2 of 5
6 Diet Fads For People Who Will Try Anything Except Exercise
Posted: 19 April 2011 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Yes, but usually you don’t see a gp who directs you to a chiropractor, whereas with the diet industry, they do do it.

Any GP who directs me to a chiropractor will soon find himself losing a patient to a doctor who entertains no such foolishness.

As to the diet industry, point taken, but if I need that kind of help, I’ll go to a trained dietician/nutritionist. The quacks will have to try their luck elsewhere.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 20 April 2011 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
Bees Mom - 19 April 2011 02:34 PM

I am not looking to frustrate you nor attack you. I am trying to point out the basic fallacies of your position. Nor am I going to read into your posts what isn’t there. It’s there.

What I do want is for you to own your problem here and agree to think about it, instead of getting all teenage emo and slamming off because we just don’t understand you. The responsibility for being understood, unless you have a condition, is yours.

Fallacies in my position?  What?  That many human beings prefer shortcuts and quick fixes to actual hard work?  I don’t think there are too many fallacies in that.

But you want to play with fallacies?  Fine.  From where I sit, your position is absurd You read an obviously hyperbolic jest from me then automatically assume that I’m stereotyping and attacking fat people.  Not that I’m mocking people in general or the behavior itself or even that I could, possibly, be using some degree of sarcasm.  Oh no.  Then, you proceed to seat yourself upon your high horse and sanctimoniously upbraid me while categorically refusing to even consider the idea that you may, in fact, be mistaken.  Topping it off you have the audacity to play armchair psychologist and conjure some imaginary bigotry against heavy people out of my words.

blank stare

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 April 2011 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
Dead Monky - 08 March 2011 08:19 AM

Link

The weight loss industry amuses me to no end.  The idiotic crap will people will buy and abuse themselves with just so they don’t have to exercise or give up eating bacon filled eclairs is greatly amusing in its pathetic sadness.  And some of the ones on this list are retarded beyond measure.  Ear stapling, magic lumpy toe rings, flavor sprays, and oh yeah, hCG from preggo pee.  LOL

It seeems pretty clear that you think people are fat because they overeat and don’t exercise. I have argued that that is a fallacy, some people, possibly many are fat for possibly many other reasons

Maternal factors

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110418114210.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110315093039.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110314143450.htm

Neural/genetic causes

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110420183740.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110419205718.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110224145647.htm

Oddly tonsil related

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110201083335.htm

And obviously economically related

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110122112459.htm

So, your reduction was false, insulting, and pretty obvious.

Dead Monky - 18 April 2011 04:51 PM

Clearly it was fat people I was mocking and not the way people will do any ridiculous thing or try any goofy fad to avoid the life changing hard work and discipline it takes to actually lose weight and be healthy.

I fail to see how I could take this any way other than
1)being thinner=healthier
2)being thinner is the result of hard work and exercise
ergo
3)being fat is from not doing hard work and exercise
4)being skinny will change your life (please see every ad for a weight loss scam, btw)

Dead Monky - 18 April 2011 04:51 PM

From where I sit, your position is absurd You read an obviously hyperbolic jest from me then automatically assume that I’m stereotyping and attacking fat people.  Not that I’m mocking people in general or the behavior itself or even that I could, possibly, be using some degree of sarcasm.  Oh no.

I don’t think the onus is on me to sniff out your hyperbole and sarcasm. Saying something rude and stereotyping and following it with a wink and a nod doesn’t make it any less rude and stereotyping, especially to people that don’t know you. However, even your answers to this post indicate that you think I shouldn’t comment on the bigotted things you are writing because you are so witty.

Dead Monky - 19 April 2011 11:51 AM

Look, I don’t really care if you think I was making some implied attack on hypothetical fat person stereotypes.  And in all honesty, I don’t think anything I write will convince you that I didn’t.  So read whatever you want into my posts.  You’re just going to anyway.

But on some level you must care or you wouldn’t keep responding. I am responding because I do care very much, and I do for racism or sexism or classism, etc.. And because I stopped long ago just putting up with the hilarious insults.

Dead Monky - 19 April 2011 11:51 AM

So I’m going to sit on my, apparently, skinny ass and continue stereotyping about all the lazy, junk food wolfing fatties that so disgust me.  snake

Hmm, implying that you’re fat, which therefore make all this acceptable? No, sorry. If you’re fat and you’re writing this, then I hope you feel better about yourself than this implies.

C

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, DM, but your argument is as weak as that of the Republican committee person from Orange, Calif. who claimed that her e-mailiing a photo of a chimp family but with Obama’s face put on the young chimp’s body, was just a joke and she couldn’t see why anyone should be offended. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

It seeems pretty clear that you think people are fat because they overeat and don’t exercise.

Some are.

Yes, there are people with genuine medical issues but from my highly and admittedly subjective point of view, they’re more the unhappy exception then the norm. Be that as it may, panaceas, various diet plans with no effort, and magic “Fat Burning” pills are no solution regardless of that. They’re snake oil in flashy new packaging.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 21 April 2011 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 20 April 2011 11:33 PM

It seeems pretty clear that you think people are fat because they overeat and don’t exercise.

Some are.

Yes, there are people with genuine medical issues but from my highly and admittedly subjective point of view, they’re more the unhappy exception then the norm. Be that as it may, panaceas, various diet plans with no effort, and magic “Fat Burning” pills are no solution regardless of that. They’re snake oil in flashy new packaging.

Ah, but I am not denying some people are fat because they overeat and don’t exercise. What I am saying is that you don’t know that is the case for any given fat person, and even if it is, it’s no one else’s business to comment on. 

And I am also saying that we are learning more and more about the body, and so it is rare that anything is as simple as what the layman thinks.

And I am saying some people, many people, ARE active and eat well AND are still fat.

And I am saying that people who are slender or skinny are NOT necessarily more disciplined, and do not necessarily eat better, or exercise more than fat people.

I think people should eat well, exercise, and learn to love their body, or at least stop hating it, regardless of the size or shape. But I certainly don’t want to run around constantly reading things that imply I have severe personal deficits because I’m fat. Or my bf. Or my lovely fat friends.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 21 April 2011 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

What I am saying is that you don’t know that is the case for any given fat person, and even if it is, it’s no one else’s business to comment on.

And I’m not trying to imply otherwise. My big gripe is with the predators who pitch snake oil which promises results which they can’t deliver on or if they do, at extreme risk to the persons trying it.

As to anybody’s weight issues on a personal level, that’s between you and a compatant health care professional to deal with as you see fit.

I don’t get involved.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Sorry I bailed on you, Bee’s Mom.  I’ve been busy.  Crazy busy.  If you want, we can pick this up again.  Or not.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I’m with DM on this. I don’t think he was insulting fat people. Going by what he wrote, he is taking a jab at people who don’t want to be fat but who want to continue their fattening eating habits, and who will buy a product that promises to provide this. It has nothing to do with fat people, per se.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 05 June 2011 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20
Bees Mom - 20 April 2011 10:31 PM

It seeems pretty clear that you think people are fat because they overeat and don’t exercise. I have argued that that is a fallacy, some people, possibly many are fat for possibly many other reasons.

But generally it isn’t a fallacy. I, like most fat people am overweight because I take in too many calories and don’t do enough to burn them off.

My best chance of doing something about it is not to kid myself.

Stephen

Posted: 06 June 2011 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
StephenLawrence - 05 June 2011 01:03 PM
Bees Mom - 20 April 2011 10:31 PM

It seeems pretty clear that you think people are fat because they overeat and don’t exercise. I have argued that that is a fallacy, some people, possibly many are fat for possibly many other reasons.

But generally it isn’t a fallacy. I, like most fat people am overweight because I take in too many calories and don’t do enough to burn them off.

My best chance of doing something about it is not to kid myself.

Stephen

The problem here is with generalising, and in a particularly insulting way.  Most fat people I know have dieted, and exercised, and gone up and down, and are extremely aware of what they eat and how much they exercise. So I get very annoyed when people try to insinuate all fat people are lazy, deluded fools, thank you. I sure as hell know I’m not. And thin people can have unhealthy abdominal fat that isn’t visible but presents a health risk. Better to be a woman with a huge butt than a skinny person with fat hidden inside. But, of course, the visible is all that matters, and we assume one is healthier than the other.

I will suggest you’re better off exercising no matter what your weight, and that your weight should not be your focus at all. It is not, necessarily, the be all and end all health marker many assume. I think about what I eat and exercise regardless of my weight. Please see the Kate Harding link I posted for more on that.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 06 June 2011 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Dead Monky - 02 June 2011 12:44 PM

Sorry I bailed on you, Bee’s Mom.  I’ve been busy.  Crazy busy.  If you want, we can pick this up again.  Or not.  LOL

No, thanks. I’ve said all I wanted to for now. I have many other things to do.

Good day.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 06 June 2011 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I can tell you that I am fat, because i do not exercise (anymore), and eat way too much. But that is my story.. wink

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 June 2011 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20
Bees Mom - 06 June 2011 01:07 AM

The problem here is with generalising, and in a particularly insulting way.  Most fat people I know have dieted, and exercised, and gone up and down, and are extremely aware of what they eat and how much they exercise. So I get very annoyed when people try to insinuate all fat people are lazy, deluded fools, thank you.

Only the majority of the ones who don’t accept that they are fat because they take in too many calories and exercise too little (in relation to the calorie intake).

Stephen

[ Edited: 06 June 2011 06:15 AM by StephenLawrence ]

Posted: 06 June 2011 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Bees Mom - 06 June 2011 01:13 AM

No, thanks. I’ve said all I wanted to for now. I have many other things to do.

Aww, but I’m not cranky anymore. ;D I just messing with you anyway.  Can we at least let bygones be bygones and bury the hatchet?

asanta - 06 June 2011 03:57 AM

I can tell you that I am fat, because i do not exercise (anymore), and eat way too much. But that is my story.. wink

Heh heh.  Me too.  Though I’m trying to exercise more and eat less junk food.  So far, the second part is working out fine.  My involuntarily imposed poverty diet has done wonders for keeping me away from junk food. LOL

Signature 

2 of 5