1 of 10
Osama Bin Laden 1957-2011 (Merged)
Posted: 01 May 2011 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I thought that civil engineers were supposed to help build civilization, not destroy it.  Keep your eyes peeled everyone, stay safe from the retaliations that might come.  What a gruesome, grisley, awful, ending to an terrible life of violence.

Britannica: Osama bin Laden

r145993_512243.jpg

[ Edited: 12 May 2011 08:21 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Don’t make this post so obvious Jitp. I know at least one guy on this forum will get greatly offended that his glorious leader had died and get on another one of his “everyone is an Islamiphobe” kicks again.

Posted: 02 May 2011 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Oh? I’ve seen some Muslims on here, but none that mentioned support for Obama, unless I missed something huge.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-04-20

I hope this is true.

“CNN reports that the operation, conducted by Navy SEALs, took 40 minutes and was initiated by helicopter.”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/01/972039/-Breaking:-Osama-bin-Laden-is-DEAD,-the-US-has-his-body

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Good riddance to the most notorious terrorist of all time.

[ Edited: 02 May 2011 07:35 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 May 2011 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Yep, good riddance.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 May 2011 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

How come bin Laden was living for the past six years right next to Pakistan Military Academy? This whole thing is just too weird.

Posted: 02 May 2011 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
George - 02 May 2011 07:41 AM

How come bin Laden was living for the past six years right next to Pakistan Military Academy? This whole thing is just too weird.

That’s simple
The Bush/Cheney Doctrine

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 02 May 2011 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

It’s for folks like them that I sometimes wish I could believe in hell.
and though I don’t believe it, it feels good saying it…

May OBL and his aforementioned boosters rot in hell.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

I never would have thought Obama would have the balls to order the strike.  But I was wrong.  Good for Obama!  Thanks Obama!  Good for the world!  Great job SEAL Team!  Thanks SEAL Team!

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 02 May 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Hmmm.  Is this a case of capital punishment as has been discussed in another thread?  What would have been the difference if they had been able to capture him alive and either put him in Guantanimo for life or tried him before the International Court?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 May 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Probably because Bin Laden had a lot of supporters in Pakistan, including within the military. That certainly explains why the Obama Administration wisely declined to let them in on this until after this operation was a done deal.

Of course, now they’re saying that the Pakistani’s were involved on some level, and a few may well have been, but I suspect that this bit of spin doctoring is designed to help the Pakistani government avoid losing face. It’s one of those little white lies designed to smooth over the ruffled feathers.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 02 May 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Well the way that some journalists report the story, they make Osama sound like a pure evil walking, talking, and living snake demon!  Was he a man, or was he really a walking and talking demon on Earth?  Let’s be real people.

In a democracy we pursue justice… what is the case against Osama, what is the evidence, was this an assasination or was this a just capure attempt gone wrong.  The theaters of war are Iraq and Afghanistan, now-a-days remember.  Why aren’t all the journalist reporting along those democratic lines, rather than a sporting event chant of “USA, USA, USA!”?  I mean fun is fun, but Al Queida is a serious issue.  I thought that we were supposed to be fighting against extremists, not mimicking them.

Huffington has a nice history of him: Osama Bin Laden Dead: The Rise, Fall And Legacy Of America’s Most Wanted Terrorist

[ Edited: 02 May 2011 12:07 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
jump_in_the_pit - 02 May 2011 11:12 AM

Osama sound like a pure evil walking, talking, and living snake demon!  Was he a man, or was he really a walking and talking demon on Earth?  Let’s be real people.

I don’t know Jump ~ I like being as groovy as anyone and believe in blind justice, compassion and all that. . .
But, the last thing America, or the world, needed was Bin Laden behind bars with month’s perhaps years worth of the trial/media circus.  What monstrosities that would have spawned.

Who cares if he was evil incarnate or just another vicious bastard at the right and place, with a lovable soft side if you only took the time to get to know him*?  ... how much more damage would u want to allow him to inflict?

Why not chop some of the heads off the truly guilty rather than just continuing to send in the peons to make hamburger of each other and their city/landscapes?  ... how is that better?

Like I was sorely disappointed hearing that the attempt to get Gaddafi missed him.  So instead more thousands of truly innocent people will continue to be added to the suffer as that bloody mess continues to drag on.

PS. Are you saying Bin Laden may have been innocent of masterminding, or directing the masterminds, that committed the 9/11 attacks?

* Incidentally, I don’t doubt that he had a genuinely decent side… {heck I’d be a liar if I denied some of his utterances made more sense than anything that ever came out of Bush/Cheney} but tough shit, his deeds, their blowback and humanity’s irretrievable setback ...  forfeited all those considerations.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

PS. I sure wished you’d take down that picture,
I’m sick of seeing it first thing opening this thread.

That sort of display is for a loved one, that you want to remember.

{Hey maybe you could let DM post a more appropriate pic, I’m sure he could find something precious}

[ Edited: 02 May 2011 01:01 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2010-02-20

Almost sad to say, note I wrote almost, that the news of OBL’s death brought a smile smile to my face.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

1 of 10