Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-04-27

OK

[ Edited: 28 April 2011 09:04 AM by OGMONKEY ]

Posted: 27 April 2011 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

You may want to look for other forum websites, OGMONKEY.  I doubt that you’ll find any of the members here who think along the lines you do so they almost certainly won’t be able to help you.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I always said I have to see to believe.

What you think you see and experience is not always what you really get. This afternoon, I had some fairly vivid memories of being pinned down to my bed by somebody when in fact I was alone. The only ones sharing my bed with me were two of my cats.

Seeing or even experiencing something doesn’t always justify a belief in something.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 29 April 2011 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-27

I’m new here and had chose the wrong stone.  shock I’m a skeptic myself but have all kinds of odd things happen.  Since I was young.  I’m not here to get told I have a “disorder.”  Now that I know what I’m dealing with It’s time to judge. 

Let me ask something.  Last I heard the average person uses like 4-5% of their brain(told in HS) I think.  WHY is that around the same % as space we can only see?  Dark matter is around the same % as brain we do not use.  So does using more of your brain actually open doors you wish you knew you had?  Is it possible that there is more to see that meets the eye?  oh oh Strange to wonder if there are other levels,frequencies or vibrations we have access to.  I know most of you believe in frequencies.  Skeptic or not. 

I will continue to post some stories and would like reactions.  Avoid taking the leap though.  Can be quite scary if you’re not prepared.  Good day to all that will take the time to talk rather than make themselves tiny compared to me.  I’m skeptic about my own experiences but I have had them not you.  A crazy man does not know he’s crazy. Nor does he talk to himself but only asks himself questions.

In order to not exist….it MUST           That’s the way I look at it.

Posted: 29 April 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
OGMONKEY - 29 April 2011 11:07 AM

Last I heard the average person uses like 4-5% of their brain(told in HS) I think.

No. We use 100% of our brain. Brain uses about 20% of the total body energy and it would be a waste to get only 5% of efficiency out of it. Natural selection would never allow it.

Posted: 29 April 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-27
George - 29 April 2011 11:56 AM

Last I heard the average person uses like 4-5% of their brain(told in HS) I think.

No. We use 100% of our brain. Brain uses about 20% of the total body energy and it would be a waste to get only 5% of efficiency out of it. Natural selection would never allow it.

Wow.. So school is wrong again.  Really is public school even worth it?
I have a 9 year old we live in Las Vegas now(with regret) and have noticed that the"PEOPLE” here in this area influenced her language and attitude which is normal.  I see that she does not get the proper help at school.  I help her here at home and see that she doesn’t not know much until I show her how.  So why was I told the wrong info in school?  I’m only 29.  Books changed since or was I given False positive info??  I had to throw that in.  smile

Posted: 29 April 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, the 5% use of our brain (more often one hears 10%) is a popular myth, usually credited to Einstein. No idea why or how it originated. Sounds very Deepak-Choprish though.

Posted: 29 April 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-27
George - 29 April 2011 12:30 PM

Well, the 5% use of our brain (more often one hears 10%) is a popular myth, usually credited to Einstein. No idea why or how it originated. Sounds very Deepak-Choprish though.

I lost you on that last sentence.  Explain please. TY

Posted: 29 April 2011 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Deepak Chopra is a kook who got rich selling woo-woo. He is an expert on neurobabble.

Posted: 29 April 2011 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

OGMONKEY,

If you’re interested to read a fun book on our brain, check out Carl Sagan’s The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence. I read it a long time ago but I remember I really enjoyed it. I bet Sagan could help you to find answers to many of your questions.

Posted: 29 April 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-27
George - 29 April 2011 01:13 PM

OGMONKEY,

If you’re interested to read a fun book on our brain, check out Carl Sagan’s The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence. I read it a long time ago but I remember I really enjoyed it. I bet Sagan could help you to find answers to many of your questions.

Will do.

Posted: 29 April 2011 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

According to wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%_of_brain_myth]:

the 10% myth most likely arose from a misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of neurological research in the late 19th century or early 20th century when researchers discovered that only about 10% of neurons in the brain are firing at any time or announced that they had only mapped the functions of 10% of the brain at that time (accounts differ).

I do not see a source for this claim, although this is what I heard the origin was as well, from a separate source.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 29 April 2011 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

You might want to spend 45 minutes watching Brian Dunning’s excellent production; Here Be Dragons
http://herebedragonsmovie.com/

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 April 2011 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
George - 29 April 2011 12:30 PM

It’s weird, because we’re also supposed to lose most of our body heat through our head (also a myth). Life has been very confusing for humans for a long time, though.

Personally, I’ll stick to my Mom’s wisdom, that if I swallow my bubblegum, one day I’ll fart, blow a huge bubble, and fly away. It works on paper.

C

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 15 May 2011 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 29 April 2011 11:56 AM

It just occurred to me that any quantification of brain usage does not address the capacity of the brain to grow new synapses and thereby expanding the capacity of the brain to hold and process information.

One could say that Einstein used 100% of his brain but that this constituted only 10% of the brain’s ability to expand. By that reasoning to say that average persons, while using 100% of their brains, only use 5% of their brain’s capacity to expand might be correct in that context.

Thats why IMO, it would be impossible to instantly transfer vast amounts of information to the brain as it takes time for new synapses to grow and store all this information. The brain is not a fixed HD (as in computers), but a growing and expanding organ restricted only by the size of the cranium itself. Fortunately, there seems to be sufficient space in the cranium to allow for growth of new synapses within the alotted space.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 May 2011 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No idea what you’re trying to say here, Write4U. But I am exhausted after the weekend and so it could be my fault. I’ll read it again tomorrow.

1 of 2