3 of 3
Spirituality: Friend or Foe? - Adam Frank and Tom Flynn
Posted: 21 May 2011 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2011-04-11

Gnostikosis - 22 March 2011 03:29 PM

I think it means they believe they can find happiness and self satisfaction through spiritual concepts, which maybe true.
However they see no need/reason to have those concepts validated by traditional religious doctrine. Or, apparently science for that matter.

I suppose it is like, “If it makes me feel good, it doesn’t matter whether the concept is based in reality.”

Any more “spiritual” expressions than “The World Is Just Awesome” (the awesome Discovery Channel slogan), from someone who says “I’m not religious but…” means they’re still a slave to magical thinking and are therefore not thinking clearly.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
The phrase “False Prophet” is redundant.  Cleanliness is next to… nothing.
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 21 May 2011 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2011-04-11

kennykjc - 11 April 2011 09:59 PM

Spirituality is a word that can not be separated from the stuff you hear on Oprah.

I have no idea why it’s a subject of this podcast with endorsement from the host. It once again solidifys my belief that Chris Mooney has no business being the host of this show.

While I disagree with a lot of Mooney’s fuzzy thinking on the nature of spirituality and its connotations, I strongly disagree with the above statement.  Mooney has done an excellent job of hosting the show.  He is polite, calm, and promotes an honest discussion of the issues involved in the debate.  The fact that some of his positions are just plain wrong does not change the fact that he is doing a great job in the role of host.  Tom Flynn’s points won the debate hands down, IMHO.  But in all the podcasts which Mooney hosted, he did a great job in keeping the discussion calm, reasoned, and rolling along smoothly.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
The phrase “False Prophet” is redundant.  Cleanliness is next to… nothing.
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 27 September 2011 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-17

What a pleasure to hear Tom Flynn’s careful language after Frank’s verbal barrage.  He was slower, but each word carried its weight in the sentence.

3 of 3