2 of 2
New here and SEEKING info (Merged)
Posted: 15 May 2011 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Since OGM’s last post was 4/29 and his first post was edited to say just “OK”, I think he’s left the forum.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 May 2011 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  6135
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 15 May 2011 05:30 PM

No idea what you’re trying to say here, Write4U. But I am exhausted after the weekend and so it could be my fault. I’ll read it again tomorrow.

First I am not talking about IQ, but physical growth (although they may be related).

Let me try to offer a comparison.
I have 4 viable seeds from a plant that has the ability (growth potential) to reach a height of say, 4 feet.
I plant these:
Seed 1 in rich soil with optimum light and moisture.
Seed 2 in rich soil with poor light and low moisture.
Seed 3 in poor soil with optimum light and moisture.
Seed4 in poor soil with poor light and low moisture.

When we observe the results at maturity:
Seed 1 (100% mature) yields a plant of 4 feet, lush with leaves.  100% usage of growth potential according to ability.
Seed 2 (100% mature) yields a plant of 3 feet, still lush with leaves. 75% usage of growth potential according to ability.
Seed 3 (100% mature) yields a plant of 2 feet, skinny and lacking.  50% usage of growth potential according to ability.
Seed 4 (100% mature) yields a plant of 1 foot, thin and weak.      25% usage of growth potential according to ability.

In this case the environment had a distinct effect on the usage/expression of each seed’s growth potential, which was the same in each seed, but resulted in very different growth outcomes.
I believe we can draw a general comparison with growth potential and the environmental effects on the actual growth at maturity of the brain with the example of the plants.

Thus Einstein used 100% of his developed (matured) brain, but was that the full usage of the potential growth capacity of the human brain? If the potential of synapse growth in an average size cranium is ten times the actual growth development in Einstein’s brain (folding capacity), then one might say that while Einstain used 100% of his developed brain, he only used 10% actual synapse growth of its full potential and physical ability to grow synapses.

[ Edited: 15 May 2011 08:07 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 May 2011 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 15 May 2011 05:56 PM

Since OGM’s last post was 4/29 and his first post was edited to say just “OK”, I think he’s left the forum.

Occam

Thanks Occam,

If George thinks there may general interest in the direction this discussion is taking, perhaps we can transfer this thread to a new thread and topic name “Maximum synapse growth potential” (and the effect of environment on development of this potential)

it might lead to spirited discussion…. cheese

[ Edited: 15 May 2011 08:18 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 May 2011 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I see—kind of…

Hmm, why would you speculate though that Einstein only developed 10% of his potential synapse growth? Plus, even a plant which due to environmental conditions will only be allowed to grow one foot will “try its best” to grow as tall as possible. It will use 100% of its given ability to do as good as possible. Our (and the plants’) potential is not only dictated by our genes but by the interaction of environment and the genes.

Posted: 16 May 2011 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 16 May 2011 06:47 AM

I see—kind of…

Hmm, why would you speculate though that Einstein only developed 10% of his potential synapse growth? Plus, even a plant which due to environmental conditions will only be allowed to grow one foot will “try its best” to grow as tall as possible. It will use 100% of its given ability to do as good as possible. Our (and the plants’) potential is not only dictated by our genes but by the interaction of environment and the genes.

We agree then that (everything being equal as in the plant seeds) available growth tools provided by environment do have an effect on the ability of the plant to reach its full growth potential.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 16 May 2011 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t know if I can agree with that since plants and animals were designed predominately to reproduce and not to achieve some full growth potential, be it height or intelligence. Frankly, Write4U, I am not sure what it is we are actually discussing here. Maybe we should just let it be…

Posted: 16 May 2011 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 16 May 2011 06:13 PM

I don’t know if I can agree with that since plants and animals were designed predominately to reproduce and not to achieve some full growth potential, be it height or intelligence. Frankly, Write4U, I am not sure what it is we are actually discussing here. Maybe we should just let it be…

If you like. I think we have a partial agreement on this specific example.

Signature 

W4U

2 of 2