Lawrence Krauss - Quantum Man
Posted: 28 March 2011 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Host: Chris Mooney

Physicist Lawrence Krauss has written numerous popular books about science, including the bestselling The Physics of Star Trek.

But now he’s tried something different—penning a scientific biography of the famed Nobel Prize winning physicist (and infamous bon vivant) Richard Feynman.

The resulting book, Quantum Man: Richard Feynman’s Life in Science, is a fascinating look at the scientific innovations of this larger-than-life figure—a man who also revolutionized physics teaching at Caltech, played a central role in investigating the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, and was notorious for hanging out in strip clubs and playing the bongos.

So Point of Inquiry reached Krauss to learn what writing this book was like, and what he learned about Feynman, and about physics at the very highest level, in the process.

Lawrence Krauss is an internationally known theoretical physicist and director of the Origins Project at Arizona State University. He’s published hundreds of scientific papers as well as numerous popular books, including The Physics of Star Trek, Fear of Physics, and The Fifth Essence.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/lawrence_krauss_quantum_man/

Posted: 29 March 2011 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2007-10-05

Great interview. Lawrence Krauss is an interesting man, and the ideal person to write a biography of Richard Feynman. Chris did an excellent job getting out of the way and letting Krauss talk. Well worth the time.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 March 2011 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-12-09
DarronS - 29 March 2011 08:02 AM

Great interview. Lawrence Krauss is an interesting man, and the ideal person to write a biography of Richard Feynman. Chris did an excellent job getting out of the way and letting Krauss talk. Well worth the time.

+1

Fine job, Chris!

Signature 

Brad

Posted: 31 March 2011 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

Already have the book before the article, and so far have enjoyed it. It’s the first book I have by Dr. Krauss, won’t be my last.

Posted: 01 April 2011 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2007-10-05

Shadowsot, you inspired me to download the book for my iPod touch yesterday. I’m almost halfway through it right now. It is not only a very good biography, it is an very good lesson in quantum physics and how Feynman solved some perplexing problems. I’ve read several of Feynman’s books, but this tome by Krauss is giving me a deeper respect not only for the man’s intellect, but for his determination to figure out how the quantum world works.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 May 2011 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2011-04-11

I’ve followed Kraus’ comments in NewScientist over the decades and was invariably impressed by his wit and wisdom.  Thanks, Chris.  Great interview.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
The phrase “False Prophet” is redundant.  Cleanliness is next to… nothing.
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 23 July 2011 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-07-23
Trail Rider - 30 March 2011 09:44 AM
DarronS - 29 March 2011 08:02 AM

+1

Fine job, Chris!

I agree with you.

Posted: 23 July 2011 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 01 April 2011 06:43 PM

Shadowsot, you inspired me to download the book for my iPod touch yesterday. I’m almost halfway through it right now. It is not only a very good biography, it is an very good lesson in quantum physics and how Feynman solved some perplexing problems. I’ve read several of Feynman’s books, but this tome by Krauss is giving me a deeper respect not only for the man’s intellect, but for his determination to figure out how the quantum world works.

Could you or Shadowsot tell me if there are many pictures/diagrams in the book on Feynman? I’m thinking of downloading the Kindle edition. THANKS!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 23 July 2011 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-23

@Sr. Member: I have tried to search but nothing can find there. Sorry.

Posted: 23 July 2011 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
FATeam - 23 July 2011 06:29 AM

@Sr. Member: I have tried to search but nothing can find there. Sorry.

Hi FATeam, I know you are new here. I want to help you understand that “Sr. Member” simply indicates a lot of posts - it is not an identifier. The identifiers are the names you see like “Traveler,” or “DarronS”. Cheers!  wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 23 July 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-23

Haha, I just copy a wrong text, sorry hihi.