4 of 4
Should the adjective “Secular” be removed from “Humanism”?
Posted: 19 August 2011 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Reading through this thread reminds me of the squabbles of Christian denominationalism.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 19 August 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I closed up my website a year ago and decided to get back in my writing of commentaries.  I will let you when my webmaster gets home from Alaska….No, she is not visiting Palin.  I moved out of Arizona and away from the religious right mean people and ended up back in California where I was born and raised.  A new friendly environment was all I needed to get back into science versus the Inquisition.

Thank you, I missed all of you.

Posted: 15 October 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-10-15
dougsmith - 06 March 2011 07:06 AM

The reason the word “secular” is there is to distinguish our sort of humanism from religious humanism. Humanism’s beginnings in the Renaissance were a step away from the earlier Biblical tradition towards a more secular alternative focusing on the person and lived life rather than God, heaven and hell, but it was still religious.

The adjective “secular” in “secular humanism” refers to the position of secularism.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2011 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Sandy Price - 19 August 2011 10:40 AM

I closed up my website a year ago and decided to get back in my writing of commentaries.  I will let you when my webmaster gets home from Alaska….No, she is not visiting Palin.  I moved out of Arizona and away from the religious right mean people and ended up back in California where I was born and raised.  A new friendly environment was all I needed to get back into science versus the Inquisition.

Thank you, I missed all of you.

If you think AZ is bad, you should try S.W. MO, HQ of the A of G.  I love the nature and all around, but I cannot stand the Religious Reich in this area, much less Silly Shortmind (Billy Long) who sometimes replies to emails concerning various bills, with his religious views, and Blunthead, who isn’t much better.  I never voted for them and I can’t wait to vote them out of office.  How they got elected is beyond me, but then again, looking at the Religious Reich, including the Ozarks very own Tea Party, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 November 2011 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-11-01

Humanisism is sort of an element to some religions. For instance, the more humanist traits the puritans took on. Or even a church can very well have claims on humanism through it’s work. I think “secular” gives the humanism a bit of the pride as christians have in god.

Posted: 02 November 2011 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-11-01

Hello,
I’m new on this site, and this is my first post.  The puritans were indeed religious extremists, and couldn’t wait to come to a new land
to burn each other as witches, and rob and persecute the indians in the name of God. It was good for England to get rid of them, but
very bad for us.Their mentality persists in our society in other forms, still witout humanity or humanism. Read Elmer Gantry! They’re everywhere!
Throughout history,the correlation between religious beliefs and humanism and tolerance is very low.So, make superstions and religion a totally
private affair, and have a thoroughly secular society based on humanistic values. No, I don’t believe “Secular” should be removed fron “Humanism”.

Posted: 02 November 2011 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  5189
Joined  2010-06-16

Bugsie, I noticed that your second post was just an edit of the first.  The way to do that is to click on the “edit” box at the bottom of the post.  Then you can scroll down to the edit block and make the changes you want without having to redo the whole post.  I’ll delete the first one since you covered it and a bit more in your second.  And, welcome to the forum.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 November 2011 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-11-01
bugsie - 02 November 2011 02:47 AM

Hello,
I’m new on this site, and this is my first post.  The puritans were indeed religious extremists, and couldn’t wait to come to a new land
to burn each other as witches, and rob and persecute the indians in the name of God. It was good for England to get rid of them, but
very bad for us.Their mentality persists in our society in other forms, still witout humanity or humanism. Read Elmer Gantry! They’re everywhere!
Throughout history,the correlation between religious beliefs and humanism and tolerance is very low.So, make superstions and religion a totally
private affair, and have a thoroughly secular society based on humanistic values. No, I don’t believe “Secular” should be removed fron “Humanism”.

Sorry, in my head i was thinking of english puritans. Those puritans regulated government, overthrowing the monarchy for a short time. Instead of believing a king was human representation of god on earth and held extreme power, sort to say, right under the pope…rather they believed they could channel god themselves. Though it is greatly political here it did turn for the worst as they turned to the world around them and took up judging for themselves. I do believe religion is essentially a very selfish quality to hold. Who would not want a one on one chat with someone who can create miracles if you pray enough? people need to believe good exists somewhere if they cannot see it around them, ironically in religion itself. that is why people refer to religion as being personal to them. And ultimatley they fear death. To think of life as some sort of trial for your soul to graduate is ridiculous in all. there are very many diffeent ways of seeing things in different people so secular is indeed a way of seperating an overall general topic to a certain idea within the webbing of it. though technology has developed, peoples minds don’t want to be pushed to far to the stress of thinking past daily sorts of things. but those are those people and everyone will always disagree with someone else genuinely. there is not a right answer here. this is just where we say we are better for being tolerant smile

4 of 4