thumbs-up only 0
Total Votes: 4
You must be a logged-in member to vote
thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons
Posted: 10 May 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2008-09-27

i think it would be really useful to have that option, on each and every post.

I especially feel that way when reading a long or old thread.  I don’t want to write a response to each post as i go, without seeing what others have said, but i don’t usually want to go back over it and write a reaction to each post, either. 

And of course i’d like to be able to get casual feedback more easily as well as to give it more easily.

I’m not sure if we have that option, but it looks like “science chat forum” uses the same software with different options, and they have it.  I’d even like us to do without their system of requiring that you get a thumbs-up before giving any.

Has this already been tried?  any interest?
much difficulty?

Posted: 10 May 2011 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15358
Joined  2006-02-14

It’s not a bad idea (I like Reddit and Digg as much as the next guy) but unfortunately we’re in a straitjacket with this software package. I have no control over it, personally (it’s up to the tech people, who are working full time on various tweaks, upgrades and daily tasks for the bulk of CFI’s system), and from what I understand it’s limited in what it can allow. It’d be great to have a package that were infinitely customizable, and to have a person on staff with the time and training to customize the Forum. But I think that’s not likely to happen for awhile. FWIW I’ve been asking for significantly more mundane fixes for years, with as yet few results. It’s not the fault of our back-end folks, they’re too busy with other matters, and from what I understand there are some daunting technological hurdles as well.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 May 2011 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

too bad…

here’s the scf/pcf site, fwiw:
http://www.philosophychatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10713

i guess it’s probably not the same software, after all.

Posted: 10 May 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
isaac - 10 May 2011 03:25 PM

too bad…

i guess it’s probably not the same software, after all.

Right, it’s not. Ironically I think that may be an updated version of the software we used to use here ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 May 2011 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

even sadder.

well, thanks for considering it.

Posted: 12 May 2011 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
isaac - 10 May 2011 03:25 PM

That looks like a fun forum. And did you see their thread on Free Will? It includes only one comment.  surprised

Posted: 12 May 2011 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

smile

there are other free will threads… but it’s nice to be able to go back and forth easily between science and philosophy threads, while keeping them separate. 

For now, i like it here, more.

Posted: 12 May 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
isaac - 12 May 2011 10:47 AM

Yeah, I don’t know what it is about this forum, but one of the things I do appreciate is the simplicity of the layout. Sometimes people try to destroy the local tranquility with animated emoticons and avatars (GdB!  angry ), but other than that, it’s very easy to navigate through without much of visual distraction. And the people here are nice too.

Posted: 12 May 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I certainly agree with the narrow and weak selection of icons.  I’ve noticed that very occasionally some members have managed to insert a different one in one of their posts.  How I wish I had downloaded the three pages of hundreds of wild icons from a now-defunct forum I was on years ago.  red face

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 May 2011 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 12 May 2011 03:45 PM

I certainly agree with the narrow and weak selection of icons.  I’ve noticed that very occasionally some members have managed to insert a different one in one of their posts.  How I wish I had downloaded the three pages of hundreds of wild icons from a now-defunct forum I was on years ago.  red face

Occam

I think there are websites you can link to scores of them, even here, but it’s more work.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 12 May 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I did that once, but they were all appreciably larger than the ones we use, and I didn’t know how to reduce the size.  I may try it again, since I’ve had a bit of experience changing image size.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 May 2011 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
George - 12 May 2011 12:23 PM
isaac - 12 May 2011 10:47 AM

Yeah, I don’t know what it is about this forum, but one of the things I do appreciate is the simplicity of the layout. Sometimes people try to destroy the local tranquility with animated emoticons and avatars (GdB!  angry ), but other than that, it’s very easy to navigate through without much of visual distraction. And the people here are nice too.

Gdb may be my favorite interlocutor here, and i even think his avatar is kind of cool, but… I sure do find movement on the screen distracting when i’m trying to read.  I don’t really have the heart to ask him to change it, though.  Heck, i’d probably even miss it if it were gone.  Maybe it could swap places with his picture?  I don’t think i know what would be best, or want to be responsible for anything changing… at least not very responsible.

‹‹ Notification      Profile Info ››