2 of 10
Osama Bin Laden 1957-2011 (Merged)
Posted: 02 May 2011 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Another poor little rich kid that couldn’t get his own way bites the dust. cool mad

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 02 May 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Interesting note from the picture.  His watch is on his right wrist.  This is usually done by left-handers.  I’m not suggesting anything about ethics, but it does put him in the company of Obama, McCain, and Clinton.  Oh yes, and me.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4298
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 02 May 2011 05:50 PM

Interesting note from the picture.  His watch is on his right wrist.  This is usually done by left-handers.  I’m not suggesting anything about ethics, but it does put him in the company of Obama, McCain, and Clinton.  Oh yes, and me.  LOL

Occam

heck, I heard something like a third of all US presidents were lefties, someone wrote a paper on it, a while back.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

As an atheist, I don’t care that Bin Laden isn’t rotting or burning in hell.  (Is it possible to both rot and burn in hell at the same time?)  He’s dead.  That’s good enough for me.

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Jump, heard an interview this evening that got me to thinking about your posts, it was with Lawrence Wright

For the past 15 years, Wright has spent his career thinking about bin Laden and al-Qaida. He interviewed more than 500 people, including friends and relatives of bin Laden, for his Pulitzer Prize-winning book,
The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road of 9/11.
Lawrence Wright: Bin Laden’s Death ‘Long In Coming’
May 2, 2011 ~ Fresh Air from WHYY

He presented a most interesting scenario if we captured him alive:
  not take him to America, instead following his trail of crimes beginning…

Lawrence Wright: Bin Laden’s Death ‘Long In Coming’
May 2, 2011

And if you catch him, don’t kill him because he’ll become a martyr, which is what he seeks to be. But don’t take him to America just yet.

First of all, take him to Kenya, where on August 6, 1998, he set off a bomb in front of an American embassy, killing 224 people and wounding, blinding 150 Africans. Let him sit in a courtroom in Nairobi and tell 150 blind Africans that he was just striking at a symbol of American power.

And then you can take him to Tanzania,... killing 11 people, all of them Muslims. And bin Laden excused that because it was Friday, and good Muslims would be in the mosque…

I think that would be a wonderful venue to talk about what a good Muslim actually is. And then you could bring him to America…

But you don’t have to stop there…, Casablanca, Madrid, London, Bali…

But just take him one last place. Take him home and try him under Sharia law, which is the only law that he and his followers would respect…  ending in the town square beheaded by Sharia Law…

But, of course that wouldn’t have worked in our real world for any number of reasons… however sure is a commendable idea.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What’s done is done,
and a big HOOAH to the actual Navy Seals and Blackhawk pilots who did the real work, yea, yea even this tree hugging, anti corporate/military-machine guy can appreciate a job well done!
sounds like they did the dirty work, while sparing most of the women and children who were around him.  Leaving them be, as they withdrew with their quarry and causalities.

So why the hell didn’t Mr. W the cocktail jet flier have done this nine years ago???
Would have saved our nation and the world a while lot of unnecessary grief… and it ain’t over yet…
the beat goes on…

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24

To be honest, I’m disappointed they didn’t get him alive. Solitary confinement with full SAMS restriction is a punishment worse than death. He got off too easy.

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
brightfut - 02 May 2011 06:38 PM

As an atheist, I don’t care that Bin Laden isn’t rotting or burning in hell.  (Is it possible to both rot and burn in hell at the same time?)  He’s dead.  That’s good enough for me.

yea, yea you’re right, it’s just the thought of them actually tasting some of the horror they so glibly doweled out.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2011 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I saw Brian Williams of WNBC taking it far saying that the wars in the Mid-East are partly for revenge, what about the fight for peace or justice Brian, are you opposed to that fight?  Justice is the opposite of revenge, retribution has no end and no peace. 

The picture at the start of this thread shows a man I hate, hate because of his violence, injustice, and destruction, a picture of what we civilized people are supposed to oppose.  I’m relieved of my hatred now that he’s gone, his violence is over and so now my hatred is too.  And with all the celebration in the USA over his death, the pictures of the USA look more like the Gladiator blood fights of Colosseum in ancient Rome, than a modern democracy.  I’m more saddened by that than relieved over Bin Laden’s death.  At least its only the college crowd and the sports crowd, as far as I’ve seen.  Why can’t the efforts in the Mid-East be about empowering the moderates, in opposition to the extremists, that’s who peace and justice come from?

Well, as a humanist I sure don’t believe in any walking talking demons on Earth, just humans. 

The assassination talk… that is some very dirty business to talk about, look at what is happening in Afghanistan Candidate Haji Abdul Manan was killed last September, and that’s not all.  People sure like the big talk at times like these, but are they really ready for the costs?

So the Seals have killed Bin Laden, really does that help to pacify the Mid-East, strategically what is his life really worth?  Since 9/11/2001 he’s made a few videos, what do they matter really?  And what are the costs, if the retaliations kill one-thousand civilians and soldiers would that be worth it?  What if they kill five-hundred, or one-hundred, or fifty, or two?  I suppose that if no more are killed then Bin Laden’s death will be worthwhile, and I sure hope that no more get killed, that would be wonderful grin, but we all know that this isn’t the end.  Justice is a struggle, it requires focus, and persistence.

And can DNA testing be done in less than two days? 

On a light-hearted note, if Bin Laden is a lefty, well that explains everything.  smile  Those lefties are always rocking the boat.  And good for them, except for Bin Laden of course.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 03 May 2011 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4521
Joined  2007-08-31
Occam. - 02 May 2011 10:40 AM

Is this a case of capital punishment as has been discussed in another thread?

Yes, it is. I am not glad that somebody was killed. But capture him might have had other worse consequences. Maybe it was the most reasonable solution. But glad? No.

And me!

[ Edited: 03 May 2011 12:44 AM by GdB ]
 Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 03 May 2011 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

I disagree this is a case of capital punishment as discussed in another thread. This is a case of wartime action, and the ethics are different in war. I’ve read the Navy Seals on the operation were under orders to take Bin Laden alive if possible, but to not unnecessarily endanger themselves to keep him alive. Bin Laden was firing upon them and one of the Seals killed him. I am not going to celebrate his death, but neither will I mourn him. The man caused much suffering and the world is better off without him.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 03 May 2011 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I agree with GdB. As I was watching Jon Stewart last night I found his joking about bin Laden’s death distasteful—I had to turn it off. As far as I can tell there is nothing funny about anybody getting killed. So again, I feel it was wrong but in this case it seemed like the logical thing to do.

Posted: 03 May 2011 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

I’ve been noticing the interviews with various survivors and families of survivors. None that I have seen has interviewed any of the Moslem survivors.  I think the media is missing an opportunity to expose bin Laden and his ilk as nothing more than extremely violent anti-human crazies rather than defenders of any group of normal humans, religious or otherwise.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 May 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20

Occam

In Islam the left hand is the “dirty” hand and is used for toilet purposes, thus the watch on the right wrist.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 03 May 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
GdB - 03 May 2011 12:42 AM
Occam. - 02 May 2011 10:40 AM

Is this a case of capital punishment as has been discussed in another thread?

Yes, it is. I am not glad that somebody was killed.

False conclusion. Just because someone can be in favor of capital punishment doesn’t mean they are “glad” when someone gets the axe.

And, no this is not capital punishment.

This is forcibly resisting arrest, or more probably what just happens in war: a battle.

Let’s stop making bad comparisons.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 03 May 2011 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting TeachScience:

In Islam the left hand is the “dirty” hand and is used for toilet purposes, thus the watch on the right wrist.

Good point, TeachScience.  I should have remembered that.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

2 of 10