9 of 9
Hell as a Threat
Posted: 27 April 2011 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 27 April 2011 12:05 AM

My problem with religions in general is that they tend to focus on the nebulous as opposed to what is verifiably real. That and a nuerotic obsession with preparing for the afterlife which can’t be proven and for which there is no credible evidence at the expense of dealing with the present life which we know we have.

Yep, although as religions go, Buddhism is one of the least effected by that problem; and in general religions of reincarnation are less effected than those that believe in an everlasting heaven or hell.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 April 2011 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2011-04-24
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 27 April 2011 12:00 AM

Good point ; admit I never read Heinlein before so I had to look up what grok means

Heinlein is an interesting guy to read. His books were his soapbox and a lot of times, it was really hard to pin down some of his personal beliefs beyond his being agnostic. In the end, I don’t think he cared so much whether or not you accepted what appeared to be his positions on certain issues or those of his characters so much as it mattered to him that one would think, and I do mean think for yourself.

Frank Herbert was much the same way with his Dune series but his writing style wasn’t anywhere near as down-to-earth as Heinlein’s was.

Frank Herbert is also a guy I never read before,the only sci-fi reading Ive gotten deep into are the short stories of Greg Bear,and Arthur C. Clark.Ive also read some free online short stories by Greg Egan,Poul Andersen,David Brin,and some other names I cant remember,but not enough to make any big judgements about them.I know Heinlein wrote alot and influenced many who came after him.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 27 April 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 27 April 2011 04:09 AM
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 27 April 2011 12:05 AM

My problem with religions in general is that they tend to focus on the nebulous as opposed to what is verifiably real. That and a nuerotic obsession with preparing for the afterlife which can’t be proven and for which there is no credible evidence at the expense of dealing with the present life which we know we have.

Yep, although as religions go, Buddhism is one of the least effected by that problem; and in general religions of reincarnation are less effected than those that believe in an everlasting heaven or hell.

Buddhism is interesting,but arent there big differences among buddhist populations in different countries with what they actually believe;some believing in demons and sorcery and some believing in just shutting out the entire world?

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2011 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 27 April 2011 07:11 AM

Buddhism is interesting,but arent there big differences among buddhist populations in different countries with what they actually believe;some believing in demons and sorcery and some believing in just shutting out the entire world?

Yep, although I don’t know of any that want to shut out the world. Usually the point of Buddhist practice is to simply be in the world.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 April 2011 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I suppose there is. Buddhism, notably the Zen variation, has no creed and no barrier to a belief in any of these things. Nothing is set in stone, just a figment of your “unreal” imagination.

However, I don’t see them as shutting out the world. They appear to be more interested in understanding the world. “You must become the world” or words to that effect.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 27 April 2011 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 27 April 2011 11:35 AM

I suppose there is. Buddhism, notably the Zen variation, has no creed and no barrier to a belief in any of these things. Nothing is set in stone, just a figment of your “unreal” imagination.

However, I don’t see them as shutting out the world. They appear to be more interested in understanding the world. “You must become the world” or words to that effect.

Hopefully true,the Abrahamic religions usually seem to want to impose their view on the world,and if that dont work for them they want to blow the world away.(Or they want god to blow it away for them!)

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Hopefully true,the Abrahamic religions usually seem to want to impose their view on the world,and if that dont work for them they want to blow the world away.(Or they want god to blow it away for them!)

I wouldn’t go so far as to say they want God to blow the world away. Historically, the Abrahamic cults go about it two ways.

1) by way of persuasion and co-opting the legal system in an attempt to pass laws in their favour when they don’t have power or,

2) rack and thumbscrew when they actually have that sort of power.

It’s not a very pretty picture and since even members of these cults can end up on the dirty end of the stick if they are part of the wrong sub-cult, it’s a compelling reason why even the firmest of believers should stand opposed to a theocracy.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 28 April 2011 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 28 April 2011 12:20 AM

I wouldn’t go so far as to say they want God to blow the world away. Historically, the Abrahamic cults go about it two ways.

1) by way of persuasion and co-opting the legal system in an attempt to pass laws in their favour when they don’t have power or,

2) rack and thumbscrew when they actually have that sort of power.

It’s not a very pretty picture and since even members of these cults can end up on the dirty end of the stick if they are part of the wrong sub-cult, it’s a compelling reason why even the firmest of believers should stand opposed to a theocracy.

I always expect the worst,then Im glad if it doesnt happen smirk

Signature 

9 of 9