1 of 2
Good place to buy ebooks?
Posted: 20 May 2011 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

It seems that this would have already been discussed, but I did a search of titles in the General Discussion forum for ebook and the results came up empty.

Has anyone found a great place to buy ebooks? I saw a site (ebooktrial.com) that seems to have an incredible collection (like “Henri Poincare - Critic of Crisis: Reflections on His Universe of Discourse”)
. but I don’t trust sites with which I’m not familiar.

I hope this doesn’t attract solicitors. It just seems that this is a good group of people to ask. FWIW, I have a Kindle and really like it except that it is not good for books/articles full of pictures or diagrams (like astronomy books). For regular text books, it is quite nice.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 May 2011 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4751
Joined  2007-10-05

Other than Amazon (Kindle) I have not found any site that has the breadth of offerings at ebooktrial.com. Thanks for the link. How much does it cost to sign up?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 May 2011 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 20 May 2011 01:07 PM

Other than Amazon (Kindle) I have not found any site that has the breadth of offerings at ebooktrial.com. Thanks for the link. How much does it cost to sign up?

Oh I haven’t signed up. I want to know more about it first. A monthly subscription is $39 but I don’t know if you get to keep what you download. I agree that the selection looks great - but it seems too good to be true, so I wait. I mean after all, they have an encyclopedia of astronomy worth $650 that is free to subscribers. But I don’t know if the download self-destructs after cancelling a subscription or not.

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

According to the FAQ the default format is PDF. I doubt they have a self-destruct mechanism built into PDFs. If so I have Acrobat Pro, so saving the file with a different name will be trivial.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 20 May 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 20 May 2011 02:27 PM

According to the FAQ the default format is PDF. I doubt they have a self-destruct mechanism built into PDFs. If so I have Acrobat Pro, so saving the file with a different name will be trivial.

Good to know. See, that’s the kind of smarts I knew I’d find here.

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2390
Joined  2007-07-05

I don’t understand how most people select the books they read.

http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=subject:“Science+Fiction”&btnE=Find+Ebooks

Plenty of people say they like or dislike some particular book but don’t do that good a job of explaining why.  I have read books and formed an opinion and then read a lot of reviews and I can usually find someone with an opinion similar to mine.  But I have yet to see how I can find them before I read the book.

With all of this complaining about education and its cost one would think creating a great list of public domain books for kids would be a high priority.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 20 May 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
psikeyhackr - 20 May 2011 03:22 PM

I don’t understand how most people select the books they read.

http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=subject:“Science+Fiction”&btnE=Find+Ebooks

Plenty of people say they like or dislike some particular book but don’t do that good a job of explaining why.  I have read books and formed an opinion and then read a lot of reviews and I can usually find someone with an opinion similar to mine.  But I have yet to see how I can find them before I read the book.

With all of this complaining about education and its cost one would think creating a great list of public domain books for kids would be a high priority.

psik

I know what you mean, psik. BTW, do you recommend/use inkmesh???

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-04-20
traveler - 20 May 2011 02:37 PM

There is actually a way for the publisher or online book store to make those .pdf e-books unreadable/ unusable after you cancel your subscription with them or after a certain amount of time.

Last spring I bought an academic ebook/pdf book from a publisher that had an “expiration date”. As hard as I tried to save that book under a different name or file format, it still expired. The only way for me to keep that book was to print it out.

Posted: 20 May 2011 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Alpheia - 20 May 2011 04:15 PM
traveler - 20 May 2011 02:37 PM

There is actually a way for the publisher or online book store to make those .pdf e-books unreadable/ unusable after you cancel your subscription with them or after a certain amount of time.

Last spring I bought an academic ebook/pdf book from a publisher that had an “expiration date”. As hard as I tried to save that book under a different name or file format, it still expired. The only way for me to keep that book was to print it out.

Interesting. Thanks Alpheia.

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I had forgotten about that, Alpheia. Thanks for the info. Printing the book seems to defeat the purpose of buying an ebook.

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-04-20

I wish I could be of more help! I have tried hard to circumvent the “Digital Rights Management” technology but it is tough. It seems a person needs to be a hacker to get around it. I think asking questions about that issue directly with the potential ebook store might be helpful in deciding whether or not you want to buy from them. Hopeful they will be helpful and upfront about it.

Keep us abreast on what you find. I am interested in buying ebooks too.

I would not recommend going to the down load/ file sharing sites like Rapid Share, ect. You can get nasty bugs from those sites.

Posted: 20 May 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I just sent their support team a question asking about DRM. It will be interesting to find out about their policy.

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2011 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 20 May 2011 06:56 PM

I just sent their support team a question asking about DRM. It will be interesting to find out about their policy.

Thanks Darron! Now I don’t have to.  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2011 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I got a reply overnight.

You are allowed to use any device to read, you may store copies of the book on your eReader, PC and laptop. We are strictly against DRM hassle.

Sounds good to me.

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2011 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 21 May 2011 05:22 AM

I got a reply overnight.

You are allowed to use any device to read, you may store copies of the book on your eReader, PC and laptop. We are strictly against DRM hassle.

Sounds good to me.

Strictly against DRM. Sweet!

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2011 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1757
Joined  2007-10-22

I find many books to read in the bibliography of the books I am reading.  I do have a reader however I am still purchasing most of my books hard cover through the various discount flyers I recieve ie. Edward Hamilton,  I find it cheaper and am often surprised at the quality of books they offer (along with the ususal romance novels.)

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

1 of 2