Grigori Perelman. What does he mean by this?
Posted: 19 May 2011 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Jr. Member
Avatar
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-07-28

In a recent interview, Perelman made a number of interesting statements regarding work he is engaged in. The article is here.

Perelman says, “I have found a way to calculate voids; together with my colleagues we are studying mechanisms for filling social and economical voids. Such voids are everywhere. They can be calculated and it opens great possibilities… I know how to control the universe.

Now of course, the translation is bad (void is rendered ‘caverns’ in the article), and Perelman might be pulling everyone’s leg. All things being equal, what is he going on about?

Profile
 
 
Posted: 20 May 2011 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Sr. Member
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Not enough information.

 Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Profile
 
 
Posted: 20 May 2011 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Jr. Member
Avatar
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-07-28
TromboneAndrew - 20 May 2011 12:15 AM

Not enough information.

Agreed, it’s sparse. Given Perelman’s background though, I was wondering if any resident cfi mathematicians would mind speculating.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 20 May 2011 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Sr. Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

I suspect (hope?) Perelman was speaking metaphorically when he said he knows how to control the universe. We know little about the man, other than he is an excellent mathematician and shuns attention.

 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 20 May 2011 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Sr. Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 20 May 2011 07:14 AM

I suspect (hope?) Perelman was speaking metaphorically when he said he knows how to control the universe. We know little about the man, other than he is an excellent mathematician and shuns attention.

Excellent indeed. The only person to solve a Milleniumm Problem (Poincaré Conjecture).

 Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Profile
 
 
Posted: 20 May 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Jr. Member
Avatar
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-07-28

Maybe he is saying that the ‘negative space’ around objects and events is a better determinant of causality? He is a master of topology after all. Pure speculation on my part (obviously), but it does raise some interesting questions. Maybe we regard causality from the wrong standpoint. Perhaps the ‘void’ (quantum vacuum) from which the universe arose should be the object of study, not the matter/energy in it? The geometry of space has been used as a starting point for particle mass determination in exotic hypotheses such as Heim Theory.

[ Edited: 20 May 2011 12:56 PM by sixfootbrit ]
Profile
 
 
Posted: 20 May 2011 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Moderator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Since he mentions “social and economic” in the beginning of that sentence, I’m guessing he was also referring to the social and economic universe rather than the general universe.

Occam

 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 21 May 2011 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Sr. Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
sixfootbrit - 20 May 2011 10:02 AM

Maybe he is saying that the ‘negative space’ around objects and events is a better determinant of causality? He is a master of topology after all. Pure speculation on my part (obviously), but it does raise some interesting questions. Maybe we regard causality from the wrong standpoint. Perhaps the ‘void’ (quantum vacuum) from which the universe arose should be the object of study, not the matter/energy in it? The geometry of space has been used as a starting point for particle mass determination in exotic hypotheses such as Heim Theory.

That is an excellent point. Baryonic matter comprises only 4% of the universe, so maybe we should devote more time to studying the other 96%.

 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 21 May 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Jr. Member
Avatar
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-07-28
DarronS - 21 May 2011 06:47 AM

That is an excellent point. Baryonic matter comprises only 4% of the universe, so maybe we should devote more time to studying the other 96%.

Thanks Darron. When studying Swiss cheese, perhaps the holes are the salient feature!

Profile