4 of 5
6 Diet Fads For People Who Will Try Anything Except Exercise
Posted: 05 July 2011 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, the documentary basically makes two claims:

1.) People are fat due to genetic reasons (the majority), explained by the theory of the “survival of the fattest,”  and ~20% may be overweight due to a pathogen (the “pink eye” virus).

2.) Making people—who normally don’t overeat—intake double their daily calories will result in some interesting outcomes: some will gain more weight than others and some will, supposedly, grow their muscles instead of acquiring additional fat. A few problems with this so-called “study” (testing ten people is not a properly conducted scientific study, BTW): How people react under these conditions (i.e., being obligated to overeat) merely tells us what happens when you make people to overeat. That is all. It could be that stress (most likely not the same degree of stress in all of the participants) due to being obligated to overeat impacted each of the people differently. Also, as Dr. House reminds us over and over, people lie. Did the Chinese guy really not work out? I wouldn’t be so sure of it.

As is often the case, these small correlational studies tell us very little about the reality and the actual cause.

The one thing the documentary actually proves is that fat people eat more and thin people are absolutely disgusted by overeating.

Posted: 05 July 2011 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
martmarys12 - 05 July 2011 04:11 PM

and where are diets?

Spam.

Posted: 05 July 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24

I agree with George’s comment essentially, the doc was ok, I would have liked it to go into a little more detail however. It’s obvious IMO that people have different metabolisms. Concerning the title of this thread- exercise is worthless for an extremly obese person; the amount of calories you would have to burn to loose hundreds of pounds would basically require enough exercise to kill you. Besides, the effects would take so long the person would most likley get discouraged and give up. Eating less calories is the first step.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 July 2011 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 05 July 2011 06:34 PM

Eating less calories is the first step.

In other words, dieting. The problem with diets is that they only work as long as one is on a diet. Eventually, though, people get hungry again and stop dieting. In most cases, diets fail.

Posted: 05 July 2011 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 05 July 2011 06:45 PM
mid atlantic - 05 July 2011 06:34 PM

Eating less calories is the first step.

In other words, dieting. The problem with diets is that they only work as long as one is on a diet. Eventually, though, people get hungry again and stop dieting. In most cases, diets fail.

Not exactly, eating less to drop a lot of weight is hard, but it can be done. The person has to change their eating habits. They have to force their body into another feeding system.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2011 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 05 July 2011 07:09 PM

The person has to change their eating habits. They have to force their body into another feeding system.

grin Yes, in other words, “A deliberate selection of food to control body weight or nutrient intake.” A.k.a. dieting.

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I debated posting this here for a bit.  But then I decided, “Screw it.  Let’s toss this baby on the coals and see how much it flares up.”

Link

She holds the dubious honour of being the Guinness Book Of Records’ fattest woman ever to give birth, requiring a team of 30 medics to deliver her daughter during a high-risk Caesarean birth.

Now, four years on, Donna Simpson has gained a further 12st and, staggeringly, continues to eat as she attempts to reach 72st and land a second record as the world’s most obese woman.

And after splitting from long-term partner and feeder Philippe Gouamba, the 50st mother is relying on her four year-old daughter Jacqueline to bring her food to help her reach her goal.

‘I’ve taught her to accept all sizes. If she wasn’t around to feed me, I’d have given up on my supersize dream.’

Aw, isn’t that cute?  She’s helping to kill mommy with wuv.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 09 July 2011 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  3985
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 06 July 2011 09:58 AM

I debated posting this here for a bit.  But then I decided, “Screw it.  Let’s toss this baby on the coals and see how much it flares up.”

Better wear those safety glasses and stand back, if she blows it’s gonna be ugly.
15,000 calories per day, jeez that’s like a hundred cheap beers a day.

Have I ever mentioned that, in my humble opinion, food eating contests are about the most disgusting thing going?
And she makes money by people paying to watch her eat… damned no wonder I’m such a freakster that world out there makes no sense to me.

PS what the 12st, 50st, 72st.
. . . . . . . oh is that 12 “stones?”  How much is a stone anyways?  Google says:  1 stone = 6.35kilograms
50 stone would equal 317.5 kg or 698.5 pounds
72st, would be 457.2 kg or 1 005.9 pounds.
~ ~ ~

good god to have as a personal goal to weigh half a ton,  man and I thought some of my goals were weird…
thanks, I’m feeling much better about myself.
    tongue wink

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 09 July 2011 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

That’s awful! What a disgusting pile, and the men who are sending their love and money should be shot.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 09 July 2011 02:34 PM

That’s awful! What a disgusting pile, and the men who are sending their love and money should be shot.

I would like to know where the child welfare people are.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 July 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 09 July 2011 02:45 PM

Seriously, doesn’t anyone in that neighborhood notice anything? I doubt that the mom is preparing healthy meals for the child.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 09 July 2011 02:55 PM

Seriously, doesn’t anyone in that neighborhood notice anything? I doubt that the mom is preparing healthy meals for the child.

Did you read the story? The child brings mom 15,000 calories a day. More likely, the child is making her OWN meals. I HOPE she isn’t cooking too! But I wouldn’t be surprised if she were. This is child abuse.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 July 2011 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 12 July 2011 03:26 PM
mid atlantic - 09 July 2011 02:55 PM

Did you read the story? The child brings mom 15,000 calories a day. More likely, the child is making her OWN meals. I HOPE she isn’t cooking too! But I wouldn’t be surprised if she were. This is child abuse.

Either way, it’s a bad thing. In 15 years the girl will have taken mom’s place.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2011 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

I work for an online media company, we provide an RTB platform for advertisers to bid on traffic from our various network Exchanges.

Anyways, part of my job is reviewing the submitted campaigns - I have to check the banners, and approve them to run on sites that don’t prohibit whatever vertical they are running. I also have to check the landing page - which provides hours of entertainment when I see some of the ridiculous offers people try to run.

Last months most popular diet offers were:

1. African mango diet (not South American mangos, orAsian mangos…......AFRICAN)

2. Acai Berry supplement

3. A bracelet that curbed your hunger

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 05 November 2011 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, I guess #3 would work if it were around one’s neck and tight enough.  LOL

Occam

Signature