4 of 4
Sirens are Unethical
Posted: 17 March 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6022
Joined  2009-02-26
garythehuman - 17 March 2011 02:14 PM

Try growing up next to a volunter firehall with the siren on the roof. shock

Of course if the fire is your own house or your nextdoor neighbor’s house, an early warning may seem beneficial. I still remember the noon and five o’clock sirens of the local lumber mill. Of course that problem was solved when they closed it.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 March 2011 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
Write4U - 17 March 2011 03:47 PM

Of course if the fire is your own house or your nextdoor neighbor’s house, an early warning may seem beneficial. I still remember the noon and five o’clock sirens of the local lumber mill. Of course that problem was solved when they closed it.

Actually, when my mothers house burned the fireman couldn’t find it.  They said quote “When the call came in for 32 xxxxxxx St.  We thought it was the firehouse itself.  No one was hurt so that was good for a laugh.  They were there in under a minute.

[ Edited: 22 March 2011 09:37 AM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 March 2011 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2010-08-15

Sirens don’t bug me near as much as coming on a scene where one person has collapsed and there are two ambulances, a fire department search & rescue vehicle and a cop car or two just to round off the picture.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 17 March 2011 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-10-09
citizenschallenge.pm - 17 March 2011 07:33 PM

Sirens don’t bug me near as much as coming on a scene where one person has collapsed and there are two ambulances, a fire department search & rescue vehicle and a cop car or two just to round off the picture.

I concur fully. That bothers me more than the sirens, but that is a more easily demonstrated wrong.

Signature 

My superiority complex is better than yours.

Posted: 17 March 2011 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  6022
Joined  2009-02-26
Stormy Fairweather - 17 March 2011 08:10 PM

I concur fully. That bothers me more than the sirens, but that is a more easily demonstrated wrong.

And would it not be a money savings investment to install a First Responder internetwork, so that all information is shared by all those services in real time?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 March 2011 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Apparently, the fire search and rescue vehicle contains equipment that may be needed and isn’t carried in an ambulance.  Quite often there is also a traffic problem so having policemen on the scene is helpful.  Finally, in many cities, the ambulances are run by private companies so they race to see who can get there first to pick up the person so they collect the fees from the insurance company.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 March 2011 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 18 March 2011 05:15 PM

Apparently, the fire search and rescue vehicle contains equipment that may be needed and isn’t carried in an ambulance.  Quite often there is also a traffic problem so having policemen on the scene is helpful.  Finally, in many cities, the ambulances are run by private companies so they race to see who can get there first to pick up the person so they collect the fees from the insurance company.

Occam

Can you think of anything more irritating than the voice of logic when tax dollars are at work.

But, still, I think they could get by with less   tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2011 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 18 March 2011 05:15 PM

Occam

In my area, most rescue squads and fire depts. are volunter, so we get this type of response on the weekends.  The volunters have to respond to x number of calls to maintain their active status for the year and qualify for the pension.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 22 March 2011 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
garythehuman - 22 March 2011 09:39 AM

In my area, most rescue squads and fire depts. are volunter, so we get this type of response on the weekends.  The volunters have to respond to x number of calls to maintain their active status for the year and qualify for the pension.

Well hell, if it’s a bunch of volunteers.  Cool.  Get together, shoot the breeze, wave at your neighbors as they drive by, and have heck of a good time critiquing the one poor schmuck who working the patient.  Ahh, it’s a good life.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

asanta, I’m just kidding, I actually have a speck of first hand experience and undying awe for EMS crews.  [~peace sign smilie~]

Signature 

4 of 4

‹‹ Aid for Japan.      Would you die for others? ››