4 of 4
the end of the world is coming next week
Posted: 03 November 2011 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Ther are many replacements. grrr

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 November 2011 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I’ll venture a prediction here… since all of the past religious predictions of the end of the world were false (look around people, the good news is that the world is still here grin ), then I predict that all future religious predictions of the end of the world are false too.  smile

Good-bye Mr. Camping.  But I really don’t think that Camping is the problem, his supporters are where the real problem lies, they’ll find another Camping soon enough.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 03 November 2011 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, remember the people who, after a coin has come up heads twenty times in a row, are willing to bet ten to one that it will come up tails the next time.  They are the ones who’ll fall in step behind the next “prophet” (or is it “profit”?).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 November 2011 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

How do I get into the prophet business?  Did you ever see Steve Martin in “Leap of Faith”, that was a great movie for the skeptics, showing a fictitious behind-the-scenes look at roaming rural Protestant revival, a good one but it did have a bad ending, the preacher started to believe in miracles in the end.  Oh well.

Occam. - 03 November 2011 05:55 PM

Nah, remember the people who, after a coin has come up heads twenty times in a row, are willing to bet ten to one that it will come up tails the next time.  They are the ones who’ll fall in step behind the next “prophet” (or is it “profit”?).

Maybe you think the people realize that they made a mistake and so they will change by not following a Camping-like profit again, Occam?  I’m guessing that his followers chose him because of his prophesies, and so they will choose another prophet like him.  Don’t the Protestants make a free choice of who they support, they look for a preacher that is as extreme or as moderate as they are about religion?  I don’t see Camping as unique, I see him as part of a long line of extremism including Terry Jones, Fred Phelps, Warran Jeffs, Oral Roberts, Tim Lehey, Jerry Falwell, the Salem Witch trials, and so on.  I don’t think that these preachers are universally followed, but they are supported by enough followers to do some damage and make it into the news.  Agreed?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 05 November 2011 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2011-09-20

He was wrong by 201,000 miles - which ain’t much.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/huge-asteroid-headed-close-encounter-earth-184902787.html

Posted: 05 November 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Maybe you think the people realize that they made a mistake and so they will change by not following a Camping-like profit again, Occam?

Absolutely not.  Most people who fall for this will do it over and over and over.  They can’t say or think, “Gee, I got sucked into believing something that stupid” because they aren’t willing to admit to themselves that they can’t think clearly.  So, they’ll get sucked into the next one that comes along again.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

4 of 4