10 of 10
Just One Religion Gone - Which One?
Posted: 13 April 2011 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
The Traveler - 13 April 2011 09:59 AM

Its good to have people like you setting the example. I think its quite childish when someone of higher intelligence has to resort to such base methods. Its difficult to not go there though, I admit. It just tends to degrade the conversation…

There’s also a point where you realize that no matter what you say to him he isn’t going to listen, but he’s still going to keep spouting off like he’s Lord Omnipotus.  Trolling and flaming those types is a great stress reliever. grin

EDIT
Fixed a typo.

[ Edited: 13 April 2011 03:14 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
Dead Monky - 13 April 2011 01:32 PM
The Traveler - 13 April 2011 09:59 AM

Its good to have people like you setting the example. I think its quite childish when someone of higher intelligence has to resort to such base methods. Its difficult to not go there though, I admit. It just tends to degrade the conversation…

There’s also a point where you realize that no matter what you say to him he isn’t going to listen, but he’s still going to keep spouting off like he Lord Omnipotus.  Trolling and flaming those types is a great stress reliever. grin

Can’t say that I agree with you there, as I can think of a million more noble and mature ways to relieve one’s stress, but I won’t argue with you, friend.  wink

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
The Traveler - 13 April 2011 03:12 PM

Can’t say that I agree with you there, as I can think of a million more noble and mature ways to relieve one’s stress, but I won’t argue with you, friend.  wink

You dare not agree with me?  But I am Lord Omnipotus!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 April 2011 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, Traveler, but here is one of those few times (:lol: ) I have to agree with DM.  While I don’t use it as a stress reliever, I am an incurable wise ass so when someone is being a pompous jerk and is impervious to reason, I enjoy making comments that may at least condition him/her away from blathering his/her stupidity.

Yes, it’s nice to keep the discussion on a higher, more intellectual, more civilized level, but when another participant insists on avoiding all those descriptive adjectives, I’m willing to accept the level s/he has chosen.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 April 2011 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 13 April 2011 04:52 PM

Sorry, Traveler, but here is one of those few times (:lol: ) I have to agree with DM.  While I don’t use it as a stress reliever, I am an incurable wise ass so when someone is being a pompous jerk and is impervious to reason, I enjoy making comments that may at least condition him/her away from blathering his/her stupidity.

Yes, it’s nice to keep the discussion on a higher, more intellectual, more civilized level, but when another participant insists on avoiding all those descriptive adjectives, I’m willing to accept the level s/he has chosen.

Occam

See, I knew this would happen. That’s not traveler, that’s The Traveler  tongue wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 April 2011 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Damn, I’m really sorry, traveler.  I was curious about the change in apparent logic from your prior posts and the addition of that icon.  I’ll be much more careful and aware after this.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2011 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

The hell of it is, a basic Google search of this matter using “Cold water survival chart” would have given this guy 910,000 results in 0.15 seconds.

His arguement: He has to go to work and doesn’t have the time!

(Sigh) Somebody shoot me please. Quicker that way, and I might come to enjoy the smell of burning gunpowder! sick

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 14 April 2011 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 13 April 2011 06:00 PM

Damn, I’m really sorry, traveler.  I was curious about the change in apparent logic from your prior posts and the addition of that icon.  I’ll be much more careful and aware after this.

Occam

I’m just glad I’m not the only one who was confused! Thanks for the clarification Traveler, I’ll pay closer attention.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 April 2011 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
Occam. - 13 April 2011 04:52 PM

Occam

That’s fine, I just see it as undignifying and counterproductive to verbally insult someone simply because you don’t like their position and you can’t get them to agree with you. Keep in mind that its this method of discussion that I’m targeting right now. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen you resort to verbally assaulting someone, so I don’t know if you would fit into the issue I’m discussing. If you are referring to verbally insulting someone, I’m a little disappointed, and not sure how that works with your position as a moderator.

However, if you are just referring to poking fun or humoring someone else in order to still get the poster’s attention and get your point across, then I guess I can still see that as a valid tactic, depending on the circumstances.

[ Edited: 14 April 2011 08:16 AM by Cloak ]
 Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 April 2011 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

That’s fine, I just see it as undignifying and counterproductive to verbally insult someone simply because you don’t like their position and you can’t get them to agree with you.

My objection to that approach in any debate is that it’s lazy.

Digging up sources and references which are credible and verifiable to support one’s position takes some effort. Not as much as some might think (Thank you very much, Google!) but it does require that somebody exert a measure of effort.

The problem is that way too many people don’t want to be bothered with it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 14 April 2011 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

While I enjoy reasonable discussions, when someone is pompous, “holier than thou” (please don’t think I’m referrring to you, The Traveler), or rigid they tend to detract from the informal, enjoyable atmosphere of the forum.  The extent of their transgression determines the level of response they get, ranging from good natured kidding through snarky, and as I once suggested to a troll who was thoroughly obnoxious and insulting, that he seriously consider self-copulation. 

I think you have an uneducated view of the function of a moderator on this forum.  You may want to review the rules.  If you’ve been reading the posts assiduously you’ll note that I pointed out the difference between my role as a moderator when the statements are in blue and my role as a member with text in black. 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2011 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
Occam. - 14 April 2011 10:52 PM

While I enjoy reasonable discussions, when someone is pompous, “holier than thou” (please don’t think I’m referrring to you, The Traveler), or rigid they tend to detract from the informal, enjoyable atmosphere of the forum.  The extent of their transgression determines the level of response they get, ranging from good natured kidding through snarky, and as I once suggested to a troll who was thoroughly obnoxious and insulting, that he seriously consider self-copulation. 

I think you have an uneducated view of the function of a moderator on this forum.  You may want to review the rules.  If you’ve been reading the posts assiduously you’ll note that I pointed out the difference between my role as a moderator when the statements are in blue and my role as a member with text in black. 

Occam

Regarding the moderator thing, I understand that you are also an active poster outside of your moderator position. Those are two different roles, and I shouldn’t get them confused. It was bad taste for me to discuss that role publicly and I regret making mention of it in my earlier post. If I ever have any questions or concerns about your role as a moderator and a poster, it would be more proper for me to discuss it privately. I apologize.

I’m just going to have to refer to my earlier comments in response to your first paragraph, as I believe they sufficiently summarize my feeling about this issue. In my opinion, resorting to throwing personal insults at someone, simply because they won’t agree with you, or because you don’t like them reduces you to their level and makes you no better than the person you are attacking. As I said before, I think its childish and counter-productive.

Signature 

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 18 April 2011 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

In my opinion, resorting to throwing personal insults at someone, simply because they won’t agree with you, or because you don’t like them reduces you to their level and makes you no better than the person you are attacking. As I said before, I think its childish and counter-productive.

In a lot of respects, it’s worse. Insults don’t make one’s case or validate an arguement. Evidence does that so that’s what I try to stick with.

Which is not to say that I am or ever will be perfect in this regard. I’m still human and as with anybody else, there are limits to my patience. That’s why when I find myself being provoked and realize I just can’t be rational, I step away. It’s easier on my blood pressure if nothing else.

Signature 

10 of 10