2 of 2
Royal to wed commoner
Posted: 07 May 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6133
Joined  2006-12-20
Eero T. Eloranta - 30 April 2011 03:13 AM

It’s a bit crazy in Finland too. Finnish people crying in front of television because “it’s so beautiful”...

As long as they don’t do it anywhere near me I don’t mind grin

I thought I’d insulated myself from the proceedings brilliantly and thought all was well, until I discovered that some idiot had decided to make the day of the royal wedding a bank holiday and none of my deliveries were coming!

Stephen

Posted: 09 May 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07

Wife buys all the magazines and watches every damn network news broadcast at least twice.

I had to both sit a minimum required number of minutes in front of the TV and feign interest at my wife’s account of how wonderful the event was.

Quite torturous, however there are some things a good husband simply must do.  smirk

Posted: 09 May 2011 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Gnostikosis - 09 May 2011 02:31 PM

Wife buys all the magazines and watches every damn network news broadcast at least twice.

I had to both sit a minimum required number of minutes in front of the TV and feign interest at my wife’s account of how wonderful the event was.

Quite torturous, however there are some things a good husband simply must do.  smirk

tongue wink I get that. I love my wife in part because she is very easy to talk to and reason with (she’s the smart one) but something about this just brings out the ‘girl’ in her.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 09 May 2011 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

tongue wink

traveler - 09 May 2011 02:56 PM
Gnostikosis - 09 May 2011 02:31 PM

tongue wink I get that. I love my wife in part because she is very easy to talk to and reason with (she’s the smart one) but something about this just brings out the ‘girl’ in her.

Is it because of Nature or Nuture? tongue rolleye

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 May 2011 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03
mid atlantic - 30 April 2011 11:01 PM
Eero T. Eloranta - 30 April 2011 10:30 PM
mid atlantic - 30 April 2011 04:19 AM

You are from Finland,thats interesting.Tervetuloa!!

Kiitoksia tervetulotoivotuksista. smile

Oman Tervetuloa Olen koskaa ollut suomeen,mutta se nayttaa mielenkiinfoinen.How is your situation in Finland with religion?I have heard its much less religious than here in the states.

I’m sorry I didn’t answer earlier. I was on holiday in Italy, France and Monaco so I had no time to visit the forum.

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to speak about religion in Finland but since you asked here’s a short introduction. Yes it’s pretty secular but you can not really understand the situation if you don’t keep in mind that we are a homogeneous nation of only about 5 million people. The main religions are Lutheran Church and the Greek Orthodox Church. They get along quite well. I’m an ex-lutheran myself. I don’t belong to any religious institution. The Lutheran church is endorsed by the government which makes it secular by nature. For a long time it has been bureaucratic and not so religious. We also are culturally people who endorse practical values and extremism is not natural to Finnish temperament. Religion is often seen as a personal thing to cherish in private. We usually don’t like people raving about such issues in public. These are just some of the reasons why our culture is secular in my opinion. And keep in mind that Northern Europe and Fennoscandia in particular is very very different from rest of the Europe. There is no such a thing as an “European” culture.

Posted: 11 May 2011 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
Eero T. Eloranta - 11 May 2011 11:31 PM
mid atlantic - 30 April 2011 11:01 PM
Eero T. Eloranta - 30 April 2011 10:30 PM
mid atlantic - 30 April 2011 04:19 AM

You are from Finland,thats interesting.Tervetuloa!!

Kiitoksia tervetulotoivotuksista. smile

Oman Tervetuloa Olen koskaa ollut suomeen,mutta se nayttaa mielenkiinfoinen.How is your situation in Finland with religion?I have heard its much less religious than here in the states.

I’m sorry I didn’t answer earlier. I was on holiday in Italy, France and Monaco so I had no time to visit the forum.

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to speak about religion in Finland but since you asked here’s a short introduction. Yes it’s pretty secular but you can not really understand the situation if you don’t keep in mind that we are a homogeneous nation of only about 5 million people. The main religions are Lutheran Church and the Greek Orthodox Church. They get along quite well. I’m an ex-lutheran myself. I don’t belong to any religious institution. The Lutheran church is endorsed by the government which makes it secular by nature. For a long time it has been bureaucratic and not so religious. We also are culturally people who endorse practical values and extremism is not natural to Finnish temperament. Religion is often seen as a personal thing to cherish in private. We usually don’t like people raving about such issues in public. These are just some of the reasons why our culture is secular in my opinion. And keep in mind that Northern Europe and Fennoscandia in particular is very very different from rest of the Europe. There is no such a thing as an “European” culture.

That is very different from the U.S.I have met some Finns before and they seemed very practical and level-headed.You have Sisu! smile I ask mainly out of an intrest in Finnish culture.Back on topic though,the royal hysteria is done with here.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 16 May 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I am sure most of you have gotten by now the Cinderella Fairy Tale Wedding picture in an email from a friend (most likely a female friend).

cinderella_royalwedding.jpg

Did you fall for it? Or did you put on your skeptic’s hat and googled the real Cinderella art?

cinderella.jpg

I was amazed to see that everybody I know believed it to be true and that some people (women grin ) were very disappointed when I told them it was photoshopped and showed them the real Cinderella who was a blonde.

Posted: 16 May 2011 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Pretty, in a way.  Sad, in a way.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

2 of 2