2 of 2
Humanism Reading List
Posted: 26 April 2011 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-04-24
Gallant Skeptic - 16 April 2011 10:08 AM

Since my last post on this topic, I’ve run across Jonathan Miller’s Rough History of Disbelief.  Not only does it cover most of my questions from the original post, but it’s a very informative and enjoyable series as well.

I love this series.

Signature 

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them-that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
Lao-Tse

Posted: 26 April 2011 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-24

Has anyone read this book yet?

I heard about it on Easter - and have been thinking about it since. DGF & DBF ordered it for me! So I’ll get to read it in 5-7 business days… smile

Signature 

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them-that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
Lao-Tse

Posted: 26 April 2011 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2010-04-02
Vaika - 26 April 2011 08:48 PM

I heard about it on Easter - and have been thinking about it since. DGF & DBF ordered it for me! So I’ll get to read it in 5-7 business days… smile

Which book?

Signature 

Visit me @ http://www.gallantskeptic.com/

or you can follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/paulv76

Posted: 27 April 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-24
Gallant Skeptic - 26 April 2011 10:40 PM
Vaika - 26 April 2011 08:48 PM

Which book?

I linked it (click on “this” in the last post): http://www.amazon.com/Good-Book-Humanist-Bible/dp/0802717373 smile

Signature 

Lao-Tse

Posted: 07 August 2011 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2006-05-04
traveler - 28 March 2011 06:09 AM

You have already checked out Paul Kurtz’s works I presume.

I’ve found Kurtz’s writings undistinguished. His neologism “eupraxophy” never caught on, for example, even among humanists, much less his idea for calling humanist centers “eupraxotheques.”

In a couple of his books he also recounts how a humanist friend of his had a deathbed conversion to Catholicism, which just reinforces christian stereotypes about atheists.

Signature 

Mark Plus, Advanced Atheist
"There was a time before reason and science when my ancestors believed in all manner of nonsense." Narim on Stargate SG-1.

Posted: 07 August 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
AdvancedAtheist - 07 August 2011 09:55 AM
traveler - 28 March 2011 06:09 AM

You have already checked out Paul Kurtz’s works I presume.

I’ve found Kurtz’s writings undistinguished. His neologism “eupraxophy” never caught on, for example, even among humanists, much less his idea for calling humanist centers “eupraxotheques.”

In a couple of his books he also recounts how a humanist friend of his had a deathbed conversion to Catholicism, which just reinforces christian stereotypes about atheists.

I pretty much agree with that. The OP was looking for some “original” thinkers in the area. Kurtz was certainly one of them.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

2 of 2