treat any other religious extremist—Like a Psychopath with a bomb.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Whynot: A better question is…who hasn’t? The smugness of some of these arseholes is more than a timid soul like myself can stomach. And the really sad and dis-arming thing about it is they sincerely believe they’re trying to help you. Like, if I bury my head in your fantasy, how will that improve my grades or secure me that promotion I so very desperately need?

Posted: 05 March 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Yes, I think many of us have been exposed to that.  The first time was when I was about fifteen when I was at a friend’s place and two young Mormon missionaries came by and started talking to the kids.  I didn’t bother getting involved until they began to threaten the younger cnildren with hell’s damnation if they didn’t accept religion.  That annoyed me so I responded with all sorts of obnoxious biblical quotes (I had just finished reading my father’s copy of “The Bible Unmasked” and I’ve always had a great memory), and demanding that they open their bibles to see if I was lying or telling the truth.  Then I asked how they felt knowing deep, deep down, that there was no after liife and that their bodies would just be stuck in a tight little casket underground where they couldn’t move and while worms and bacteria slowly ate and digested them.  I was a sarcastic SOB when I was a teen-ager, but they deserved it for preying on the children.  And that’s how you deal with religious assholes who attack. snake

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 March 2011 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

This idea of hell was one of the things I was referring to when it comes to “reasons” in the other thread.  The idea of hell has caused a lot of fear in many of the religious.  All too often those who impose their beliefs on others is due to fear.  They are extremely fearful.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 March 2011 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-03-05

What I don’t understand is why people think that this is a point of advertisement for their religion.
“I believe that if you do bad things, you die and go to hell”
—“Well thats why I don’t believe what you believe”
“Well, bad things include not believing what I believe”
—“Well I don’t believe that”

[ Edited: 06 March 2011 11:00 AM by Scndthe2nd ]

Posted: 06 March 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

LOL

Nice.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 06 March 2011 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

I think we’ve all been through that. Hell when I was your age I was one of these obnoxious fundies. We called ourselves Jesus Freaks back then. Wore our ignorance like a badge of honor. The problem I had was curiosity, so I enrolled in a Bible College and lasted less than one semester. Fundies don’t like people who think. Makes sense when you read the Bible. What was the original sin? Eating from the Tree of Knowledge.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 07 March 2011 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 05 March 2011 03:03 PM

I was a sarcastic SOB when I was a teen-ager, but they deserved it for preying on the children.  And that’s how you deal with religious assholes who attack. snake

Gaud Bless them wise ass teenagers, especially the ones with brains and a good memory, they keep the world turning.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Oh I just remembered a pal back in Silverton days who nailed a timber spike through a bible on his living room wall.  He did it as an art statement, but one day a couple Jehovah’s Witnesses came up to the door.  The way he loved telling the story as soon as they finished with their introduction he opened the door all the way and stepped back with a sweeping jester as if to invited them in. They spotted the Bible, turned white and backed away from that door and retreated with terror in their eyes, never to show up again.

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 09:58 AM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

I would imagine that molesting children would get you a one way pass to hell, no?

Or is devoting yourself to god and being a priest count towards your “time served”

Seems like a pretty sweet career move - you are pretty much immune from all legal charges (abuse, tax evasion, fraud) You get to travel all over the world (based on how quickly the people in your community find out about your sick perverted addiction) Massive tax write offs, and rebates for being a Sheppard of a gullible flock. Getting to stand up in front of a crowd every Sunday and hear yourself talk, and having them all cheer over mutual agreement of complete bullshit. It’s almost like you are a rock-star - If I was a priest, I would end my sermon with a stage dive and crowd surf my way to the exit doors where I would proceed to high-five everyone on their way out.

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Missmac, you have to remember that they can absolve themselves of all sin by confessing to each other. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
Occam. - 12 March 2011 07:19 PM

Missmac, you have to remember that they can absolve themselves of all sin by confessing to each other. 

Occam

And all sins are equal in the eyes of God. So a nun-rapist, murderer will get the same punishment as the person who is lazy and eats too much.

Posted: 12 March 2011 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-10

Ah-hah.

Good to know - is this only a perk if you belong to a church? Can I go do a few B&E’s to supplement my income, then just go confess before I kick the bucket?

Signature 

– David Viaene

Posted: 12 March 2011 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
missmac - 12 March 2011 08:11 PM

Ah-hah.

Good to know - is this only a perk if you belong to a church? Can I go do a few B&E’s to supplement my income, then just go confess before I kick the bucket?

Essentially, according the bible, you can do anything you want…including replication of Stalin’s deeds, as long as you acknowledge Jebus and confess your sins on your death bed. Then it is off to heaven for you, to grovel at the feet of god for eternity.
However, if you are a wonderful person living in the Amazon jungle, caring lovingly for your family and friends unselflessly unaware of THE ONE TRUE GOD, you will go directly to hell, do not pass go…etc. That was another reason which reinforced my nonbelief after I read the bible. To think, the nun used that argument to try to scare me into converting to catholicism. It made NO sense to me then..or now, 40 years later!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 March 2011 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

Just imagine someone getting dragged off to be tortured to death and these idiots laughing at the victim as they’re clawing at the ground. How stupid (or systematically indoctrinated) do you have to be to not see something wrong with that?

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-10

Hmmm, scare tactics…...... usually a power move to gain control over people.

Also the F.O.M.O (fear of missing out) phenomenon in which an individual feels pressure to “get on-board” when they are told many others are doing the same, and that they might face rejection or ridicule or some negative result if they aren’t walking the same way as everyone else. Door to door energy salesmen use this tactic to close deals: When a person starts to hesitate and question their need to sign up with the company - they will mention something about all the neighbors having already signed up for energy rate protection. Even though they may have not even contacted anyone else on the block yet, they will lie, and try to create a need for a product/service that has little to no benefit to the consumer.

Fear and intimidation can be very effective sometimes.

Signature 

– David Viaene

Posted: 15 March 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

My brother-in-law and sister are very decent people, as honest as they come. I mention him first because my sister says she never believed in hell, which never made sense to her as a child even though we were raised Roman Catholic and got a steady dose of it that she doesn’t seem to remember. Bob is more conventional. When religion came up for discussion, as it does regularly, I expressed my view that hell probably is the single most damaging idea in humankind’s intellectual history. Bob looked stunned, truly didn’t understand why I would say that. I explained that there would be no point in torturing someone forever (what purpose would it serve?) and that no one but a psychopath would do that for no purpose, but all I got back was a blank stare.

I recall believing this nonsense as a child and being genuinely afraid of the threat. Not until I was in my forties did I stop having nightmares. That was when I realized that the story couldn’t be true. I had been a non-theist since the age of twenty-one and had stopped believing in hell at that time but it took me twenty more years to appreciate how thoroughly perverse the idea was and that it couldn’t be true.

What amazes me now is that our society still not only condones this myth but encourages it. The fact that people can believe something so damaging as this, which is obviously not true to boot, is one of the many reasons why I have become pessimistic about humanity ever tackling major environmental issues, including population control. We are far too adept at believing any nonsense at all, apparently with no limits on how ridiculous or how destructive it can be. If anyone ever figures out a way to get this through to the general public, that person will be one of history’s greatest heroes.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

1 of 9