hihi^^
Posted: 12 October 2006 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-12

Hi, I’ve been an atheist for a couple of years, and I want to join the forum ^^

I live in Utah in the suburbs outside of Salt Lake City, but my parents aren’t mainstream Mormons, they’re polygamists (namely Allred Groupies, although I guess it’s LaMoine Groupies now? The old man finally keeled over raspberry ). I guess there wasn’t really one single point at which I could say that I "became" one, but a couple of years ago was when I officially came out and stopped going to church and stuff.

Both my parents are converts, so they’re a *tinge* more liberal than some of the others at the group (although still far right of even the more conservative mainstreams Mormons on most issues). I really like a lot of Sam Harris’s talks, because everyone else seems to miss all the damage that moderates do by teaching people that their holy books are divinely inspired, even though they don’t teach the more nasty stuff at church. Sooner or later, someone’s gonna actually believe it, and they’re gonna realize that the following statement is true!

God > Preacher

So anyways, hi to everyone, I hope I don’t get bored of this forum! I always get bored of things and move on, but I’m gonna really try not to with this one, because I’ve lurked around a little bit, and I really like a lot of the people on here.

Posted: 13 October 2006 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Hey, welcome SeculiTerminus. Great to have someone from Utah around here ... arguably the most religious state in the Union ... how does it seem to you?

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 October 2006 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-12

well, I haven’t lived anywhere else before, so I don’t have a great frame of reference, but it seems to me maybe a little more religious than other places, but mostly just more conservative.

There aren’t too many atheist organizations here, though… I’ve only been able to track down two of them, and they both only have one small meeting a month and they’re all like grownups. *sigh*

Posted: 14 October 2006 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“SeculiTerminus”]There aren’t too many atheist organizations here, though… I’ve only been able to track down two of them, and they both only have one small meeting a month and they’re all like grownups. *sigh*

LOL  LOL

It happens!

You might want to read about and/or contact the CFI’s campus organizers. They might know some younger groups close to where you are, or suggest alternatives. (Maybe other folks from Utah are around the forum too?)

Anyhow you can check out the CFI campus stuff by clicking here .

And, of course, stay around the forum!

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 October 2006 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Welcome ST, good luck in your search for like thinkers.
J

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 17 October 2006 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Welcome to Cfi! Are you in College or High School?

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 03 December 2006 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-12

Oh, sorry it’s taken me so long to reply! One of my brothers recently got Final Fantasy 12, so I’ve been a little busy lately… smile

theatheistheretic: Actually, I’m in neither atm. College is really expensive, and it looks right now that it’s more likely that I’d be supporting my parents through college rather than the other way around, so I’m working hard at a part-time job while working on a novel - I’m not too bad at writing, so maybe that’s something I can do instead.

Posted: 15 December 2006 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2002-09-09

There was a campus group at the University of Utah for a few years, but they no longer exist.  There have been interested students at several different universities and colleges in Utah (including Brigham Young!), but often they found it a stiff uphill battle trying to get a group going.

You might have success using meetup.com to find some like-minded people who might be closer to you in age.  Good luck!  smile

Debbie