stem cell triggers for new skin cell growth?
Posted: 27 March 2011 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26

Just saw an ad on tv that touted a new skin cream which “triggers” stem cells to renewed skin cell growth.

Possible? Are we that advanced already in stem cell research?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 March 2011 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Sounds like snake oil to me. If it truly ‘grew’ stem cells, it would be a prescription product. I don’t know how a cream would stimulate the body to produce skin cells rather than brain cells. I’m not even sure stem cells are hanging around on you face or arm anyway! How will they prevent a stem cell from growing a cancer? Which layer of skin cells are they supposed to grow, they all have different functions.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26
asanta - 27 March 2011 08:40 PM

Sounds like snake oil to me. If it truly ‘grew’ stem cells, it would be a prescription product. I don’t know how a cream would stimulate the body to produce skin cells rather than brain cells. I’m not even sure stem cells are hanging around on you face or arm anyway! How will they prevent a stem cell from growing a cancer? Which layer of skin cells are they supposed to grow, they all have different functions.

Apparently it is a skin cream, which rejuvinates and stimulates growth of new fresh skin cells.
Seemed like a bold claim to me also.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 March 2011 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Not that I’m aware of. From my understanding of the state of the art, it’s going to take more then skin cream to get stem cells to do our bidding. Until I see otherwise in peer reviewed medical studies and research/development projects, I’m going to file this one in the “Snake Oil” Folder.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 27 March 2011 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 27 March 2011 11:04 PM

Not that I’m aware of. From my understanding of the state of the art, it’s going to take more then skin cream to get stem cells to do our bidding. Until I see otherwise in peer reviewed medical studies and research/development projects, I’m going to file this one in the “Snake Oil” Folder.

I agree 100%

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 April 2011 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 27 March 2011 12:57 PM

Just saw an ad on tv that touted a new skin cream which “triggers” stem cells to renewed skin cell growth.

Sounds scary as hell.
Don’t people do any thinking?  Would you really want to salve your skin with stuff that triggers skin cell growth?  How much growth you want, perhaps a few colonies here and there with double, triple skin thickness, perhaps a ton of those little polyp things some folks have.  Jeez, it’s good the thing is a fraud.

Why does that short story the “The Monkey’s Paw” suddenly come to mind?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 07 April 2011 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Sounds scary as hell.

If it actually worked…and fortunately it doesn’t…it sounds a lot like a potant carcinogin. Not the sort of thing I’d want to be slathering on my skin!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

‹‹ Healing      Naked Juice ››