what is a soul mate?
Posted: 25 March 2011 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

The term is used by many couples and dear friends. It is more than a declaration of love and care, it is a merging of consciousness.
I have experienced this phenomena many times, not only with a mental compatibility, but in a total moral and abstract identification, and as musician, with complete harmonic complimentary synchronization of the instruments, each lifting the other.

I am sure everyone has had such an abstract recognition, an uncanny atunement to another person.

Why does this happen, and why only with some?

[ Edited: 25 March 2011 04:53 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 March 2011 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20

I probably can’t explain this very well, but in my experience, it seems to do with an ability to get in touch with one’s core. The buddhists talk about quieting the mind. When two or more people do this with each other at the same time, it is a very uplifting (dare I say “enlightening”?) experience.

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3796
Joined  2010-08-15

One with whom one harmonizes exceedingly well.

In olden times seems like folks made their marriage decisions, then had to focus on struggling to get on with life, so that harmonizing had a chance to develop to where the boundaries between mates actually blurred… at least where that foundation of love was present. 

Seems to me earlier decades you’d come across these life long couples that when one died, the partner would die in short order.  That sounds like a soul mate.  I doubt that happens much any more, at least in western society.

It seems like nowadays there is always too much happening, too many distractions (and predators), leaving too little opportunity for those kinds of devotions to develop.

but then I’m a romantic at heart

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 25 March 2011 04:26 AM

I have experienced this phenomena many times, not only with a mental compatibility, but in a total moral and abstract identification, and as musician, with complete harmonic complimentary synchronization of the instruments, each lifting the other.

ahh, yes.  I’m no musician but i am a listener and dancer and when the band get’s truly harmonic, music elevates to a genuinely holy sacrament… at least in my universe   smile

Those musicians can get my spirit dancing on vibrations of sound, sometimes breaking on through to the other side even…. don’t need no stinking guru, just a group of righteous musicians.

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 27 March 2011 10:13 PM

ahh, yes.  I’m no musician but i am a listener and dancer and when the band get’s truly harmonic, music elevates to a genuinely holy sacrament… at least in my universe   smile

Those musicians can get my spirit dancing on vibrations of sound, sometimes breaking on through to the other side even…. don’t need no stinking guru, just a group of righteous musicians.

I’m not sure if I posted this before somewhere, but one of the most beautiful jazz piano solos was by John Lewis (composer) on the original recording of Django, a tribute to Django Reinhardt. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z88Vc1oyvU

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 March 2011 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

A soul mate is a woman who can put up with my neuroticism and weirdness.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 May 2011 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

The term is used by many couples and dear friends. It is more than a declaration of love and care, it is a merging of consciousness.

I am sure everyone has had such an abstract recognition, an uncanny atunement to another person.

Why does this happen, and why only with some?

To me, this sounds confused. The bond between lovers as “soul mates” is much, much different from the bond between a musician and an audience. The latter basically involves hypnosis, or more plainly, just well-captured attention; whereas the former is much more complex.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 19 May 2011 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-07-28

I think it is recognizing in another person a general personality structure that your own ‘primary’ self could happily live inside. Put another way, that person is someone you would gladly be.

Posted: 19 May 2011 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2587
Joined  2011-04-24

It is nothing,only a soppy term for people to swoon about.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 20 May 2011 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
mid atlantic - 19 May 2011 06:41 PM

lol

Damn right!

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 20 May 2011 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I agree, almost. But I like people swooning about such terms to one-another. In that sense, it is something. We are emotional creatures - the good ones (emotions) are good and the bad ones need pruning.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 May 2011 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

soul mates ~ two folks who’s Pheromones harmonize

tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

hmmm, then again maybe that’s just being horny…

red face

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2008-01-23

What is a soul mate?

A cell mate from a previous life?

Posted: 20 May 2011 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2587
Joined  2011-04-24
traveler - 20 May 2011 07:04 AM

I agree, almost. But I like people swooning about such terms to one-another. In that sense, it is something. We are emotional creatures - the good ones (emotions) are good and the bad ones need pruning.

True enough about the emotional-ness of us crafty chimps,however it seems like these terms can set up a false or unreal standard for some people,and that can drive some individuals out of their minds.I believe its OK to be driven out of your mind sometimes,but some people seem to handle it better than others!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 20 May 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 20 May 2011 10:28 AM

True enough about the emotional-ness of us crafty chimps,however it seems like these terms can set up a false or unreal standard for some people,and that can drive some individuals out of their minds.I believe its OK to be driven out of your mind sometimes,but some people seem to handle it better than others!

True, some look at Barbie dolls and think, “What a crock o shit.” Others become anorexic.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)