Community College Offers Class in Ghost Hunting
Posted: 15 May 2011 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-20

Greetings,

My wife was chortling when she pointed the following out to me, well aware I was going to go ballistic.

Below is the syllabus/description for a class at Chemeketa Community College (that’s here, in Salem, OR).

Personal Enrichment
New! Ghost Hunting an Introduction to Paranormal Investigation

Experience paranormal investigation first-hand, and use the latest equipment and techniques for investigating the paranormal. You’ll learn about proper techniques [!!!!!] and procedures for conducting paranormal investigations, understand different types of haunting, and practice with equipment used to conduct investigations. You’ll also get some tips on obtaining permission [!!???!!], and find out about potential dangers associated with paranormal investigations.

[like getting shot or locked up for trespass]
[emphasis added]

Bernard Powell, Instructor, 6-8 pm, Mondays, June 20 - July 25, Chemeketa Salem Campus, Bldg. 3, Rm. 105

(CRN 17597) $99 Register by June 15 or gegister online and save $10

Okay, my question. What’s my best course to sink this class. I need practical advise on how to get through to the community college that is bogus bs and as such, has NO place in any college receiving ANY funding from the public.

Thanks, people.

Signature 

TG Browning>>>
http://www.revisedevilsdictionary.com

Posted: 15 May 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

I’d only take it if it was taught by Egon Spengler.

Posted: 15 May 2011 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

My dream approach to such a situation:

Have a magician-skeptic who specializes in recreating seances and haunted-type magic rig up a local house to the hilt.  Put the word out about the house being haunted.  A YouTube video of stuff going on at the house to help convince the instructor to lead a field trip to the house.  Once there he and his students will see things they can’t explain.  They will also swear their fancy high-tech gear (of which they don’t truly understand) is showing them readings.  On the second field trip to the “haunted” house, have a local TV news crew on hand to tape the instructor and students talking about how it would be impossible to fake what they saw.  Then spring the truth on them, that they were taken in by tricks. 

The only possible down side is that the news crew might not like that angle of the story, and instead focus just on the fluff piece of the ghost hunting class.  But if you found the right reporter who has pro-science and pro-skeptic leanings, it could work.  I’m thinking of a John Stossel type.  But such reporters who care about the truth over a good story or going with what is popular are rare.     

It would take some time and just a bit of money.  But something similar has been done before:  Project Alpha.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 15 May 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-20
ShadowSot - 15 May 2011 02:49 PM

I’d only take it if it was taught by Egon Spengler.

Well, I might too. I’d certainly take it if Veckman were teaching it.

I kind of hold Edmund Scientific responsible for some of this. Their catalog has gone so far downhill I can’t even see it for the mist….

Signature 

TG Browning>>>

Posted: 15 May 2011 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Joe Nickell has an article in the latest Skeptical Inquirer about how the otherwise respectable and “scholarly publisher for the Commonwealth,” the University Press of Kentucky went the Woo Woo route with one of their books and his dealings with it.  He also talks about it a little in this episode of the Monster Talk Podcast.  Perhaps contacting him could help you figure out what a good first step would be.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 15 May 2011 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

You may also check to identify both the least “spiritually aware” and the most anti-money-for-education members of your Origon legislature and write them letters complaining about this. Have your friends do the same, and try to find a secular group to write also.  They’ll quickly get on the back of the college administation.  And college administrators are notoriously without backbone when it comes to legislators threatening their budgets.  I’m sure it wouldn’t take much for that class to be cancelled.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 May 2011 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

It is awful that they would use precious resources to offer such a useless class. Complain, complain, complain!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 May 2011 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-20

Well, I can think of a lot of things what would upset me more. But I really do have a problem with the funding. Chemeketa has a very shaky funding history on a number of things and with the economy the way it is, there are a lot of classes that could be offered that would really help some people. I can’t see anything productive coming out of this.

People can believe in ghosts if they want. Most of the time it’s totally harmless.  But the damn shows on the SyFy channel really promote a horribly naive mindset that can really cause problems.

TG Browning>>>

Signature 

TG Browning>>>

Posted: 16 May 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

I made the suggestion of contacting The New England Skeptical Society, the great folks who give us the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast, since it appears to be in their neck of the woods where “ghosts” are the Woo De jour in that part of the country.  Perhaps if they get the word out on their podcast, their huge number of listeners could contact the college and make their concerns known.

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 16 May 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-20
Rocinante - 16 May 2011 10:48 AM

I made the suggestion of contacting The New England Skeptical Society, the great folks who give us the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast, since it appears to be in their neck of the woods where “ghosts” are the Woo De jour in that part of the country.  Perhaps if they get the word out on their podcast, their huge number of listeners could contact the college and make their concerns known.

Will check it out.  Right now, am planning on talking to a guy at the local (Statesman Journal, Salem, OR) paper about this. Got a couple of ideas…

And thanks.  This is all much appreciated.

TG Browning>>>

Signature 

TG Browning>>>

Posted: 02 June 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3046
Joined  2010-04-26

I know a ghost hunter.  So far as I know, she’s never taken a college course in it.  All she had to do was smoke tons of pot, drink gallons of Mt Dew, and get really into Neo-Paganism.  Oh the arguments we’ve had. LOL

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 04 June 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I know a ghost hunter.  So far as I know, she’s never taken a college course in it.  All she had to do was smoke tons of pot, drink gallons of Mt Dew, and get really into Neo-Paganism.

Did she remember to hire an agent to pitch the book deal and the latest series to air on the SciFi Channel?

If she didn’t, she’s doing it wrong. cheese

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 06 June 2011 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3046
Joined  2010-04-26

Nah.  She’s never looked into a book deal as far as I know.  She’s not a very good ghost hunter. wink

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron