Judge Amanda Williams… when does justice devolve into self righteous sadism?
Posted: 27 March 2011 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

You know, I feel like a jaded character, a half century of an interesting life has tanned by skin fairly well. 
But, then something slaps me in the face and I realize how little I know. 

The horror of imagining this reality nearly made me vomit.

Tell me if this doesn’t go beyond the pale.
Glynn County Superior Court Judge Amanda Williams

PS.  We got all these examples of self-righteous flag wavers talking about their “Sanctity of Life” as they send troops off to money wasting, self-destructive follies, then turn around and feel all high and mighty and sanctimonious and proud about putting misguided kids, who want to do a little git-high and escape for a while, into cages.  WHY? 

Ira Glass reports on Judge Amanda Williams and the Glynn and Camden County drug courts.
430:  Very Tough Love ~ 3/25/11
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/430/very-tough-love

This week: A drug court program that we believe is run differently from every other drug court in the country, doing some things that are contrary to the very philosophy of drug court. The result? People with offenses that would get minimal or no sentences elsewhere sometimes end up in the system five to ten years.

Part One.
Ira reports from Glynn County Georgia on Superior Court Judge Amanda Williams and how she runs the drug courts in Glynn, Camden and Wayne counties. We hear the story of Lindsey Dills, who forges two checks on her parents’ checking account when she’s 17, one for $40 and one for $60, and ends up in drug court for five and a half years, including 14 months behind bars, and then she serves another five years after that—six months of it in Arrendale State Prison, the other four and a half on probation. The average drug court program in the U.S. lasts 15 months. But one main way that Judge Williams’ drug court is different from most is how punitive it is. Such long jail sentences are contrary to the philosophy of drug court, as well as the guidelines of the National Association of Drug Court Professionals. For violating drug court rules, Lindsey not only does jail terms of 51 days, 90 days and 104 days, Judge Williams sends her on what she calls an “indefinite sentence,” where she did not specify when Lindsey would get out. (30 minutes)

Part Two.
We hear about how Brandi Byrd and many other offenders end up in drug court, and we hear how one model drug court participant, Charlie McCullough, was treated by Judge Williams. (25 minutes)

Take their licenses and careers, but caging them in cells, when they’ve harmed no one?  What the F*#!!!! is this all about in The Land Of Freedom...  other than self-righteous sadism?

[ Edited: 29 March 2011 10:41 AM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 27 March 2011 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Actually for the podcast go to:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/sites/all/play_music/play_full.php?play=430&podcast=1
http://www.thisamericanlife.org

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2011 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7716
Joined  2008-04-11

I have that on my dock to listen to. Isn’t that illegal?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 March 2011 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 27 March 2011 09:03 PM

Nah, you live in California,
Now in Georgia, you might want to be careful who’s company you listen to it with.  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2011 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge.pm - 27 March 2011 09:23 PM
asanta - 27 March 2011 09:03 PM

Nah, you live in California,
Now in Georgia, you might want to be careful who’s company you listen to it with.  cheese

Silly, tongue wink I meant the Judge’s actions!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 27 March 2011 09:39 PM

Silly, tongue wink I meant the Judge’s actions!

LOL  LOL

But, you know in the last fifteen/ten minutes or so of the interview, Ira goes to a court house to verify that an alleged document exists.  The conversation is spooky as hell.  After polite but escalating threats, it sure does sound like he is being threatened with arrest if he asks one more question.

Sounds like one of those weird cases where someone somehow gathers so much clout and power and whatever that everyone kou tous.

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2011 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

That podcast made me cry. I am soooo close to Godwining her. What a horrid woman. I understand that she thinks what she is doing is best, but just as a parent who beats and bruises their truculent child, it is still wrong. sick

[ Edited: 28 March 2011 04:44 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-28

One thing this story failed to mention is that some of the outplacement programs being utilized by the Courts are unlicensed programs. Bridges of Hope, while a well-meaning “ministry”, is not a licensed treatment program in Georgia… and there are many others that operate without State licensure. They operate on the premise that they are a ministry and they are exempt from licensure under “separation of Church and State”. But if you consider that St. Joseph’s Hospital and the former Georgia Baptist Medical Center were both ministries of the Catholic Church and the Georgia Baptist Convention, respectively, yet they were required to have State licensure and accreditation to operate as hospitals; then why wouldn’t a ministry providing drug abuse treatment be required to be licensed to provide those services, as well. If the Drug Court utilized an unlicensed program then they: A) were condoning the operation of the illegal provision of treatment without licensure, or B) not fulfilling their own contract to provide treatment to the Defendant(s) in their Drug Court Program. Drug abuse treatment is a specialized industry that should be provided by competent and trained counselors, not glorified 12 Step sponsors acting as professionals, and certainly should be regulated under the State’s rules and regulations for the provision of such services. How could the Court justify sending their treatment participants to such programs?

Posted: 28 March 2011 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-28

Just saw this and thought I should share:

http://ImpeachJudgeWilliams.com

Posted: 28 March 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
nyustud - 28 March 2011 01:58 PM

Just saw this and thought I should share:

http://ImpeachJudgeWilliams.com

Thank you for that informative link.  There’s even a ‘what you can do’ page.
They’ve got another link to a YouTube video, that isn’t particularly informative, but if you like typography and aren’t familiar with “Kinetic Typography” you’ll get a kick out of it.
~ ~ ~
ACG thank you for posting that - something to think about - and a pet topic here at CFI separation of church and state.

Addiction Counselor in GA - 28 March 2011 01:43 PM

One thing this story failed to mention is that some of the outplacement programs being utilized by the Courts are unlicensed programs. Bridges of Hope, while a well-meaning “ministry”, is not a licensed treatment program in Georgia… and there are many others that operate without State licensure.
They operate on the premise that they are a ministry and they are exempt from licensure under “separation of Church and State”.

But if you consider that St. Joseph’s Hospital and the former Georgia Baptist Medical Center were both ministries of the Catholic Church and the Georgia Baptist Convention, respectively, yet they were required to have State licensure and accreditation to operate as hospitals; then why wouldn’t a ministry providing drug abuse treatment be required to be licensed to provide those services, as well.

If the Drug Court utilized an unlicensed program then they: A) were condoning the operation of the illegal provision of treatment without licensure, or B) not fulfilling their own contract to provide treatment to the Defendant(s) in their Drug Court Program. Drug abuse treatment is a specialized industry that should be provided by competent and trained counselors, not glorified 12 Step sponsors acting as professionals, and certainly should be regulated under the State’s rules and regulations for the provision of such services.

How could the Court justify sending their treatment participants to such programs?

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7815
Joined  2009-02-26

And there is the question of for-profit prisons. I wonder how many of those abominations are located in GA? If there are indeed for-profit prisons in GA, there is a question of motive for extended sentences for victimless crimes. This is beginning to sound like the middle ages.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U