The Hearings on Muslim extremists
Posted: 10 March 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-03-07

I can find no statement on the web site of Center for Inquiry or The American Humanist Association about the Congressional Hearings on Muslim extremism. This kind of witch hunting should be opposed by Humanists. If the concern is extremism and extremist causes of terrorism or violence that should be the topic of the committee. They should not be cleaving out Muslims for investigation. This is like new McCarthyism. And with the right of labor to bargain, this is clearly a distraction from labor and unemployment issues.

“It is true that specific individuals, including some who are Muslims, are violent extremists.  However, these are individuals – but not entire communities.  Individuals like Anwar Al-Aulaqi, Faisel Shazad, and Nidal Hasan do not represent the Muslim American community. When their violent actions are associated with an entire community, then blame is assigned to a whole group.  This is the very heart of stereotyping and scapegoating, which is counter-productive.”
  - Rep. Keith Ellison
  - US Congressman, Fifth District of Minnesota
member of the congressional progressive caucus

Posted: 10 March 2011 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2009-02-26

The Inquisition is alive and well.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 March 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Write4U - 10 March 2011 01:14 PM

The Inquisition is alive and well.

It’s politics. I suppose the Inquisition was politics too. Which group of “right” thinking people get power over the rest of us.

People like to see themselves as progressive and maybe scientifically that’s true but psychologically, behaviorally I don’t think much has changed.

Ideally people think equality, reality I think says otherwise.

Posted: 10 March 2011 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-07

I think you’re right Gnostikosis. The usual knee jerk (evolutionary response) is first, the individuals desire to survive when feeling threatened, then the survival of whatever groups the individual identifies with, then blame the other group. And it’s so easy for politicians to play on those instincts. I think this is partly a distraction for workers, the Wisconsin situation, and joblessness. They are looking for a scapegoat, as always, to direct people to. - Gary

Posted: 10 March 2011 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2009-02-26

The Politician’s credo, “In the absence of motive, I’ll provide one, and it’s scary”....“FOLLOW MEEEEEEEE!>>>>>>> shock

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 March 2011 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

Where are the hearings on the Montana Militia?  Never mind, I just realized they are basically WASP orgnaizations therefore by definition cannot be terrorists.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 11 March 2011 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-07

The Democrats wanted a committee on a broader range of terrorism or extremism, including as one said, the KKK, the “oldest terrorist organization in the United States.” - Gary

Posted: 11 March 2011 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
garythehuman - 11 March 2011 06:48 AM

Where are the hearings on the Montana Militia?  Never mind, I just realized they are basically WASP orgnaizations therefore by definition cannot be terrorists.

They already had them in 1995.

The hypocrisy of Useful Idiots for Jihadists liberals knows no bounds.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 12 March 2011 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

“Toronto 18 member gets life sentence
Shareef Abdelhaleem, tried under Anti-terrorism Act, says sentence is too heavy”

The sentence is too heavy? Really?!?

“Mr. Abdelhaleem exhibits no genuine remorse or insight into his behavior and has so far not accepted responsibility for his dangerous actions,” Dawson said.

Read it here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/04/shareef-abdlehaleem-sentence356.html?ref=rss

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 12 March 2011 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree that they shouldn’t target islamic extremists; they should be much more fair and target all Abrahamic religions.  LOL

Making all churches illegal and preaching a felony would be good first steps.  snake

Yes, I’m joking so don’t any of you religious lurkers quote this as the views of the CFI or even of one member.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 March 2011 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

My own opinion is that if Congress wishes to investigate extremist fringe groups which try to “radicalize” a specific demographic, they should invesigate ALL of them. Right wing, left wing, religious, non-religious, etcetera, ad nauseum.

It’s not as if any one group has a monopoly on bomb throwing whackjobs.

Fair is fair, but that’s just me. (Your milage may vary on this one.)

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 17 March 2011 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22
Rocinante - 11 March 2011 04:38 PM
garythehuman - 11 March 2011 06:48 AM

They already had them in 1995.

The hypocrisy of Useful Idiots for Jihadists liberals knows no bounds.

One , I am not a liberal but an independent.

Two, I an not so ignorant or inncoent not to know when a particluar group is being attacked for political purposes.  It makes as much sense for this dingbat in Congress to be asking why the Muslim Mosques are not doing enough to combat terrorism as it does to ask why the Protestant Churches are not doing enough to combat the Montana Miltia.

I am against all terrorists, including Cahtolic Clergy covering up for their fellow priest’s sexually abusing children, and sothern (legal) gun dealers supplying arms to drug gangs.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.