1 of 5
6 Diet Fads For People Who Will Try Anything Except Exercise
Posted: 08 March 2011 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

The weight loss industry amuses me to no end.  The idiotic crap will people will buy and abuse themselves with just so they don’t have to exercise or give up eating bacon filled eclairs is greatly amusing in its pathetic sadness.  And some of the ones on this list are retarded beyond measure.  Ear stapling, magic lumpy toe rings, flavor sprays, and oh yeah, hCG from preggo pee.  LOL

Ah the laziness of man.  You’ve yet to let me down.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 08 March 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3796
Joined  2010-08-15

Yea, my dad had this joke about the most successful weight loss clinic in town having their office on the ninth floor of a building with a permanently out of order elevator. I forget how it goes but you get the drift.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 10 March 2011 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-03-07

Dead Monky, I take it you’re a Cracked.com fan?
http://www.cracked.com/article_19069_6-diet-fads-people-who-will-try-anything-except-exercise.html

Posted: 11 March 2011 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Yup I am.  Along with a number of other crappy websites and shoddy publications.

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2011 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17

Long after the fact, I just wanted to say that while I share your incredulity at the gullibility of the fat masses, some of your commentary is fatphobic. I have many fat positive friends, (including myself) who eat well, exercise and are fat, without “bacon filled eclairs”. More and more fat people are learning to accept themselves and be as healthy as they can fat or not, and those that still fall for such shams do so because of the manufactured hysteria and shaming that happens. Obesity research continues to uncover many related causes, so the stereotyping is unnecessary and unfounded. Unless your a doctor who has studied all fat people. Are you?

Further. all those items, as well as every other diet fad, are just as bought into by unhealthy normal weight/skinny people who are just as, if not more, obsessed with their weight. Lots of them don’t eat right or exercise, they’re just not fat so no cares.

I didn’t answer this before, because I was very ill last month.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 18 April 2011 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Clearly it was fat people I was mocking and not the way people will do any ridiculous thing or try any goofy fad to avoid the life changing hard work and discipline it takes to actually lose weight and be healthy.  You can blame the fads and scams on the weight loss industry, society, or skinny people all you want, but it’s general human laziness and shortcut seeking that allows such things to thrive.

And I’m sorry if I hit close to home, but I don’t bear fat people any ill will.  Well, no more than I bear toward any other group of people anyway.  wink  I make fun of everybody.  And I should, seeing as how I find everybody pretty much equally corrupt, hypocritical, and contemptible. LOL

By the way, where did I ever actually mention fat people?  hmmm  grin

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2011 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-01-17

I have been around long enough to read between the lines. Often the most pointed sentiments are the least blatant. You cannot bamboozle me into thinking you didn’t mean fat people when you wrote bacon filled eclairs.

For instance, you’re stereotyping here, that people are fat because they lack the self discipline and work ethic to lose weight, the flip side of which is that fat people are lazy and possibly stupid. Do you not even see that you are saying that? I doubt that you don’t. I’m fat, and I trained as a baker and got a degree while being a low income single mom to a very disabled child, so I know I am not lazy, and I have self discipline by the truckload.

And you didn’t hit close to home. I spent the weekend chasing my 12 year old around on her bike. Feel free to add some weights to come up to my weight and join me, I’m sure I’ll give you a run for your money.  Nor am I blaming anyone, I just am this, and it is fine. It’s just another way of being. Blaming skinny people? I pointed out that they are as susceptible to this hysterical weight obsession as well.

I can’t abide stereotyping, nor bullying behaviour, no matter how the person is justifying it.

I think you often have interesting things to say. I think sometimes you think you have to shock or become hyperbolic. I don’t really care, unless what you’re saying comes across as bigotted.

C _______________________________________________
Don’t You Realize Fat Is Unhealthy?

Here’s the thing: I blog about fat acceptance.

Fat acceptance, as you can probably guess from the words “fat” and “acceptance” being right together like that, does not go over so well in some circles. Even in some progressive circles — which are usually known for not hating entire groups of people because of their appearances, not thinking what other people do with their bodies is anybody’s beeswax, and not uncritically accepting whatever moral panic the media tries to whip up, but wev. Fat is different! Don’t you know there’s an obesity epidemic? Don’t you know that fat kills? Haven’t you ever heard of Type 2 diabetes? Don’t you realize how much money this is going to cost society down the line? Won’t someone please think of the children?

So, before I start getting comments like that, I want to lay out ten principles that underlie pretty much everything I write about fat and health.

1. Weight itself is not a health problem, except in the most extreme cases (i.e., being underweight or so fat you’re immobilized). In fact, fat people live longer than thin people and are more likely to survive cardiac events, and some studies have shown that fat can protect against “infections, cancer, lung disease, heart disease, osteoporosis, anemia, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis and type 2 diabetes.” Yeah, you read that right: even the goddamned diabetes. Now, I’m not saying we should all go out and get fat for our health (which we wouldn’t be able to do anyway, because no one knows how to make a naturally thin person fat any more than they know how to make a naturally fat person thin; see point 4), but I’m definitely saying obesity research is turning up surprising information all the time — much of which goes ignored by the media — and people who give a damn about critical thinking would be foolish to accept the party line on fat. Just because you’ve heard over and over and over that fat! kills! doesn’t mean it’s true. It just means that people in this culture really love saying it.

2. Poor nutrition and a sedentary lifestyle do cause health problems, in people of all sizes. This is why it’s so fucking crucial to separate the concept of “obesity” from “eating crap and not exercising.” The two are simply not synonymous — not even close — and it’s not only incredibly offensive but dangerous for thin people to keep pretending that they are. There are thin people who eat crap and don’t exercise — and are thus putting their health at risk — and there are fat people who treat their bodies very well but remain fat. Really truly.

3. What’s more, those groups do not represent anomalies; no one has proven that fat people generally eat more or exercise less than thin people. Period. And believe me, they’ve tried. (Gina Kolata’s new book, Rethinking Thin, is an outstanding source for more on that point.)

4. Diets don’t work. No, really, not even if you don’t call them diets. If you want to tell me about how YOUR diet totally worked, do me a favor and wait until you’ve kept all the weight off for five years. Not one year, not four years, five years. And if you’ve kept it off for that long, congratulations. You’re literally a freak of nature.

5. Given that diets don’t work in the long-term for the vast, vast majority of people, even if obesity in and of itself were a health crisis, how the fuck would you propose we solve it?

6. Most fat people have already dieted repeatedly. And sadly, it’s likely that the dieting will cause them more health problems than the fat.

7. Human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Fat people are human beings.

8. Even fat people who are unhealthy still deserve dignity and respect. Still human beings. See how that works?

9. In any case, shaming teh fatties for being “unhealthy” doesn’t fucking help. If shame made people thin, there wouldn’t be a fat person in this country, trust me. I wish I could remember who said this, ’cause it’s one of my favorite quotes of all time: “You cannot hate people for their own good.”

10. If you scratch an article on the obesity! crisis! you will almost always find a press release from a company that’s developing a weight loss drug — or from a “research group” that’s funded by such companies.

So let’s just be clear that if you want to tell me fat people are disgusting and unhealthy in comments, all I’m gonna do is point you back to this post. And/or point you to other posts from my blog or from one of my favorite fat bloggers, and/or bombard you with quotes from the aforementioned Gina Kolata, or Paul Campos, or J. Eric Oliver, or Michael Gard and Jan Wright, or Glenn Gaesser, or Marilyn Wann, or Laura Fraser. Seriously, you don’t even want to get me fucking started.

http://kateharding.net/faq/but-dont-you-realize-fat-is-unhealthy/

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 18 April 2011 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

The weight loss industry amuses me to no end.

The weight loss industry frightens me no end. Like a lot of woo, it promises results for no effort that have no basis in reality with plans that are ineffective at best and extremely dangerous at worst. These people rake in bucks by the billions every year by preying on vanity, desperation, and on occasion, laziness.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 April 2011 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 18 April 2011 11:56 PM

The weight loss industry amuses me to no end.

The weight loss industry frightens me no end. Like a lot of woo, it promises results for no effort that have no basis in reality with plans that are ineffective at best and extremely dangerous at worst. These people rake in bucks by the billions every year by preying on vanity, desperation, and on occasion, laziness.

It’s a very dangerous business, that does a lot of harm. Seriously, for what other disease are we directed to the mall for treatment? “You have Cancer. You should join Cancer Watchers.” It’s either a health problem or not. If it is, treat it medically.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 19 April 2011 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Seriously, for what other disease are we directed to the mall for treatment?

I’ve seen chiropractors hawking and even giving “treatments” in one of the local malls. I’ve also seen any number of dieting schemes being hawked at a local Whole Foods. Proof positive that quackery sells!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 April 2011 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 19 April 2011 09:15 AM

Seriously, for what other disease are we directed to the mall for treatment?

I’ve seen chiropractors hawking and even giving “treatments” in one of the local malls. I’ve also seen any number of dieting schemes being hawked at a local Whole Foods. Proof positive that quackery sells!

Yes, but usually you don’t see a gp who directs you to a chiropractor, whereas with the diet industry, they do do it. When GPs are taking part in it, it lends the industry creedence.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 19 April 2011 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Bees Mom - 18 April 2011 05:31 PM

I have been around long enough to read between the lines. Often the most pointed sentiments are the least blatant. You cannot bamboozle me into thinking you didn’t mean fat people when you wrote bacon filled eclairs.

For instance, you’re stereotyping here, that people are fat because they lack the self discipline and work ethic to lose weight, the flip side of which is that fat people are lazy and possibly stupid. Do you not even see that you are saying that? I doubt that you don’t. I’m fat, and I trained as a baker and got a degree while being a low income single mom to a very disabled child, so I know I am not lazy, and I have self discipline by the truckload.

And you didn’t hit close to home. I spent the weekend chasing my 12 year old around on her bike. Feel free to add some weights to come up to my weight and join me, I’m sure I’ll give you a run for your money.  Nor am I blaming anyone, I just am this, and it is fine. It’s just another way of being. Blaming skinny people? I pointed out that they are as susceptible to this hysterical weight obsession as well.

I can’t abide stereotyping, nor bullying behaviour, no matter how the person is justifying it.

I think you often have interesting things to say. I think sometimes you think you have to shock or become hyperbolic. I don’t really care, unless what you’re saying comes across as bigotted.

Yup, you got me.  I was definitely thinking of the fatties, and only the fatties, when I mentioned bacon-filled eclairs.  Only disgusting fat asses pack down junk food and take shortcuts.  You saw right through my clever bamboozling and shifty implications.  Curse you!  rolleyes

Look, I don’t really care if you think I was making some implied attack on hypothetical fat person stereotypes.  And in all honesty, I don’t think anything I write will convince you that I didn’t.  So read whatever you want into my posts.  You’re just going to anyway.

So I’m going to sit on my, apparently, skinny ass and continue stereotyping about all the lazy, junk food wolfing fatties that so disgust me.  snake

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2011 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

As one wise-ass to another, I understand your thinking, DM, however, Bee’s Mom has a very good point.  Take if from an antique wise-ass that it’s a real skill to be that while not attacking particular groups.  Attacking pandas is one thing, but putting down any group for their physical, behavioral, ethnic, etc. characteristics is well outside the limits of forum discussion.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 April 2011 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

But I wasn’t…..Oh never mind.

Stress.gif

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2011 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Dead Monky - 19 April 2011 01:17 PM

But I wasn’t…..Oh never mind.

Stress.gif

I am not looking to frustrate you nor attack you. I am trying to point out the basic fallacies of your position. Nor am I going to read into your posts what isn’t there. It’s there.

What I do want is for you to own your problem here and agree to think about it, instead of getting all teenage emo and slamming off because we just don’t understand you. The responsibility for being understood, unless you have a condition, is yours.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 19 April 2011 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Occam. - 19 April 2011 01:12 PM

As one wise-ass to another, I understand your thinking, DM, however, Bee’s Mom has a very good point.  Take if from an antique wise-ass that it’s a real skill to be that while not attacking particular groups.  Attacking pandas is one thing, but putting down any group for their physical, behavioral, ethnic, etc. characteristics is well outside the limits of forum discussion.

Occam

Thank you, Occam.

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

1 of 5