3 of 10
Just One Religion Gone - Which One?
Posted: 12 March 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>but then I generally think cults are hideous.<<

I agree.

But then I have problems with the whole premise of religion, not the least of which being that an omnipotant being which is capable of creating an entire universe wants 10% of my income and has a nuerotic obsession with whether or not I’m married to somebody with whom I’m having sex.

Pretty silly when you actually think about it, but it’s quite the effective money making racket!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 12 March 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2010-10-14
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 12 March 2011 01:06 PM

I agree.

But then I have problems with the whole premise of religion, not the least of which being that an omnipotant being which is capable of creating an entire universe wants 10% of my income and has a nuerotic obsession with whether or not I’m married to somebody with whom I’m having sex.

Pretty silly when you actually think about it, but it’s quite the effective money making racket!

Hmm…tbh that is one side that religion has actual stats to go it’s way. For example statistically those who lived together before getting married are more likely to divorce and/or separate once married…and those who lived together prior to marriage also seem to poll as being the most unhappy post-getting-married…

In general I think I can agree with religions with their views on marriage…especially when it concerns family and the effects of a divorce on everyone involved.

Signature 

As I look back on my life, If I could have the glorious moment
The wondrous opportunity to comprehend
The chance to see my younger self
One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 12 March 2011 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

As BFI pointed out, Rocinante specifically blocked us from choosing “root” religions.  That’s why I didn’t choose the Abrahamic ones, even though that would be the best use of that button he defined.  I may have interpreted the rule a bit less strictly that Rocinante meant by chosing christianity or islam.  Even Catholicism might be considered a root religion, so it would be exempt.  Since they’ve all split into so many variations, it’s not worth my time to choose any particular sect because it’s loss wouldn’t even be noticeable and the adherants would just be absorbed by similar groups. 

Now, using PlaClair’s definition, I’d we willing to allow all religions to flourish as long as they did not have theism or authority as a part of their belief systems and just push the button on those who don’t meet those criteria.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 March 2011 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

>>For example statistically those who lived together before getting married are more likely to divorce and/or separate once married…and those who lived together prior to marriage also seem to poll as being the most unhappy post-getting-married…<<

Maybe, and maybe not. I’ve seen this missive trotted out before, usually by the religious right and almost always to support an agenda without bothering to question whether or not the so-called statistics are real or, if they are real, are being read in context.

As a very smart fella once said; “There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics.”

Be that as it may, it all really misses the point, the point being that there is no really good reason why any alleged omnipotant being would have any particular interest in our trivial persuits, be that who we have sex with (Or not!), and nobody has ever been able to give me a logical reason why an omnipotant being would want or even need money.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 12 March 2011 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree EOC, but I wish Affluenza (who complained about others hijacking his thread) wouldn’t switch the focus away from the question Rocinante started this thread with to specifics about activities of various members of religions.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2011 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2010-10-14
Occam. - 12 March 2011 06:44 PM

I agree EOC, but I wish Affluenza (who complained about others hijacking his thread) wouldn’t switch the focus away from the question Rocinante started this thread with to specifics about activities of various members of religions.

Occam

Huh? I didn’t introduce anything new…

You don’t know what hijacking is…you also fail as a mod if you think that’s hijacking. Lets be honest though you don’t like me and are just bitter.

Signature 

One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 12 March 2011 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

In the spirit of staying on topic, and within the set perameters, I’ll cast my vote for one of the more modern frauds…errrrr…religions: Scientology.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

No, teacher, you can’t blame me for chewing gum because Johnny brought it and gave me a piece.  LOL

We apparently have different definitions of what hijacking a thread means.  Within my definition, I stand by my statement.  Only when you see something written in blue am I acting as a moderator.  In this case I was commenting as a member of the forum. 

No, I’ve been told that I taste sweet.

I’m reminded of the story about the famous psychoanalyst, Franz Alexander.  He had a patient who did quite a number of similar things, but as he picked his nose and wiped it on the wall, he said, “You don’t like me, do you Dr. Alexander.”  The doctor answered in his German accent, “So, who could like you?”

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2010-10-14

Show me where I introduced a new topic/subject?

Signature 

One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 12 March 2011 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
George - 12 March 2011 07:53 AM
ExMachina - 11 March 2011 09:26 PM

Buddhism is the only one that doesn’t have a history of genocidal bloodshed.

I never said I didn’t like it because the new-age buddhists were violent. I said it irked me because I find it silly.

I personally would want to rid the world of the most screwed up religion than the one that irked me. Hinduism is the root of Buddhism, so I guess you couldn’t have used that one, but if you wanted to take out all the craziness out of Buddhism, removing all it’s Hindu roots would do the trick. Outside of that, I personally find Buddhism to be a well thought out religion.

Posted: 12 March 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
George - 09 March 2011 12:03 PM

Buddhism. The new-agy one. No good reason, it just irks the hell out of me.

George, I must humbly say that you are out of your mind! Buddhism is the only one that doesn’t have a history of genocidal bloodshed. Next time try to pick a more “deathy deathy” religion. There’s a whole bunch out there.

`
Sorry George, but I’m compelled to ditto ExMachina’s remark here!

Your comment is kind of like saying that gremlins are the ‘scariest horror movie creature’.......uh, no.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 12 March 2011 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
Axegrrl - 12 March 2011 11:05 PM
George - 09 March 2011 12:03 PM

Buddhism. The new-agy one. No good reason, it just irks the hell out of me.

George, I must humbly say that you are out of your mind! Buddhism is the only one that doesn’t have a history of genocidal bloodshed. Next time try to pick a more “deathy deathy” religion. There’s a whole bunch out there.

`
Sorry George, but I’m compelled to ditto ExMachina’s remark here!

Your comment is kind of like saying that gremlins are the ‘scariest horror movie creature’.......uh, no.

`

I third what Axegrrl and ExMachina are saying.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 March 2011 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
Affluenza - 12 March 2011 04:01 PM
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 12 March 2011 01:06 PM

I agree.

Hmm…tbh that is one side that religion has actual stats to go it’s way. For example statistically those who lived together before getting married are more likely to divorce and/or separate once married…and those who lived together prior to marriage also seem to poll as being the most unhappy post-getting-married…

In general I think I can agree with religions with their views on marriage…especially when it concerns family and the effects of a divorce on everyone involved.

`
Hmm, from what I’ve seen/read on this subject, there aren’t any citations for any research that supports such a conclusion.  If you’re privy to any, I’d be very interested in seeing it.

You might find this thread/discussion on the topic interesting:

The Friendly Atheist - Does Cohabitation Work?

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Islam & Scientology

Im not sure which one takes the cake - they are both pretty bat-shit crazy in equal measure.

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 13 March 2011 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
missmac - 13 March 2011 03:58 AM

Islam & Scientology

Im not sure which one takes the cake - they are both pretty bat-shit crazy in equal measure.

Jehovah’s witness and mormons are not too far behind…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

3 of 10