2 of 2
George Lakoff - Enlightenments, Old and New
Posted: 29 June 2011 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-29

I think this is a fascinating possibility, but I’m having trouble reversing his logic and making it stick.  Maybe that’s because I had a pretty unusual childhood.  The same goes for my mother.  I was raised in a very nurturing (and also totally apolitical) household, but it was still religiously very strict where the father absolutely was the head of the household, and we did receive corporal punishment.  At no time did I feel unloved, in fact exactly the opposite (not that I’m suggesting children in strict households aren’t loved).  But I turned out to be extremely liberal (more so than most people I know), and I’m having trouble reconciling how my strict religious upbringing did or did not influence my political worldview.  Another example that isn’t working for me - my mother was raised in a very abusive and chaotic home, and never felt loved by her parents, but also turned out extremely liberal.  I’m just curious what Lakoff’s explanation for these incidents might be based on this research and theory.  Any ideas?

2 of 2