3 of 10
Osama Bin Laden 1957-2011 (Merged)
Posted: 03 May 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2010-10-14

The only changes I can see from OBL’s death is;

Obama has his 4 years now
Doesn’t change the geopolitical situation…if anything it will make any Al-Qaeda more determined and possibly make attacks even more frequent.
Perhaps OBL will now be viewed as a martyr…
American’s will forget about their countries current economic woes even for a brief period.

Really though the biggest change is Obama has pretty much guaranteed himself another term in office…

Signature 

As I look back on my life, If I could have the glorious moment
The wondrous opportunity to comprehend
The chance to see my younger self
One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 03 May 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

Whenever atheists try to explain where “meaning” comes from in life since they don’t believe it comes from God, they say that humans “create their own meaning.”  If humans feel glad and feel joy over the death of a proven terrorist then why is that necessarily bad?  People are denying their own feelings when they pretend they aren’t happy to see him dead.

Posted: 03 May 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

It is not “necessarily bad.” Moral realism is nonsense. You are happy, I am not: There is nothing else to it.

Posted: 03 May 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
Occam. - 03 May 2011 11:49 AM

Quoting TeachScience:

In Islam the left hand is the “dirty” hand and is used for toilet purposes, thus the watch on the right wrist.

Good point, TeachScience.  I should have remembered that.

Occam

Maybe this question is inappropriate, but I’ll ask it anyway. What hand do you think Muslims use to set off the explosives strapped around their bodies? I’m guessing the dirty hand.

Posted: 03 May 2011 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2008-02-25
George - 03 May 2011 01:06 PM

It is not “necessarily bad.” Moral realism is nonsense. You are happy, I am not: There is nothing else to it.

A proven mass murderer, terrorist has been killed violently resisting arrest.  He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and yet he chose to become a terrorist.  No rationalization of his acts as an adult can be made from a “deprived childhood.”  More thousands of lives have been lost trying to bring this guy and his organization to justice to prevent them from killing more innocent people.  SHOULD you be happy?

Posted: 03 May 2011 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
brightfut - 03 May 2011 12:45 PM

Whenever atheists try to explain where “meaning” comes from in life since they don’t believe it comes from God, they say that humans “create their own meaning.”  If humans feel glad and feel joy over the death of a proven terrorist then why is that necessarily bad?  People are denying their own feelings when they pretend they aren’t happy to see him dead.

I agree.  I once had a discussion with a person who claimed they hated no one because Jesus said they shouldn’t hate.  I took the easy way out and resorted to Hitler and simply asked, “Do you hate Hitler?”  He paused for a long time, and then said, “Well I never knew him so I can’t say.”  As if, once you meet ole Adolf you come away saying, “You know, he’s not that bad of a guy!” grin 

I know of at least one Christian acquaintance who is saying no death, not even bin Laden’s, should ever be celebrated.  I completely disagree.  In fact, I might just get some champaign and celebrate this weekend!  The world is better off without bin Laden in it.  And the incredibly long time between his act of war on the U.S. and the bullet that entered his skull actually helps out.  It sends a powerful message to the Islamofascists of the world.  Now they know that no amount of time, distance or protection by a state-power can get in the way of bringing people like bin Laden to justice.  I hope this helps the pro-freedom movements going on the the Middle East.  I don’t think it can hurt.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 03 May 2011 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2010-10-14
Rocinante - 03 May 2011 03:00 PM

the bullet that entered his skull actually helps out.  It sends a powerful message to the Islamofascists of the world.  Now they know that no amount of time, distance or protection by a state-power can get in the way of bringing people like bin Laden to justice.  I hope this helps the pro-freedom movements going on the the Middle East.  I don’t think it can hurt.

It’s not possible to kill an ideal with a bullet…

Look at al Qaeda like Mcdonalds, they are a franchise and an extremely loose one at that. They provide funding and technical support but their strength comes from their partnerships with hundreds of terrorist cells, each with its own manifesto and goals. If you were to have a grand conference of terrorists, none of them would agree on any overarching goal and would probably fight eachother seeing as most of them are aimed at enacting localized change.

Signature 

As I look back on my life, If I could have the glorious moment
The wondrous opportunity to comprehend
The chance to see my younger self
One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 03 May 2011 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 03 May 2011 01:40 PM

Maybe this question is inappropriate, but I’ll ask it anyway. What hand do you think Muslims use to set off the explosives strapped around their bodies? I’m guessing the dirty hand.

Since they are ‘fighting for god’, and their 70 virgins, my guess would be that it would be their right hand…  shut eye

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 May 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Affluenza - 03 May 2011 04:24 PM

It’s not possible to kill an ideal with a bullet…

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant “idea” and not “ideal”! grin 

Sitting back and not doing anything to bring bin Laden to justice after 9/11 would have caused Islamofascists to continue their attacks on us Western Infidels. 

Going after bin Laden and killing him after 9/11 is now claimed by some to cause Islamorascists to continue their attacks on us Western Infidels. 

So it’s damned if we do and damned if we don’t.  Well, at least with this current situation bin Laden is dead.  And that’s a positive.  It’s been shown he is not untouchable.  Allah didn’t protect him from the Western Infidels.  That may not count with the current crop of Islamofascists, but down the road with future generations in the Middle East, it will help.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 03 May 2011 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

I am very happy that Bin Ladin is dead,but I wont celebrate his death because thats not my style.If others do celebrate that’s fine.As a skeptic,I dont believe he’s anywhere being judged by any deity wink he’s probably just non-existant,which is great!Its a little ironic to think that he’s not meeting Allah right now grin

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 May 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2008-02-25
Affluenza - 03 May 2011 04:24 PM

If you were to have a grand conference of terrorists, none of them would agree on any overarching goal and would probably fight eachother seeing as most of them are aimed at enacting localized change.

You’re probably right.  It was amazing whenever SPECTRE was able to pull off their meetings without everybody killing each other.

Posted: 03 May 2011 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
brightfut - 03 May 2011 02:04 PM

SHOULD you be happy?

Let’ see:

1.) I already said I don’t enjoy seeing anybody being killed.

2.) I am not an American so I probably feel the same way about 9/11 as you feel about, say, the Madrid bombing, which I assume you find just a bit less upsetting.

3.) I have had experienced what it feels like to have occupying army in your hometown (the Russians in Czechoslovakia) and can perhaps relate to bin Laden’s frustration of seeing the Americans “spreading democracy” all over the Middle East.

No, I don’t feel happiness. Besides my emotions, however, I am obviously capable of using my reasoning and I can calculate that killing bin Laden was the right thing to do. Or maybe not; I guess we’ll soon see…

Posted: 03 May 2011 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
asanta - 03 May 2011 04:28 PM
ExMachina - 03 May 2011 01:40 PM

Since they are ‘fighting for god’, and their 70 virgins, my guess would be that it would be their right hand…  shut eye

Everybody in the third-world countries uses his left hand to wipe his butt, not only the Muslims. But I am happy to see everybody here is having a good time. Hmm, makes me wonder now which hand the Hutus used to slaughter the Tutsis since they saw them as cockroaches. Hilarious, is it?  LOL

Posted: 03 May 2011 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 03 May 2011 06:40 AM

I agree with GdB. As I was watching Jon Stewart last night I found his joking about bin Laden’s death distasteful—I had to turn it off. As far as I can tell there is nothing funny about anybody getting killed. So again, I feel it was wrong but in this case it seemed like the logical thing to do.

I have to agree with you here, I find celebrating the death of another human, monster though he may be, morally disturbing. I recognize it was a necessary move, and I comment Obama for the accomplishment, but I think we need to discover what creates these monsters, how to prevent creating another, and failing that, some way to identify and disarm them before they can create another disaster… sick

After making my point, I can also agree with Orac’s take:“This is such monumental news that I think it’s appropriate to pause blogging in order to pay tribute to the brave men and women who finally not only killed the terrorist mastermind behind 9/11 but brought his body back. Well done! ”

[ Edited: 03 May 2011 08:30 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 May 2011 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

How to prevent creating another bin Laden? I dunno, accepting to pay $20 per gallon of gas and getting the hell out of the Middle East? Almost a Sophie’s choice, isn’t it?

3 of 10