Robert M. Price - The Reason Driven Life
Posted: 05 October 2006 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-09-21

I’m surprised that there has been no discussion of the Price interview. I am adding [i:a425bca304]The Reason Driven Life[/i:a425bca304] to my reading list and am wondering if anyone on this forum has read it and has any comments. Would you recommend giving this book to liberal or moderate christians, (provided they would even read it)?

Of course I still need to read the book myself but I really enjoyed this interview. I agree with much of what he says about believers although I am beginning to think that even believers we think are "harmless" have some very dangerous beliefs, such as "a new heaven and new earth".

Posted: 05 October 2006 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

I haven’t read his book yet, but I adore Bob Price.  I, along with many, have sat in his living room when he lived in New Jersey, enjoying lectures and conversations. 

His clear understanding of the Bible and Christianity are enlightening.  Even though I wasn’t raised xian (and am sure not one now!), I learned about his unique view of Jesus and Christianity.

Plus, he is a funny guy!

Posted: 05 October 2006 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

deleted by the author

Posted: 07 October 2006 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Finally got around to listening to it ... I’m always about a week behind with these things ...

rolleyes

Anyhow I also enjoyed it. Price came across as a very engaging guy, with a good sense of humor. I’ll definitely put his book on my (ever lengthening) list.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 October 2006 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-09

I just listened as well, while cleaning up the yard for the winter.  I got the biggest kick out of the discussion of the church’s need/desire to recruit new members.  Bob and DJ didn’t come right out and say it, but the obvious parallel is that its one giant MLM or Ponzi scheme.  I’d never really thought of it that way before…

Posted: 09 October 2006 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-03-08

I thought this was a great interview - it’s nice to hear some humor injected in these things every once in a while!  Bob Price was refreshing and amusing, and got a lot of head nods and snickers out of me, that’s for sure!

Now my dilemma is whether to forward this interview to my relatives, who are members of Rick Warren’s Saddleback megachurch, and avid proponents of his book, “The Purpose Driven Life”...  My general feeling has always been to avoid “literary confrontation” like that.  After all, I don’t want them sending their books my way, so why should I expect my books to convince them one way or the other?

Posted: 10 October 2006 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Try them

I was given a book by a fairly famous xian apologist by my devout friend. She wanted me to see how her faith impacts her life.  The book mostly was a rebuke of atheism, but I read it through.  Since I was better informed of her point of view (via the book), I was able to really pull apart the straw man arguments and show her the reality of the secular humanist life stance.

Go ahead, show Bob’s book to your friends and family.  Make them read it.  And read their books, too.  Remember, you have the stronger position since it is based on reason and discovery and facts.  They have only faith and belief.

You might turn a few!

Posted: 22 March 2007 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I recently download the podcast “Jesus the Failed Hypothesis”, but is this on still available too?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report