the big questions
Posted: 13 March 2011 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-13

so, i had these 2 questions burning me up inside. i know most of you would say there is no answer but i still would appreciate your views.
ok so i used to be a Hindu but like 5yrs ago stopped believing in the the existence of god(s). i felt it was important to mention this because i have limited knowledge of the western religions except what i learnt from my American friends.

this question is to all theists out there:

1) why does god exist? (some say he was just there, eternal, why was he just there?)

2) why did he make humans? whats the purpose of making a universe? (some say to test us, why?. if god loves every1 why cant we all go straight to heaven n why the hassle of making a “perfect” earth and the entire universe?)

so any answers would be appreciated and dwelt upon keenly.

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Hi and welcome. There may be a few theists lurking about here, but most of us are asking them the same questions and given very unsatisfactory answers. I also want to know why a Hindi, living an exemplary Hindu life would be denied entrance into the christian heaven, just because s/he believes in the wrong gods, or has never heard of the christian god?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
asanta - 13 March 2011 03:32 AM

Hi and welcome. There may be a few theists lurking about here, but most of us are asking them the same questions and given very unsatisfactory answers. I also want to know why a Hindi, living an exemplary Hindu life would be denied entrance into the christian heaven, just because s/he believes in the wrong gods, or has never heard of the christian god?

I agree with Asanta in that none of the answers are satisfactory and worst yet, you’ll probably get 3 to 5 different answers to each question. Each equally as unsatisfactory as the other. On that positive note, any Christians here want to take a shot at his questions?

Posted: 13 March 2011 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>1) why does god exist?<<

Loaded question. It assume that God (or gods) exist in the first place.

Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence. Much the same objection applies to the question of why s/he created humans. It assumes that we were created. Not only does this assume facts not in evidence, what evidence there is points to evolution, not creation.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 13 March 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, the Abrahamic religions have that covered in the Old Testament (Jobe).  How dare you mere humans presume to know the thinking of an omnipotent, omniscient being?  In other words, you’re too dumb to understand the answers.  What? you say that’s a critical thinking fallacy?  How dare you?  You’re doomed, I tell you, doomed for the sin of thinking.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
arjunvir - 13 March 2011 01:54 AM

1) why does god exist? (some say he was just there, eternal, why was he just there?)

Another way of asking this would be to ask, “What caused God?”  My Catholic family would expect me to come up with causes for everything because they were trying to give credit for everything good that happens or exists to God.  Where did people come from?  They evolved from lower animals.  Where did the lower animals come from? The evolved from single cell life forms.  They would keep asking “Where did x come from?” until I would get to the big bang.  Then they would say aha!  That’s where God was needed to start everything.  This is where there thinking would end and it never seemed to bother them that they never had to come up with a cause for God or where did God come from.  God is infinite, God is eternal, God always was.

arjunvir - 13 March 2011 01:54 AM

2) why did he make humans? whats the purpose of making a universe? (some say to test us, why?. if god loves every1 why cant we all go straight to heaven n why the hassle of making a “perfect” earth and the entire universe?)

My Catholic family had several explanations for why God made the Earth and humans.  One was “for the greater honor and glory of God.”  Another was “Because God is a God of love and God wanted to create humans so that God could love them and they could love God.”  If God is good then God would probably prefer creativity to destruction.  Making the universe and humans was a creative act.

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-03-13

Why he exist?  Good question, no easy answer I’m afraid.  I guess I like the idea of somebody being in charge, somebody to thank, complain to, or ask things from.  I don’t want it to be a free for all on the playground of life, but that’s just my feeble attempt to answer a tough question.

Why make humans?  Don’t see a reason for this one.  God was bored with angels and so he created man?  Yeah, never quite understood this one, but man has always tried to figure out where he came from so we answered that by saying God wanted to hang with us.

In my eyes God made all the rules and I just have to do my part as best as I can, based on my own limited understanding of God.  Then again, I could just be full of crap?  rolleyes

Posted: 13 March 2011 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01

“for the greater honor and glory of God”

I’ve always loved this answer. God created you so you can kiss his ass for eternity. LOL

Posted: 13 March 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2010-10-14

The real question is…if there is a god, a creator of everything…who are we to question his judgement and assume we have a higher understanding and moral compass?

An interesting anicdote from when I studied in Saudi…

Someone that didn’t know of islam or has never come into contact with islam (indigenous person from a tribe in some isolated jungle for example) will be asked on his day of judgement…if he knows of god…the quran etc. If they say “No” god will show them heaven and hell…and he will tell that person to go into a portal that looks like hell. A true believer will accept what he has been told and walk through said portal.

An unbeliever will disobey and walk through the portal that looks like heaven…but actually those who listened and obeyed will find that they have actually walked into the portal for heaven…and those who disobeyed will find themselves in hell…

I found it amusing when it was told to me…

Signature 

As I look back on my life, If I could have the glorious moment
The wondrous opportunity to comprehend
The chance to see my younger self
One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 13 March 2011 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

And the moral of the story is:  Think for yourself and use the evidence you see, and you’ll be screwed.  Follow authority blindly and you’ll be saved. 

Great sales pitch.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 March 2011 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
ExMachina - 13 March 2011 03:37 PM

God created you so you can kiss his ass for eternity.

That has two different meanings.  One meaning is that it means a person needs to submit and follow.  I am convinced that some people not only have no problem with having something or someone to blindly follow, they love it.  As for the other meaning, some people love to do that too.

Posted: 17 March 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

Why does god exist?

He is useful to us humans.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.