Philosophy Forums
Posted: 19 May 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  341
Joined  2008-09-10

Does anyone happen to know the status of this admirable forum?  It seems to have gone—“account suspended.”

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 May 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
ciceronianus - 19 May 2011 11:56 AM

Does anyone happen to know the status of this admirable forum?  It seems to have gone—“account suspended.”

question

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 May 2011 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5488
Joined  2010-06-16

I don’t know what you’re talking about Cic.  Could you expand and explain?  Thanks

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 May 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-09-10

Sorry for being unclear.  There is (was?) a site called “Philosophy Forums”, (forums.philosophyforums.com) which appears to have vanished.  When I try to access it, I’m advised the account has been suspended.  I’m not certain if I’ve been banned, or if the site has been suspended by the higher powers who govern the Internet.  I thought it was possible some members of this forum participate in that forum, and just thought I’d check.

Signature 

—F. Schiller

Posted: 19 May 2011 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4721
Joined  2007-10-05

There is no way to be sure from the terse message on the page. The account could have been suspended for nonpayment or simply because the ISP decided it was generating too much traffic.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 May 2011 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-05-20
ciceronianus - 19 May 2011 04:07 PM

Sorry for being unclear.  There is (was?) a site called “Philosophy Forums”, (forums.philosophyforums.com) which appears to have vanished.  When I try to access it, I’m advised the account has been suspended.  I’m not certain if I’ve been banned, or if the site has been suspended by the higher powers who govern the Internet.  I thought it was possible some members of this forum participate in that forum, and just thought I’d check.

You know, it’s funny. Everyone thinks they have been banned, which shows
how strict the administrators are. Hopefully Paul get’s it working. Or at least
send info what happened. I’d send even a nickle, if it helps.

But in the horrible event that it’s gone forever, is this then a good site?

Posted: 20 May 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-06-20
PhilosophyForumsBack - 20 May 2011 01:42 AM

I was in the middle of two good discussions on the ethics sub-forum of forums.philosophyforums.com when it went down a couple of days ago.  I am anxious to resume them and as would “PhilosophyForumsBack” (which I initially misinterpreted as a claim the site was back up), I would be glad to make a donation to assist in that process.

But “in the horrible event that it’s gone forever” I do not see this CFI forum as a useful substitute.  This CFI forum has only a single active forum for Philosophy. The forums.philosophyforums.com had perhaps 8(?) active forums in sub forums such as the subforum I posted to: Ethics.

It seems to me strange that CFI’s forums do not have a specific forum for ethics and morality, when I see humanistic ethics and morality as one of the leading issues preventing humanism becoming more generally accepted in public life.

Establishing a CFI ethics and morality sub forum would help, but it will still be a long time before I expect we could match the traffic and quality of postings on forums.philosophyforums.com, so I am hoping the problems with that host are sorted out.

[ Edited: 20 May 2011 01:05 PM by Mark Sloan ]

Posted: 20 May 2011 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-09-10
PhilosophyForumsBack - 20 May 2011 01:42 AM

Well, I can be annoying, I’m afraid, and have sometimes wondered if I’ve been too annoying.  I certainly hope there is a resurrection, so to speak.  This is a good forum as well, though not specific to philosophy.  And, it seems there other philosophy forums available also.  But if it’s gone, I will miss it.

Signature 

—F. Schiller

Posted: 20 May 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-05-20

Before the site got shut down, Paul was saying that we just had a record number of people online, and his ISP suggested that he go with a $90 per month plan.  I’m guessing that it was suspended because his bandwidth was exceeded.  I suppose we’ll see if Paul puts up the cash to get it back online.

Posted: 20 May 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-20
ciceronianus - 20 May 2011 01:02 PM

Well, I can be annoying, I’m afraid, and have sometimes wondered if I’ve been too annoying.  I certainly hope there is a resurrection, so to speak.  This is a good forum as well, though not specific to philosophy.  And, it seems there other philosophy forums available also.  But if it’s gone, I will miss it.

Actually I feel sorry for those who had been more years there than me, were more active than me and nearly all the time hanging there. Yes, obviously they should get a life and now is a perfect time to start but anyway. The other rather annoying thing is that many discussion threads had very useful links. Copy pasting the philosophy resources thread would have been a good thing to do. When you start seriously debating something there’s always those links and references to good sites and articles. I noticed that looking at past discussions years ago I could use them to remember things (for instance on the logic and math forum) as old age doesn’t come alone. Of course, this forum and especially the other forums with philosophy can also have splendid links and references, but then I would have to know what has been already discussed. Looking through past discussions is extremely difficult. And then there is the problem that you do not know the people. In any forum there usually are those few who know a lot about the subject and give the good answers to the usual newbies with little or no understanding and with doing that make the forum useful. In topics like the philosophy of math and logic this is important. But familiarization to a forum takes a while. In short, it takes a while to know what is a good forum.

Things like forums getting off the air show easily how disjointed the net is. When I was still in the university I made history paper that was put into the net and the professor promised it would be there. To my amazement, the paper was referred several times on other sites talking about the topic (as it was nearly the only paper about the historical event in the net which the search engines found). Then the University shut down the site obviously as the organization went onto some new system. Pretty annoying as from my times studying in the university, this was the only paper that got some ‘impact’ (and not my rather clumsy thesis).

Btw, nice that you ciceronianus are consistent with the name and avatar. At least in Philosophy Forums (which hopefully does resurrect) you weren’t annoying.

Posted: 20 May 2011 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-20
Kamerynn - 20 May 2011 03:51 PM

Before the site got shut down, Paul was saying that we just had a record number of people online, and his ISP suggested that he go with a $90 per month plan.  I’m guessing that it was suspended because his bandwidth was exceeded.  I suppose we’ll see if Paul puts up the cash to get it back online.

Well, this is far more positive information and hence likely it will be coming back. I did also notice that the site had sometimes gone down perhaps because of heavy traffic. Beside’s, that’s 1080 dollars a year. I think scraping up a thousand bucks wouldn’t be an overwhelming thing to do. I assume then if/when it comes back up, there’s going to be a lengthy philosophical discussion about it…

Posted: 20 May 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
PhilosophyForumsBack - 20 May 2011 05:08 PM

Well, this is far more positive information and hence likely it will be coming back. I did also notice that the site had sometimes gone down perhaps because of heavy traffic. Beside’s, that’s 1080 dollars a year. I think scraping up a thousand bucks wouldn’t be an overwhelming thing to do. I assume then if/when it comes back up, there’s going to be a lengthy philosophical discussion about it…

Members of the forum could contribute in order to make it cheap.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 May 2011 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-06-20
PhilosophyForumsBack - 20 May 2011 05:08 PM

I’d be gad to sponsor a month myself.  A couple of people have mentioned “Paul” in connection with that forum.  Anyone have an email address for him?

Posted: 20 May 2011 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-05-20

Hi,

I’d also be happy to up my subs.

Cheers.

Posted: 21 May 2011 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-20
Mark Sloan - 20 May 2011 08:22 PM

I’d be gad to sponsor a month myself.  A couple of people have mentioned “Paul” in connection with that forum.  Anyone have an email address for him?

Well, it’s back online. And yes, in our difficult economic times the problem seems to have been money.

Posted: 21 May 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-09-10
PhilosophyForumsBack - 21 May 2011 01:16 AM
Mark Sloan - 20 May 2011 08:22 PM

Well, it’s back online. And yes, in our difficult economic times the problem seems to have been money.

As I understand it, Paul Ryan found a solution to PF’s budget problems.

Signature 

—F. Schiller